X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation Warrant Officer Info

Just talked to the Aviation recruiter and I meet all the qualifications so far, I just have to to wait 7 more month till i hit my one year mark to submit my packet (Im prior service army and got back in a few months ago). I browesd this site looking for some info and advice, im just woundering the pro's and con's. Who just went through this process? How did you like it? Would you do it over? and what are the major things to keep up on during the selection process, and whats the best prep for the AFAST.

Re: Aviation Warrant Officer Info

Ask your Aviation Recruiter to set you up with some Warrants from the local unit so they can give you the 4-1-1...

Comment

There's a couple AFAST study guides out there - all about the same. One is avail for free thru AKO under my library & test prep. Don't stress about it, it's not really difficult. Just familiarize with helo knowledge & cyclic orientation. Practice complex movements till you have it down & the key memorized. Everything else will remind you of an ASVAB.

As far as the rest... that year thing is a state standard. Not all states have it, and it's enforced in different ways where it does exist. We for instance would generally waive that for a prior service soldier, other states won't. The ONLY purpose of it is to make sure you understand and can meet your obligations as an M-day soldier - so make sure you understand what you're getting into. It's a big commitment of time and effort that's going to stick with you for a lot of years.

The packet you need to do for the board can take several months to get done - primarily in getting interviews scheduled with a part-time &/or out-of-town chain of command so you can get stuff signed off. Point being, use that time to have everything 110% ready to turn over to the board at least a full month prior to being eligible.

Once you are selected, you're most likely going to have a long wait before you can go to school. During that time you need to be staying on top of PT (the grading standard down there has been insane, but it changing for the better). You really don't need to worry about 5&9 yet. You're going to have a 5+mo hold between WOCS and BOLC anyway & that's still 3-4mos out before you start flying.

Comment

Originally posted by California Major
        Ask your Aviation Recruiter to set you up with some Warrants from the local unit so they can give you the 4-1-1...
        However try and make sure they are W1's, the process is sooo different now. A CW4 will just scare you with war stories....

Comment

Originally posted by smithsteven63
          Just talked to the Aviation recruiter and I meet all the qualifications so far, I just have to to wait 7 more month till i hit my one year mark to submit my packet (Im prior service army and got back in a few months ago). I browesd this site looking for some info and advice, im just woundering the pro's and con's. Who just went through this process? How did you like it? Would you do it over? and what are the major things to keep up on during the selection process, and whats the best prep for the AFAST.
          Regarding the AFAST: There is a portion where there are curved arrows representing right, left, up and down. They don't really make sense and on the real test you have no time to think about them. Make flashcards of all the different combos (eg. up right, up left, down right, etc.) and memorize them. It's easy to do and I think it helped me a lot.

Comment

^ That's complex movements.

The process is significantly different than it was not even 10 years ago. And, it's continuing to change a lot. In fact, it'll be a lot different probably a year or two from now.

So yeah, the senior WOs will not be able to tell you much about the application process or flight school, but they can tell you a lot about being a career WO. Newer guys can tell you what they went through, but they don't have any experience with the longer term. You're going to end up gathering information from a lot of different sources, and still have great big blank spots you can only infer answers to.

Honestly, don't worry too much about that stuff. Yeah, figure out what you're getting into, but don't stress about the details. Buy off on the big picture and jump in with both feet. The process isn't that hard. You'll end up where you want to be.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info, I will defenetly set up a meeting with a new Warrant to get the low down. I have a five day drill coming up so thats the perfect time to study for the AFAST.

Comment

Working...
              X