X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making officers take asvab

For those officers that are DC, would anyone else agree that they should have to take the asvab.

I think it would be a good idea.

Re: making officers take asvab

Why would a md need to take the asvab? If he/she got thru medical school we can assume they are smart without a high school level test.
    Last edited by RandyB; July 20th, 2010, 09:09 PM.

Comment

There is no point. It would serve no legal or regulatory purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
        Why would a md need to take the asvab? If he/she got thru medical school we can assume they are smart without a high school level test.
        MD's are not the only officers that are DC.

Comment

No but besides nurses most have a masters degree at the min so why make them take a test designed for those who have just graduated high school. Those who direct commission do so in a specific branch for their special skills.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
            No but besides nurses most have a masters degree at the min so why make them take a test designed for those who have just graduated high school. Those who direct commission do so in a specific branch for their special skills.
            You mean those DCing? Or in general? I am positive the latter is not true.
            Last edited by SteveLord; July 21st, 2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

You can have Direct Commissions in other fields besides Medical.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
                For those officers that are DC, would anyone else agree that they should have to take the asvab.

I think it would be a good idea.
                It'd be a waste of everyone's time.

Medical Corps, JAG and Chaplain Corps all require bachelor's and graduate degrees (medical school, law school, and theology, respectively). In the other health fields, you also need advanced training to get DC'd.

The ASVAB is designed to find out which fields you're suitable for. All DC's are theoretically proven capable in the fields they're being commissioned for, so requiring the ASVAB would be a waste of everyone's time and effort. Why would you want to give it?

Comment

He got a 98 on his ASVAB. Maybe he wants to compare with other officers his GT scores. You know pride before the fall...lol

Comment

HAHA or you could turn around and say that, since it would be so easy anyway due to the high level of education most officers possess, that they should take the ASVAB anyway. That way, they'd be able to say that they passed the same test their subordinates took.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                      You mean those DCing? Or in general? I am positive the latter is not true.
                      Yeah dc. Those commissioning through OCS already have to take the asvab, ROTC doesn't though.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier
                        That way, they'd be able to say that they passed the same test their subordinates took.
                        Meh. An officer chasing down every test or qual to show he's as good as his subordinates just looks sad. If a test doesn't have an actual function, taking it is time better spent working.

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead
                          Meh. An officer chasing down every test or qual to show he's as good as his subordinates just looks sad. If a test doesn't have an actual function, taking it is time better spent working.
                          I totally agree! A waste of time and talents IMO.

Comment

Hah I can see it now. "I finished that ASVAB to prove to my troops that I am so high speed hooahooah".

Comment

Forget the ASVAB, more Land Nav! Everybody wins!

Comment

Working...
                              X