X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAG training

I recently got selected as an ALNG JAG officer. My FedRec board is August 19, and my recruiter said I'd start drills in September.

I know that the standard training process is a 10-day indoctrination, 10.5-weeks at TJAGLCS, and then after that I'm foggy and so is my recruiter because it keeps changing. What's after TJAG?

And also, is there any chance I could do the TJAGLCS phase in something other than 10.5 consecutive weeks? I know everybody says "just pull the band-aid off," but I'm starting a new business (solo practice) and I've got a brand new baby, and I've got a new house, and I've got contract obligations I'd rather not renege on. All things being equal, it was not a good time for my application to be selected (it's been pending for like a year and a half now).

In the alternative, is there any way I could go to the Air Force JAG school instead? I know service members go to each others' schools all the time, but I've never known anybody to do it for initial training.

If it makes any difference, I'll be in the 167th TSC.

Re: JAG training

The short answer is, no.

You'll also find that it's more disruptive to come and go than it is to be gone for an extended period. You've got a year to complete the training, work with your chain of command to schedule the latest possible date.

Your message demonstrates why it's harder to serve as a Guard officer than as an active component officer.

Comment

The JAGs at State HQ, are good, listen to them and they can show you what you need. What unit are you with? and Welcome to the ALNG.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
        The JAGs at State HQ, are good, listen to them and they can show you what you need. What unit are you with? and Welcome to the ALNG.
        All I know is that I'm with the 167th Theater Sustainment Command in Anniston. I would presume that means I'm working with the HQ unit, but there's not a whole lot of information about the 167th TSC out there on the interwebs, and I don't know anybody in the unit to ask questions of. My recruiter is supposed to be getting back to me with some contact info, but has not yet done so.

LTC Ritchie, I figured that was going to be the answer, but I was hopeful. Being completely out of the practice for 12 weeks at one time is likely on the order of a $38,000.00 hit for me (because it will nix an annual contract, not because I make that much in three months). I'll have to figure out a way to work the phones and the emails to try to squeeze everything in. How much "free time" do you get during the TJAGLCS phase?

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKhan
          LTC Ritchie, I figured that was going to be the answer, but I was hopeful. Being completely out of the practice for 12 weeks at one time is likely on the order of a $38,000.00 hit for me (because it will nix an annual contract, not because I make that much in three months). I'll have to figure out a way to work the phones and the emails to try to squeeze everything in.
          I work on the medical side of the fence and assist with recruiting. The one thing I tell interested parties is to think long and hard about joining the Guard if you're setting up a solo practice. 120 days away from a solo business can be very, very tough. Much easier for someone working for an established company. Hope things work out for you.
          Last edited by notyetdead; July 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKhan
            I recently got selected as an ALNG JAG officer. My FedRec board is August 19, and my recruiter said I'd start drills in September.

I know that the standard training process is a 10-day indoctrination, 10.5-weeks at TJAGLCS, and then after that I'm foggy and so is my recruiter because it keeps changing. What's after TJAG?
            After 12 days at Ft. Lee and then 10.5 weeks in C-ville you'll have six weeks at the Direct Commission Officers Course at Ft. Benning.

Prior to the 181st JAOBC (which just completed DCC in June) it was four weeks of DCC and then six weeks of BOLC II. With the elimination of BOLC II, DCC was boosted to six weeks.

While in the C-ville phase, evenings and weekends are yours. There are some written assignments that need to be completed during that time though.

Check out the blog posts at armystrongstories.com (especially the posts by 1LTs Bobby Luyties and Earl Wilson- they were in the 181st).
            http://www.armystrongstories.com/cat...ocate-general/

Any word on what JAOBC course you will be in (183rd or 184th)?

(Not a recruiter...just another JAG applicant waiting in medical waiver land.)

Comment

I haven't had contact with my unit yet, so no training has been scheduled.

Comment

The TSC, is a huge unit in Alabama, they have all different types of companies and batts. Their HQ is in Anniston at Ft. McClellan. Its kinda like a Jack of all Trades type HQ.

Comment

Working...
                X