X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Total Training Time

I'm trying to make sure I've got all my information correct with regards to officer training.

BCT - 10 weeks
    OCS - 24 months(drilling) or 12 weeks Federal or 8 weeks Accelerated
    BOLC - 12 - 14 weeks depending on branch

Once all that is complete, I would be deployable.

Is it possible to come back from BOLC and immediately get deployed for 12 months?

I'm assuming that there is no way to split up BOLC, or that no guard/reserve version exists.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 21st, 2011, 09:35 AM.

Re: Understanding Total Training Time

Originally posted by ciband
    I'm trying to make sure I've got all my information correct with regards to officer training.

BCT - 10 weeks
    OCS - 24 months(drilling) or 12 weeks Federal or 8 weeks Accelerated
    BOLC - 12 - 14 weeks depending on branch

Once all that is complete, I would be deployable.

Is it possible to come back from BOLC and immediately get deployed for 12 months?

I'm assuming that there is no way to split up BOLC, or that no guard/reserve version exists.

Thanks.
    Deployment after is possible depending on the state and such. Why wuold you want to split it up? You're going to deploy eventually, joining and trying not to won't get you very far..
    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I fully understand that I will get deployed if I joined and I'm fine with that. I know deployment/long training periods are hard on the family so if I can minimize that hardship then I would like to.

I would also think that I would be totally unprepared for deployment after BOLC as far as not having the time between BOLC and deployment to learn my actual job in my unit, but maybe the time between OCS and BOLC would take care of that.

Comment

I fully understand that I will get deployed if I joined and I'm fine with that. I know deployment/long training periods are hard on the family so if I can minimize that hardship then I would like to.

I would also think that I would be totally unprepared for deployment after BOLC as far as not having the time between BOLC and deployment to learn my actual job in my unit, but maybe the time between OCS and BOLC would take care of that.
        OCS will teach you the battle side, leading your troops and taking care of the men. BOLC will teach you your actual job, whatever your concentration is.

In essence, you will NEVER know everything you need to fully make EVERY right decision. As an LT, you're are expected and assumed to make mistakes. But you are also expected to learn from those mistakes. Before you go to combat, you will have train up time to learn a ton more about what you must do to keep you and your soldiers as safe as possible. If you want a heads up, there's plenty of manuals and books to help give you some idea of what you can do or expect in your first 30, 60, 100 days.

But just like a private who is new to the unit and will aggravate a SGT, you will annoy your commander at some point. Just learn from your mistakes and you will be ok. Keep soldiers first always, you no longer have the pleasure of only worry about yourself. But the satisfaction of seeing them healthy and happy is worth the self-sacrifice...
        Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 21st, 2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information and the incite, EOrsini. I appreciate it.

Comment

Do whatever you need to do within the rules and regulations to take care of your family and minimizing the hardship during your training, because the Army won't.

Comment

Working...
            X