X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCS order of events question..

I was wondering if anybody knew which states allow Officer Candidates to go to federal OCS. I am in IL.....I heard more states are allowing candidates to join the federal OCS program in FT. Benning. This would be my first choice if it is available. I know California sends alot of candidates to Benning, just wondering if I had any shot at all in IL. I leave for BCT to Benning in less than 20 days. Any info would be helpful

Re: Ocs Question (il)

Just curious but why?

Comment

Re: Ocs Question (il)

Your state has discretion on which program. I have seen much more going federal lately.

Comment

OCS order of events question..

I have reviewed MANY threads searching for answers as to what to expect once I get back from BCT. I enlisted as an O9S at the beginning of July and will ship out July 26th to FT Benning. When I get back..I was told I would be contacted by an officer recruiter regarding OCS. However, these are my questions of the process.

1.) Do I have to go before a board before I even go to OCS? I heard that everything in your "packet" must be squared away first.
        2.) I also heard that a letter recommendation is needed from an O-5? The highest ranked person at my unit thus far is a CPT (O-3) How would I go about this process?
        3.) No one tells you (or told me) that your enlisted contract is void after you commission...and adds ANOTHER 6 years once your a commissioned. Does this effect the student loans that I have in my enlisted contract that will be paid off by the Guard??
        4.) Basically...if anyone just went through the process recently--if they could give me the ins and outs of the process--that would be fantastic and truly appreciated.

Comment

Re: OCS order of events question..

Originally posted by jmls1987
          I have reviewed MANY threads searching for answers as to what to expect once I get back from BCT. I enlisted as an O9S at the beginning of July and will ship out July 26th to FT Benning. When I get back..I was told I would be contacted by an officer recruiter regarding OCS. However, these are my questions of the process.

1.) Do I have to go before a board before I even go to OCS? I heard that everything in your "packet" must be squared away first.
          2.) I also heard that a letter recommendation is needed from an O-5? The highest ranked person at my unit thus far is a CPT (O-3) How would I go about this process?
          3.) No one tells you (or told me) that your enlisted contract is void after you commission...and adds ANOTHER 6 years once your a commissioned. Does this effect the student loans that I have in my enlisted contract that will be paid off by the Guard??
          4.) Basically...if anyone just went through the process recently--if they could give me the ins and outs of the process--that would be fantastic and truly appreciated.
          Someof this is state dependent but you honestly need to talk to your states Officer Strength Manager (OSM) staff to get some of your answers.

In New Jersey these would be the answers to your questions as they happened to people in MY class, others could or probably were different.

1) Your "packet" will be assembled in phase zero, or while drilling in the OCS prep-platoon after basic. It will consist of an autobiography, your 62E, SGLI, etc. The basics. Every drill you will be constantly hammered about it until it's done and bring in a "i love me book" with every bit of paperwork under the sun and they will take copies of it time and time again until they quit losing it.

2) Not required for 09S, since as an 09S you are contractually obligated a slot in OCS.

3) In NJ they do not offer SLRP as part of 09s so I cannot answer that, but from what I've heard (emphasis on heard) is that upon your commission your enlistment contract is voided and you incur a 6 year service obligation...so 6 years obligated from the day you raise your right hand and pin on the gold bar.

I'm prior USAF so I basically...literally walked off the street and swore in and 2 days later reported to OCS with no knowledge of the Army and here it is time for me to ship off to phase 1. We're down from about 35-40 people to 26 shipping to phase 1.

Here is my advice to you:

1) Going to basic is your golden ticket and opportunity. You will graduate physically fit and within army standards and will have knowledge of the Army customs and courtesies and drill and ceremony. Do not under any circumstances lose either of these or the knowledge you learn in Basic. Keep PT'ing and keep remembering all that you learned ranging from land-nav to marching. It will be absolutely vital to you in OCS.

I swore in on 18 feb and 20 feb reported to OCS with 1 set of ACUs. Not having any knowledge of the Army from a soldiers perspective, I was immediately and firmly corrected on all the differences between the army and USAF. I found I could march, call cadence and D&C better than the prep people straight of basic, but lacked in every other department. Typical USAF, i had the academic and detailed stuff okay, but that's it.

Physically I had been working to get into shape but not nearly hard enough. Basic would have been like gold for me when it comes to that. OCS is not a game or a gentlemans course. This saturday I reported in for a total of 5 hours just for a shake down and TA-50 issue, and S4 issues. during 5 hours we were smoked twice..and hard... and did a lot of sprinting here and there, etc... and this wasnt even a serious all weekend drill.

It's hard, it's overwhelming, and it's a huge undertaking. Get fit in basic, stay fit, and stay mentally sharp.

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply. Very beneficial. I actually live in IL...and I did get the SLRP put in my contract for O9S...so I am going to have to contact someone to see if that disappears the day I commission. I would be very disappointed if this is true--as SLRP was one of the major factors in my decision to join the Guard. Are you doing traditional of accelerated OCS?

Comment

I'm in traditional. At the time of my arrival in OCS I wasnt in the shape neccessary for accelerated, and due to some waiver reciprocity questions and what-not, I did not IST to PA (where I live now) for OCS, but they were gonna send me to accelerated.

From what I'm told, see if you can go to federal OCS since you'll already be down there, but dont bet on it. In federal you get nights/weekends off sometimes.

In traditional, you report on friday around 1900, and it's non stop smokings/academics, etc until sunday around 1700ish.

Acclerated is 8 weeks of non-stop fun. I understood OCS was no joke, but it was more than what I thought it would be. There's a lot expected of you, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Comment

That is exactly what I really want to do...Federal OCS sound like the best option for me..but I don't know if IL sends people there. I am looking for a number that I can contact. My recruiter has no idea..but is trying to get me an answer. I have a cousin that is a 1LT. He is active and went Federal OCS for army. He said that he heard accelerated for guard does not teach you anything (at least that you will remember) and recommended federal or traditional as the way to go to get the most out of OCS. Hopefully I can get a slot for federal OCS...do you think I would stay at Benning since I would be there anyways? That would be a long time (BCT 9 weeks, 4 days..OCS 14 weeks?)

Comment

Try this number: (217) 761-3584

Comment

Show_stopper did a good job of answering your questions, so I'll jut add a couple of things that differed a little for me. I'm in Texas, btw.

1) I had my packet mostly ready to go before the first Phase 0 drill. I would get everything you need done as soon as possible when you get home from BCT, that way once Phase 0 starts, you won't be scrambling to get paperwork in order. We had a number of people not go to Phase 1 because of paperwork issues. They were at our frst Phase 2 drill this past weekend, but not with us, they were still working on paperwork, hoping to go to Phase 1 in Maryland. I didn't do a formal board for mine, just met with a Major at my unit briefly, and he went around and got all the signatures I needed for my "board". I have talked to other candidates in my class, though, who did the whole formal board procedure. Either way, I'd try to have it done before Phase 0.

2) I thought it was a letter from an O-3 or O-4. I know a Major did mine, and it was actually part of my enlistment packet. If you do need an O-5 letter, go through your CO and see if he/she can help get you in contact with the BN commander. My Chain of Command was very helpful in getting what I needed.

3) Can't answer SLRP at all, but I know that your 09S contract is torn up when you commission. I'd stick with show_stopper on this one.

I am also doing Traditional, so I can't really answer any questions on going to Federal OCS. It was never an option for me. I would liked to have gone, but oh well.

Show_stopper's advice is good advice. I'll add that I had 4 months between when I finished BCT and my first Phase 0 drill. I didn't PT nearly as much as I should have, and as a result, I wasn't in nearly the shape I should have been. I passed my PT test, but it was 50 points lower than my last one at BCT. You will need to be in shape. We had drill this past weekend. Reported at 1800 on Friday and were released at 1630 yesterday. Saturday was basically one long smoke session, interrupted by classes. We had one 30-minute smoking that I'm not sure how they fit that much stuff into. I'm still hurting today, and so are most of the other candidates I've talked to so far today. You'll get your butt kicked often, but just keep your motivation up, and remember why you're there, and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jmls1987
                      That is exactly what I really want to do...Federal OCS sound like the best option for me..
                      Again my curiosity is piqued as to your reason for wanting Federal. You
                      never responded in the last thread you opened.

Comment

Officer Candidate Nelson,
                        Where did you go to phase 1?

Your weekend sounded just like mine (first phase 2 weekend in AL).

scj

Comment

I did Phase 1 in Salina, Kansas.

Comment

Working...
                          X