X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMP Stuff

After I join ROTC and get into better shape, I want to do SMP. When you off to BCT, do you go off to AIT as well, even if you do ROTC? Or do are you treated like any other recruit and choose an MOS?

And also, is there any extra obligation to the National Guard besides the drilling? Can I still go into the Army, even if I did SMP? My plan is to go into regular Army, and maybe NG later.

Thanks.

Re: SMP Stuff

Originally posted by Midknight
    After I join ROTC and get into better shape, I want to do SMP. When you off to BCT, do you go off to AIT as well, even if you do ROTC? Or do are you treated like any other recruit and choose an MOS?

And also, is there any extra obligation to the National Guard besides the drilling? Can I still go into the Army, even if I did SMP? My plan is to go into regular Army, and maybe NG later.

Thanks.
    You go to BCT and AIT as a regular soldier... you don't officially become ROTC until after you contract. So you will leave and go to those 2 and then return and contract with ROTC.
    As to your other question, You can be SMP for the time in ROTC, and then go active. I have a buddy who did that actually and always makes fun of us for staying in NJ because he got stationed in Hawaii that bum lol

Comment

So the only way to do it is to enlist, then contract with ROTC? Not the other way around? I don't mind going to AIT, but since I'm already a Sophomore in college, it would put a big dent in my schedule if I end up going to BCT during the school year.

Comment

You can't contract smp without going to basic but you could instead go to the leadership training course which is only one summer to make up the two years you missed and contract as a regular non scholarship cadet.

They aren't offering split op right now so you will most likely go to AIT too. I am, Joining the NG so I could contract ROTC has pushed my graduation date from 2012 to 2014. Also a junior in college so had to do basic or leadership course.

Question, could I contract when I'm home on Christmas exodus during AIT? It would allow me to only miss one semester if possible.

Comment

So the only way to do it is to enlist, then contract with ROTC? Not the other way around? I don't mind going to AIT, but since I'm already a Sophomore in college, it would put a big dent in my schedule if I end up going to BCT during the school year.
          You can go to BCT in the summer. chose a branch that has a OSUT program(11B,19D) thats shrt enough to complete in one summer and not miss school. if you leave right after the spring semester you will get home just in time to start the fall semester or only be a week or 2 behind. Its not bad at all and you will get the benefit of learning alot over the summer to help you.

Comment

Wish I could do 11b, but seeing as I'm a girl.... I was thinking about 31b, since it is the closest to 11b a girl can get.

Comment

yeah, wish I could do one of those short combat arms mos's myself.......

Medic training should help me in nursing school however.

Comment

Wish I could do 11b, but seeing as I'm a girl.... I was thinking about 31b, since it is the closest to 11b a girl can get.

HAHAHA, sorry. I wasn't aware you were a female. Open mouth, insert foot. but there might be some short BCT & AIT's, you just have to do some research or talk to your recruiter about your options...

Comment

Thanks.
                  You may wish to review some of the posts in the FAQ section in order to gain some additional background and insight on your situation and options.

Comment

You can either 1)Finish BCT and AIT then apply for ROTC. You can also do ROTC as a non contract. 2)Attend The Summer Leadership Course. However in my dealings with an ROTC instructor, only the top 200 are getting scholarships, and sometimes as many as 1000 recruits attend. It depends. But the LTC, or BCT&AIT will knock off two years for ROTC training.

Thanks.
                    You need to check with a recruiter for ROTC at the school you wish to apply. Accepting a scholarship for NG specific can make you ineligible for Active or Reserve duty and keep you as a NG Officer. However, note that it is possible to be in the NG and commish in the Active or Reserves. When I finished my BA, this was the case for several NG soldiers commissioning Active.

Comment

Working...
                    X