Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End my search for this vision question.

I graduate in a year, Business Degree. Im looking over my options and OCS is one of them. I have what is called "Viterous Condensation" or Eye Floaters. Ive searched for vision reqs with no luck. Ive contacted a couple of rec. offices but they were not sure. I have found a qualifications article on about.com, but Im not relying on it-because I hope they are wrong. Does anyone know if eye floaters will disqualify a canidate? Or do you know of any active or reserve people that DO have eye floaters?

Although uncommon, they CAN cause retina detachment. Its comparable to: sprinkles of dust particles constantly dancing around in your line of sight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: End my search for this vision question.

Originally posted by Jay01
    I graduate in a year, Business Degree. Im looking over my options and OCS is one of them. I have what is called "Viterous Condensation" or Eye Floaters. Ive searched for vision reqs with no luck. Ive contacted a couple of rec. offices but they were not sure. I have found a qualifications article on about.com, but Im not relying on it-because I hope they are wrong. Does anyone know if eye floaters will disqualify a canidate? Or do you know of any active or reserve people that DO have eye floaters?
    That's probably going to depend on their ophthalmology consult to decide. Viterous Condensation is usually benign and non-degenerative. But technically, you could argue that VC could lead to retinal detachment and technically, any eye degeneration that could lead to retinal detachment is disqualifying.

Sorry for a non-definitive answer, but the regs are vague on this and VC has some wiggle room. It's worth pursuing.

Comment

sorry for the derail, but is there treatment for this condition? I have it to some extent, am 45 years old, my dad had detached retinas in both his eyes at the same time, when he was around 55 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay01

Although uncommon, they CAN cause retina detachment. Its comparable to: sprinkles of dust particles constantly dancing around in your line of sight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        Check DODI 6130.03 dated April 30, 2010. It is the medical fitness reg.
        Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 21st, 2011, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Yea. My dad has them and has had retina detachments, his vision is bad. Ill be in the same spot in the future, thanks genes.

Comment

"(3) Current or history of degenerative changes of any part of the retina (362) is disqualifying.
            (4) Current or history of detachment of the retina (361), history of surgery for same, or peripheral retinal injury,
            defect (361.3), or degeneration that may cause retinal detachment is disqualifying."

Cant work my way around that can I?

Comment

Yes...I have the same problem and did fine with the vision tests at MEPS. You will be fine. If you are serious about becoming a soldier, then go through MEPS..and everything should check out fine. I am on the same boat as you. I graduated with a business degree...and I am now about to ship out to basic, then OCS (most likely traditional) Finance Corps looks very interesting..but check your state's open slots.

Comment

Working...
              X