Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlistment and best way to go officer rout.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlistment and best way to go officer rout.

I was told this by an ROTC 2LT
    Yes, you can be enlisted and participate in ROTC as a non smp "cadet not contracted. It will be your decision whether or not to continue to participate in our program, depending on how busy your schedule gets with training with the NG, etc. Then when you have 3 yrs left of education you can apply to be a SMP cadet with GRFD scholarship----this however, will be under the discretion of your commander whether or not to allow to become an smp cadet."

Now i want to know what my best options would be of enlistment, If i enlist now and get RSP and BCT/AIT out of the way will i be able to do ROTC successfully? My passion is to become an Officer and since i didn't get the scholarship my ROTC plans have to change.

Any input or new enlistment ideas will help me a lot, i cant enlist until all of my bases are covered.

Re: Enlistment and best way to go officer rout.

Check out my three brilliant and informative posts related to your topic:
    http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5145
    http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13470
    http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ad.php?t=14411

What are your goals? What is most important to you? Where do you want to be after graduation and commissioning? Depending on your answers to these questions, I have very different sets of advice for you.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
      Check out my three brilliant and informative posts related to your topic:
      http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5145
      http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13470
      http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ad.php?t=14411

What are your goals? What is most important to you? Where do you want to be after graduation and commissioning? Depending on your answers to these questions, I have very different sets of advice for you.
      Goals: attend college for 4 years pursuing a criminal justice degree. this is also the most important to me for i will be the first member of my family to attend college.
      Become an officer in the NG.

After college/ commissioning i would like to see my self with a job in the field of work of my choice (law enforcement/S.W.A.T) areas of sort. also attain a degree and commission wise i would like to be a Officer of the NG. I really would like to be an Officer for it will help me further my leadership skills in life.

BTW sadly i was denied a ROTC scholarship due to lacking SAT score i got a 1260 ill be retaking it my senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by webbd30@aol.com
        Goals: attend college for 4 years pursuing a criminal justice degree. this is also the most important to me for i will be the first member of my family to attend college.
        Become an officer in the NG.

After college/ commissioning i would like to see my self with a job in the field of work of my choice (law enforcement/S.W.A.T) areas of sort. also attain a degree and commission wise i would like to be a Officer of the NG. I really would like to be an Officer for it will help me further my leadership skills in life.

BTW sadly i was denied a ROTC scholarship due to lacking SAT score i got a 1260 ill be retaking it my senior year.
        My recommendation is to enlist now, and complete Basic and AIT prior to starting college. Since you'll only need the last two years of ROTC at that point, wait to contract in ROTC until you start your junior year (MSIII year in ROTC language), or earn a Dedicated ARNG ROTC Scholarship, whichever comes first. Keep in touch with your State's OSM when you contract with ROTC, to line you up for your branch and unit assignment after commissioning (which may be completely different than your enlisted unit and MOS).

Comment

Keep in touch with your State's OSM when you contract with ROTC, to line you up for your branch and unit assignment after commissioning (which may be completely different than your enlisted unit and MOS).
          Thank you its what i needed to hear. Sorry what is an OSM?

on more thing I have heard "this however, will be under the discretion of your commander whether or not to allow to become an smp cadet."
          Do you know how difficult this will be for "most commanders" to approve? or do most look highly upon determination for higher goals.

Comment

The Officer Strength Manager is basically the State's officer recruiter. If you have very specific career goals, then work with your OSM two years prior to commissioning, to get the best available position for you.

Commanders will only deny SMP status to someone who has demonstrated poor performance, lack of trustworthiness, and bad behavior. If you do a good job, you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
              The Officer Strength Manager is basically the State's officer recruiter. If you have very specific career goals, then work with your OSM two years prior to commissioning, to get the best available position for you.

Commanders will only deny SMP status to someone who has demonstrated poor performance, lack of trustworthiness, and bad behavior. If you do a good job, you have nothing to worry about.
              Thank you very much i will look into finding a OSM near me. and i will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by webbd30@aol.com
                Thank you very much i will look into finding a OSM near me. and i will let you know.
                So let me catch up. Your going to be a high school senior this coming school year correct? You have a 1260 on SAT and a 2.9 GPA...or at least that is what you have posted.

Your going to jump thru hoops and contact your state OSM about getting into a ROTC, and commissioning and yet you don't meet the minimum prerequisites? Why waste his and your time?

You need to dig in young man; Start studying your "hind end" off, raise that GPA to a 3.5 or higher, and concentrate on reading, writing, and arithmetic! Then retake your SAT. The average score is 1500 you should strive to be in the range 2100-2250 perfect is 2400.

You have plenty of time for ROTC. You need finish high school with a bang, Academically speaking!

You are putting the cart before the horse. Nothing wrong with dreaming. It's just you have too crawl before you walk, and walk before you run.
                Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 21st, 2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

The ACT may be easier for a high score. I got an ROTC scholarship with a 22 ACT and 3.2 GPA. So standards aren't that high.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                    Then retake your SAT. The average score is 1500 you should strive to be in the range 2100-2250 perfect is 2400.
                    When did the SAT change??? I thought 1600 was perfect??

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                      When did the SAT change??? I thought 1600 was perfect??
                      i heard around 2001 when they changed the EDU breakdown

Comment

Webbd,
                        Keep your head down and study, continue to improve your grades. Remember, you can still enroll in ROTC without having received a scholarship. If you join the National Guard the educational benefits you receive will most likely make up for the scholarship money you would have received. The lack of an ROTC scholarship will not keep you from achieving your goals!

Comment

Originally posted by ctfrasier
                          Webbd,
                          Keep your head down and study, continue to improve your grades. Remember, you can still enroll in ROTC without having received a scholarship. If you join the National Guard the educational benefits you receive will most likely make up for the scholarship money you would have received. The lack of an ROTC scholarship will not keep you from achieving your goals!
                          I both know and agree with that i will maintain my 3.3 or higher and enlist in the guard and go ROTC for last two years since first two are not necessary if i go to BCT/AIT and thank you for the confidence boost.

July 4th My heart goes to all of our men and women who served our country. God Bless

Comment

Working...
                          X