X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Graduate with questions about becoming an Officer

Hello, I recently graduated college last May (2009). I decided to to pursue a path with the Army National Guard. I hope to join the Finance Corps after OCS because my major in college was Business Administration. I just had a couple of questions concerning the steps I would need to follow in this endeavor.

1.) I was told that I would be an officer candidate..go to basic training, come back...speak with an officer recruiter about my OCS options, which I am leaning towards the Federal 14-week course. Does anyone have any opinions about which OCS path to follow? Also, if I did the Finance Corps--what would be the length of training for that.

2.) I have completed a semester of law school thus far. I am taking a break, but plan on going back once I am done with basic and OCS training.Would the National Guard pay for part of loans while in law school for officers?

3.) Would it be hard for me to change my career/military job once I am done with law school? Could I make the transition to JAG?

4.) I heard that I would be non-deployable while officer training. I was just curious that once I was deployed after OCS and training...would it be specifically for my job or could the Army stick me anywhere they wanted???

5.) Concerning the training after OCS, is that training roughly 2-3 months straight or is it a one-weekend a month thing??

Re: College Graduate with questions about becoming an Officer

Originally posted by jmls1987
    Hello, I recently graduated college last May (2009). I decided to to pursue a path with the Army National Guard. I hope to join the Finance Corps after OCS because my major in college was Business Administration. I just had a couple of questions concerning the steps I would need to follow in this endeavor.

1.) I was told that I would be an officer candidate..go to basic training, come back...speak with an officer recruiter about my OCS options, which I am leaning towards the Federal 14-week course. Does anyone have any opinions about which OCS path to follow? Also, if I did the Finance Corps--what would be the length of training for that.

2.) I have completed a semester of law school thus far. I am taking a break, but plan on going back once I am done with basic and OCS training.Would the National Guard pay for part of loans while in law school for officers?

3.) Would it be hard for me to change my career/military job once I am done with law school? Could I make the transition to JAG?

4.) I heard that I would be non-deployable while officer training. I was just curious that once I was deployed after OCS and training...would it be specifically for my job or could the Army stick me anywhere they wanted???

5.) Concerning the training after OCS, is that training roughly 2-3 months straight or is it a one-weekend a month thing??
    I'll try and help answer some of your questions.

*Disclaimer: I'm only a newly enlisted Officer Candiate, I have not even completed BCT. My answers are based on what I was told when I enlisted.

1) From what I'm told Federal OCS is rare for someone in the Guard. You will probably have to choose between Traditional (State) or Accelerated OCS. Traditional may be better if you have a family or if you have a civilian job that is harder to be away from for several weks at a time. Otherwise, go accelerated and knock it out in about 8 weeks.

4) You should be non deployable until you have completed training. After that if you are deployed it will be with your unit. You may not neccessarily be doing your normal "job" when deployed. It depends on the needs of the Army.

5) Training after OCS, which is OBC, will vary in length depending on your branch. It will be a straight through training, not one-weekend a month.

Just something else to keep in mind. I know you want to branch in Finance, but that may not happen. Your branch will partially depend on what officer slots are open in your state at the time you are selecting a branch. If there are no Finance slots open, you won't be in Finance. Your branch may also depend on how you rank in your class at OCS, based on PT scores, academics, etc. I have heard that the OC that is higest rank gets first choice and then they move down the class rankings.

I'm in no way telling you not to do Finance, but if you work in the financial industry in the civilian world you may want to do something different. I have a degree in Finance, but am not really interested in branching Finance in the Guard. I do it 5 days a week already, and it can be boring. I want to do something else while I'm in the Guard.

Again, I'm just a newbie in the Guard so my answers may not be 100% correct. This is just how I understand things to work.

Comment

We have very few Finance Corps slots at all, and even fewer for lieutenants. You really need to broaden your horizons, at least for the first few years. We need more Finance people at higher grades, so you might could switch fields after a few years in a larger branch.

Comment

Well my goal is to be working with a JAG attorney...but law is not something you can go into I assume after OCS without a J.D. degree. I chose Finance Corps because it does go hand it hand with the law I will be studying (Business Law)- My biggest concern is whether to wait until after law school is over...then go straight to JAG....but I dont know about loan repayments for that area...does anyone?? Also, I really did want experience in the Guard while going through law school

Comment

Working...
        X