X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FA 53b - Systems Automation Engineering

Can anyone tell me about the FA 53b Systems Automation Engineering position? I have been looking into joining the National Guard as an officer and this position peaked my interest as I meet the prerequisites, having a M.S. in Computer Science.

I noticed the position is for an O-3 and up. Would this mean that I couldn't go into this position fresh out of OCS? I assume I would have to branch Signal and then apply for this position once I hit Captain.

This is all assuming that the National Guard even offers this type of position. I'm in Tulsa, Oklahoma if that is any help.

Thanks.

Re: FA 53b - Systems Automation Engineering

Originally posted by ciband
    Can anyone tell me about the FA 53b Systems Automation Engineering position? I have been looking into joining the National Guard as an officer and this position peaked my interest as I meet the prerequisites, having a M.S. in Computer Science.

I noticed the position is for an O-3 and up. Would this mean that I couldn't go into this position fresh out of OCS? I assume I would have to branch Signal and then apply for this position once I hit Captain.

This is all assuming that the National Guard even offers this type of position. I'm in Tulsa, Oklahoma if that is any help.

Thanks.
    I don't know much about the position, but I do know you have to meet ALL of the prerequisites to be considered. You may meet the degree, but if your not the right rank, they won't even look at your application. You might be able to apply as a 1LT(P), as my state allows, but that would still be a few years down the road

**Edited**
    Reread and felt as though I was coming off harsh. My apologizes, that was not my intention. There may be other positions for a new 2LT, but the reason they like to wait until your a CPT or so is so you can learn the basics as a PL before taking on other tasks. A new PL has alot to learn, so they don't want to swamp you early and cause you to experience overload!
    Last edited by EOrsini; June 16th, 2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini
      Reread and felt as though I was coming off harsh. My apologizes, that was not my intention.

it's the Jersey in us sir

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart
        it's the Jersey in us sir
        Haha, it really is. Not mean, just real.

All other states- learn the motto: We pump fists... not gas!

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini
          I don't know much about the position, but I do know you have to meet ALL of the prerequisites to be considered. You may meet the degree, but if your not the right rank, they won't even look at your application. You might be able to apply as a 1LT(P), as my state allows, but that would still be a few years down the road

**Edited**
          Reread and felt as though I was coming off harsh. My apologizes, that was not my intention. There may be other positions for a new 2LT, but the reason they like to wait until your a CPT or so is so you can learn the basics as a PL before taking on other tasks. A new PL has alot to learn, so they don't want to swamp you early and cause you to experience overload!
          No apologies necessary. I appreciate the input. I figured I would have to work up the ranks to Captain before I could be eligible for that position.

The 53b position was the only position I could find that explicitly mentioned computer science. Would anyone know of any computer science type 2LT/WO positions? Most of the things I found in Signals were either IT related and/or enlisted.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X