X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After ROTC

I am fairly sure I know the answer to this question but am going to ask out of extreme curiosity.

After ROTC, is your only option to commission as an O1 or can you commission as a WO1?

Also, while I have your attention....What happens if you quit school after contracting with ROTC? Do you get discharged and what are the implications. Just want to be well informed. Thanks.

Re: After ROTC

Originally posted by gabe589
    Also, while I have your attention....What happens if you quit school after contracting with ROTC? Do you get discharged and what are the implications. Just want to be well informed. Thanks.
    you quit school and have a scholarship they can make you enlist needs of the army or pay them their money back. Least that's what I was told.

Comment

If you are otherwise qualified for appointment as a WO (i.e., have a predetermination letter), then your due-course commission you earned through ROTC serves in lieu of WOCS.

This is critical: you must have the predetermination letter. Discuss this with your WOSM or CCWO in your State.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
        If you are otherwise qualified for appointment as a WO (i.e., have a predetermination letter), then your due-course commission you earned through ROTC serves in lieu of WOCS.

This is critical: you must have the predetermination letter. Discuss this with your WOSM or CCWO in your State.
        Or be selected for a WO flight slot through your SAO. This is a very complicated process that's rarely done, but it is possible.

Comment

Great information. Thank you both. Would I need that letter prior to contracting with ROTC or just sometime before graduation?

Comment

Originally posted by gabe589
            Great information. Thank you both. Would I need that letter prior to contracting with ROTC or just sometime before graduation?
            For technical warrants, it's only good for 24 months, so you can't get it too early.

As always, I caution you not to be too clever by half. If you want to get somewhere, then go there. Don't go to some other destination with the intention of going to your first destination later. You introduce a great number of risks. If you decide to go somewhere else first, just ensure that you like that place because you could get stuck there.

Comment

I would strongly echo LTC Ritchie on this.

If you have not contracted with ROTC yet, and your aim is to be a WO, then absolutely do not contract. ROTC is not a route to WO. Just because something is technically possible under regulations doesn't mean it's remotely going to happen. A lot of people would have to be pulling for that to happen, and it's no one's interest to do that.

For a non-pilot WO position, you need the predetermination letter he's talking about. That means you're an NCO with years of experience and meaningful leader time in a feeder MOS for the WO field you're trying to go into. If you have all that, then a 2-4yr program substituting for a 4-6wk course is not a good alternative. You can talk to your WOSM, but I'm fairly certain they would not play ball on this.

For pilots, it'd technically be possible without prior experience, but not at all advisable. A cadet graduating ROTC and taking 2LT gets a training slot (about 2yrs later) from HRC via NGB. We don't have to do anything at the state/unit level. For everyone else (OCS & WOCs), we get an extremely limited number of training seats per year. For my state, it's normally a couple LT slots, a couple E4 & below WOC slots, and about a half dozen NCO to WOC slots.

Because of this (and not having a street to seat option), we're always heavy on commissioned officers and always short on WOs. If we were to let a cadet accept WO1 on graduation, we would then have to give up a training quota to send them to school. We're just not going to do that. If they want to be a WO, and a lot of them do, then they go to flight school as a LT and revert when they get back. It costs some time in grade to do that, but they get where they want to be.

There's also an issue if a cadet (or OC) takes WO1, then a clock starts on them completing training. That isn't necessarily feasible with the slots we have to work with.

I don't know if you're thinking about the financial considerations of ROTC/SMP, and have some idea in your head about what being a WO is all about, but that's not going to be a realistic scenario.

If you're young, early in college, and looking to be a commissioned officer, then ROTC/SMP is an excellent route. If you're done or in your last year of college, and want to be an officer then OCS is the route to go. If you're an experienced NCO in a feeder MOS and want to be a WO, then apply for WOCS & go to the board. If you're looking to be a pilot, then build a WO flight packet and go to the board. This is the Army, you can't have your cake and eat it to - that would be the Air Force.

Comment

Originally posted by dnall
                I would strongly echo LTC Ritchie on this.
                This is the Army, you can't have your cake and eat it to - that would be the Air Force.
                HAHA That's the best thing I've heard all day! Hooah!

Comment

Working...
                X