X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCS Questions (lots of them!)

I have a few questions about the OCS option in Pennsylvania. I am 34 with no prior service with a BA and JD degree.

1) I understand you can join with a "direct" OCS option where you do never attend basic training. Is this correct? If so, what is your status from when you join until when your OCS training actually starts? Also, if you are direct OCS, what is your status during OCS?

2) What is the time line from joining until you begin attending OCS (most likely the traditional program)?

3) How is it decided what basic branch (inf, armor, etc.) that you serve in and which unit you join? How much say do you have in these issues and when are they decided?

4) Is BOLC III ever offered in the part-time fashion similar to the traditional OCS.

5) What is the age limit for OCS in Pennsylvania (I have searched the PANG's website and cannot find this information)?

6) How competitive is joining the NG using the OCS option? Assuming you meet the physical, medical and educational requirements, is the selection process competitive?

7) Is there anyway to direct commission into JAG and later transfer to a basic branch position?

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated.

Re: OCS Questions (lots of them!)

I didn't answer your questions point-by-point because I think you've got some fundamental misunderstandings. You're conflating two different provisions: OCS, and the direct appointment of special branch officers. OCS is for basic branch (warfighting) officers, whereas special branches are those professionals who have their necessary skills, but will never lead Soldiers in combat (i.e., chaplain, JAG, medical).

If you are an OCS commissionee, you can switch to JAG later with a little less hassle than you'd face going straight to JAG.

On the other hand, if you were JAG and wanted to become a basic branch officer, you'd need to start from scratch, and attend Basic Training and OCS, just like someone off the street.

You really need to decide where you want to go, otherwise I can't give you any advice on how to get there.

Comment

Sorry if my original post was unclear; my primary interest is in attending OCS as opposed to a direct commission into JAG. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by kbatik
        I have a few questions about the OCS option in Pennsylvania. I am 34 with no prior service with a BA and JD degree.

1) I understand you can join with a "direct" OCS option where you do never attend basic training. Is this correct? If so, what is your status from when you join until when your OCS training actually starts? Also, if you are direct OCS, what is your status during OCS?

2) What is the time line from joining until you begin attending OCS (most likely the traditional program)?

3) How is it decided what basic branch (inf, armor, etc.) that you serve in and which unit you join? How much say do you have in these issues and when are they decided?

4) Is BOLC III ever offered in the part-time fashion similar to the traditional OCS.

5) What is the age limit for OCS in Pennsylvania (I have searched the PANG's website and cannot find this information)?

6) How competitive is joining the NG using the OCS option? Assuming you meet the physical, medical and educational requirements, is the selection process competitive?

7) Is there anyway to direct commission into JAG and later transfer to a basic branch position?

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated.
        *disclaimer...not a recruiting guy, but since you're in PA, send me a PM, let me buy you a lunch or two or three and lets talk about me helping you into the guard

1) If you enlist 09S (officer candidate) you will go to Basic Training, if you have not completed it for any service yet. If you have, you shouldnt have to attend WTC, but states interpret that differently. ECM-FY07, page 13, paragraph 2-10, last line states that applicants enlisting for OC or Warrant OC school are not required to attend, but some states make them. Some will have you go to AIT as well, but that's a bit more rare. I've only met one person went to AIT as an 09S, for her backup MOS incase she dropped from OCS

2) RSP -> Basic -> RSP until OCS starts. Traditional OCS is like OCS-light. You'll be basically taught a lot of what you need to know to pass OCS, but on a very basic level to help get you up to speed. It's not fun or easy by any means. You'll be smoked a lot, double timing it everywhere except after meals, reporting statements to everyone and everything, the whole 9 yards. Having never attend Army basic, I cant comment, but I've heard OCS is harder than Basic. It's by no stretch of the imagination a gentelmens course.

3) Depends on state and your situation. I was in the process of doing an IST, during tradiational OCS and PA was going to send me to Accelerated OCS. The OSM just asked me what branch I wanted, and I asked what was available. Long story short he said "Take your pick, quartermaster, transportation, Infantry or Armor". I also told NJ OSM that I really wanted to try somethign new and wanted Infantry, he told me he would guarantee that in writing if I wanted him to.

Otherwise it will depend on your choices during OCS and your standing on the class METL (i think thats the acronym) which is made up of your overall scores in PT, leadership, academics, etc during OCS. If you are on the bottom and your first choice is one slot in the most desired branch for your state, dont count on getting it.

4) Havent heard of it being offered that way. I honestly doubt it.

5) I can find out for you. I'm still in touch with a PA OSM, PM me.

6) Kinda sorta depends on the state. In NJ if you enlist 09S, then there's not even a board because you are contractually obligated to attend. Other states will board you. But basically, if you are physically, mentally academically and morally qualified you can enlist 09S. You may or may not get boarded.

7) LTC Ritchie covered that I think
        Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 22nd, 2011, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X