X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocs

Personally, I'd rather do ROTC at my school, but I'm doing some research to make sure of my options. I don't want to compare ROTC vs OCS, I just want to get some facts, and maybe some experience as well. Like, what did you like, or is there anything you would have done differently? Factwise, just pros and cons of OCS. Thanks!

Re: Ocs

Originally posted by Midknight
    Personally, I'd rather do ROTC at my school, but I'm doing some research to make sure of my options. I don't want to compare ROTC vs OCS, I just want to get some facts, and maybe some experience as well. Like, what did you like, or is there anything you would have done differently? Factwise, just pros and cons of OCS. Thanks!
    Well depends on which OCS you are speaking about... Federal or State?

Comment

I didn't realize there was a difference. Federal, I suppose. That's regular Army, right? And State's the National Guard? Just to be clear.

And also as a note, I'm trying to find out information so I can relay it back to my mom. So stuff she'd understand as well would be great.

Thanks again.

Comment

I didn't realize there was a difference. Federal, I suppose. That's regular Army, right? And State's the National Guard? Just to be clear.

And also as a note, I'm trying to find out information so I can relay it back to my mom. So stuff she'd understand as well would be great.

Thanks again.

Some states send their soldiers to Federal OCS, 14 weeks I believe. Federal is for both Active and Reserves.

Comment

Federal is normally for Active, and State is normally for your state National Guard or Reserves. Federal is full time 14 weeks in a row... State is 1 weekend a month for 18 months

Comment

Pros of OCS over ROTC- It's technically shorter, even the 18 month program. It's only 1 weekend a month so it doesn't take up alot of time.

Cons- You don't learn as much in OCS as ROTC(depending on the ROTC program you're talking about). You can get sent to schools like Airborne and such at ROTC, not OCS

This is a simplistic way of looking at it, and not many pros and cons, but it all depends on what you really want to do. I'm just giving you short answers to something that has tons of pros and cons.

I did ROTC, and my best friend is in OCS. He told me that he doesn't really like OCS as much as he thought he would, and that he wishes he did ROTC. I had a hard ROTC program, usually logging in about 30 hrs a week. I still loved it and wouldn't have done OCS. Give me mroe insight and I can help answer your questions more accurately. Opinions are only for the beholder.. it's really up to you

Comment

What kind of training focus do they place on recruits in OCS? Obviously leadership, but what else? I know there would be a large differnce between four years worth of training and fourteen weeks. Seems like lots of information cramming with the latter.

Comment

You will also get a $250 ROTC stipend a month if you go that route. I will get about $1300 in stipends and pay a month doing ROTC vs the OCS I qualified for with 60 credit hours. Just made financial sense.

In the Guard or Reserve unit, you will begin to perform duties commensurate with those of a second lieutenant, and be paid at the rate of a sergeant. While in school, you'll receive a monthly ROTC stipend of $250. Sign a Guaranteed Reserve Forces ROTC Contract and extend your current Reserve Contract for six years and you can receive a GI Bill Kicker of $350 per academic month regardless of your military job.
                Last edited by RandyB; June 9th, 2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Just to add, $1000 a month in pay and stipends is average for smp cadets once contracted. I'll get a little extra because I get the nursing school stipend.

http://www.uoflarmyrotc.com/enrollment/#smp

Comment

What kind of training focus do they place on recruits in OCS? Obviously leadership, but what else? I know there would be a large differnce between four years worth of training and fourteen weeks. Seems like lots of information cramming with the latter.
                    OCS is a leadership school. It is supposed to teach the Army leadership concept and determine your potential for leading soldiers.

As for cramming four years of ROTC into OCS. Well, it is more like one year. The first two years of ROTC is replaced with basic training or even LTC if you get into ROTC late. The last year of ROTC is mostly performing the functions of a staff and evaluating the MS III cadets. With that said, twelve weeks at Benning or eight with the is certainly intense.

I'll add that I am at BOLC now, and my class is nearly evenly split between ROTC and OCS with several DCs thrown in the mix. You really can't tell who did what until specific circumstances arise.

Comment

Working...
                    X