X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Length of training

Well the 3-4 months could be a serious issue for me being that I am not a teacher, though I married one, and dont have my summers off. Being away from my civilian engineering job for 3-4 months would just be an enormous risk both financially and professionally. I guess this is something I will have to talk to my OSM about when I meet with him. While I would like to serve once again and miss the military in my life, I have to do what is best for my family.

Comment

Maybe you could figure out how much money you will be in the hole, then save it over the next year or two, if you have time.

Deployments will pay much more than OBC, according to experts on this forum, although I would like to warn you that you need to check; a registered Professional Civil Engineer may make much more than an O-3, even a deployed O-3.

Comment

Originally posted by 49thadband
        Maybe you could figure out how much money you will be in the hole, then save it over the next year or two, if you have time.

Deployments will pay much more than OBC, according to experts on this forum, although I would like to warn you that you need to check; a registered Professional Civil Engineer may make much more than an O-3, even a deployed O-3.
        And that is what I am concerned about. I just need to do all of my homework before I sign on the dotted line again.

Comment

From my understanding, which is only as an OC, there is about a 12 month or so wait list for most BOLC/OBC courses. So from the time you become a guard member you'll have at least a year to get ready.

Keep in mind that you'll also be getting BAH, and the other pay(s) that come along with it. I'm not up to speed on all that stuff anymore to tell you what it is.

Comment

I'd be suprised if they even let you attend BOLC, instead, they'll probably just have you attend the Captains Career Course and call it good.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
              From my understanding, which is only as an OC, there is about a 12 month or so wait list for most BOLC/OBC courses.
              Not sure where you're getting that. In my commissioning OCS class, a full third of us we're at BOLC within no more than 2 months of graduation. At least five of us were at BOLC within 3 weeks of graduation. By the time I hit my first 12 months as a LT, I'll have completed BOLC II, BOLC III, and several months in Iraq.

No more than 10% of us will ended waiting a year to start BOLC ... and for those people it is only because they chose to delay it. And in some cases, they had to make a pretty convincing case why it should be delayed. Your unit wants branch qualified officers as soon as they can get them.

Oh, and for the record - for the OP - I'd personally strongly advise against pushing your BOLC back. Those of us who jumped on the first chance to go to our branch school are all very happy we did.

About the only "good" thing about putting off BOLC - depending on how you define "good" in this case - is that you're technically non-deployable until you finish BOLC.
              Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 22nd, 2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Re: Navy IRR to PA National Guard

For advice on transitioning to the Army go to armyocs.com, one of the mods was a former Air Force CPT that switched over to the Army.

Before getting into the NG, I'd suggest you also look at the Army Reserve as well. It's a little easier to get into then the NG (no Fed Req board) and promotion opportunities are going to be better (in my area there's more open Major slots then qualified CPT's).

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
                  I'd be suprised if they even let you attend BOLC, instead, they'll probably just have you attend the Captains Career Course and call it good.
                  What makes you think I will not have to attend BOLC, and just my Captian's Career Course? I know what engineering is in the verticle sense for the Army, as I have been doing it for 5 years and will test for my PE in April. However my concern is the other aspects that Engineers in the army use and then the basic army officer skills (land nav, patroling, etc.). Yes I was somewhat combat trained within the Seabee's and actually was weapons trained, but to say I'm proficient in something like land nav would not be correct. Just curious as to your statement.

Comment

Originally posted by citdrum2
                    What makes you think I will not have to attend BOLC, and just my Captian's Career Course? I know what engineering is in the verticle sense for the Army, as I have been doing it for 5 years and will test for my PE in April. However my concern is the other aspects that Engineers in the army use and then the basic army officer skills (land nav, patroling, etc.). Yes I was somewhat combat trained within the Seabee's and actually was weapons trained, but to say I'm proficient in something like land nav would not be correct. Just curious as to your statement.
                    OBC isn't going to teach you land nav or patrolling. This is learned in the commissioning programs (OCS, ROTC etc).

As far as attending OBC, I say I doubt it for several reasons.

1. The money it would take to send you. Some states don't like giving up the funds to send LT's to OBC.
                    2. School seats, how long would it take to get you to school?
                    3. Since you’re an O-3, how much longer until you get your first look at O-4? You would need the CCC to be selected.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
                      OBC isn't going to teach you land nav or patrolling. This is learned in the commissioning programs (OCS, ROTC etc).

As far as attending OBC, I say I doubt it for several reasons.

1. The money it would take to send you. Some states don't like giving up the funds to send LT's to OBC.
                      2. School seats, how long would it take to get you to school?
                      3. Since you’re an O-3, how much longer until you get your first look at O-4? You would need the CCC to be selected.

You were absolutely right about the BOLC. I met with my OSM yesteday and he said that I would just have to start the CCC, and would not need any other type of preliminary training.

Comment

Working...
                      X