X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaplain Questions

My neighbor was asking me about the Chaplain program of the NG. He wanted to know requirements, if they have a student load repayment, etc....I'm not sure if the benefits are the same for officers.

He is 35, no prior service.

Would he go see a normal recruiter, or not? Do they need chaplains in TX? Dallas/Ft Worth area?

Thanks.

Re: Chaplain Questions

www.google.com

http://www.nationalguard.com/careers/chaplain-corps

Comment

He may start with a regular recruiter, but only for the purpose of getting in touch with the Officer Strength Manager (OSM). It's not a quick process, but it's certainly do-able. From the time he completes all requirements for application, he should be appointed within 120 days, depending on the schedule of the two boards -- chaplain accreditation, and federal recognition.

Chaplains get everything basic branch officers get (e.g., tuition assistance), as well as targeted incentives (bonus, loan repayment) not available to others.

The stereotypical problem with chaplain applicants is that they're terrible with paperwork, which drags out the whole process.

Comment

You either get 20K SLRP, or FTA, but not both, I think this is the case.

He may get 10K accession bonus when he is appointed as a Chaplain.

If he uses FTA he is obligated to the Guard for 4 years after the last time he uses it.

There is little by way of benifits for chaplains, other than the candidate program, and the chance to access as a CPT.

Comment

He would need a master's degree, M.Div, of 72 hours or it's equivalent, and to be endorsed by a endorseing agency.

He would need a Secret Security Clearance, and be in physical and moarl standards.

Comment

Working...
          X