Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commissioning to Active Duty

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Commissioning to Active Duty

    My recruiter told me upon completion of OCS (either state or traditional, I haven't decided which I'm going to do yet) I can accept a commission into Active Duty or National Guard.

    Does anybody know if this is true?

    Some background:

    Enlist in Iowa National Guard and attend OCS. I'd want to receive tuition assistance and the student loan repayment plan.

  • #2
    Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

    Originally posted by CNarby
    My recruiter told me upon completion of OCS (either state or traditional, I haven't decided which I'm going to do yet) I can accept a commission into Active Duty or National Guard.

    Does anybody know if this is true?

    Some background:

    Enlist in Iowa National Guard and attend OCS. I'd want to receive tuition assistance and the student loan repayment plan.
    I'm curious to the answer myself...Anyone?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

      Yes, it's true. If you want to go guard you can get a GRFD and be committed to the Guard before you commission. If not, you can choose to go active and compete for a slot in the branch(branches) of your choice.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

        Originally posted by EOrsini
        Yes, it's true. If you want to go guard you can get a GRFD and be committed to the Guard before you commission. If not, you can choose to go active and compete for a slot in the branch(branches) of your choice.
        I don't think so. That is how it works for ROTC. With OCS he will already belong tothe ARNG, and they won't release anybody immediately after commissioning.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

          In ROTC you can go active but have to decide about the time you contract so you can get a control number for the Guard. I thought I had another two years to make this decision but turns out it will be right after basic this fall so october. Kind of frustrating. They say active duty will snag me as a nurse without a control number but I am still undecided and basic isn't the place to base your experience off of.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

            My buddy is in State OCS now and they were talking to them about going to active duty instead of going back guard... But they had to request it and a process began.

            -He was talking to me about it so I'm not sure.. maybe it was something for their class or a special circumstance!-

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

              Not from OCS. Talk to your OSM & have your recruiter do so as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

                Thanks for all the input. If anyone has anything else, feel free to share.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

                  Originally posted by CNarby
                  I'd want to receive tuition assistance and the student loan repayment plan.
                  Student loan repayment plan is for enlisted. If you take it, you'll either have to decline your commission for a set period of time or just use it while attending OCS.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

                    Are you sure? I hear an awful lot about it on the Army OCS board about if you take it you have to serve 4 years before getting gi bill. My recruiter said I could get it but I suppose I will be enlisted as a pfc/cadet until I earn my butter bar.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

                      Originally posted by Marine2Guard
                      Student loan repayment plan is for enlisted. If you take it, you'll either have to decline your commission for a set period of time or just use it while attending OCS.
                      That might be something you want to check on the accuracy of. I know that just recently (in the last few weeks) regulations was changed saying that a Guard member only has to complete ONE drill weekend before they can contract into the ROTC and keep their enlistment bonus. It might have changed as well regarding loan repayment.

                      Either way it should be pretty easy to pay back any loans you have once you commission

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

                        Originally posted by blkobswg
                        That might be something you want to check on the accuracy of. I know that just recently (in the last few weeks) regulations was changed saying that a Guard member only has to complete ONE drill weekend before they can contract into the ROTC and keep their enlistment bonus. It might have changed as well regarding loan repayment.

                        Either way it should be pretty easy to pay back any loans you have once you commission
                        A ROTC contract is not the same as a commission, nor is an enlistment bonus the same as SLRP. When I commissioned the state education officer spoke about the fact that if you were currently receiving SLRP you had two choices, 1) accept your commission at which time you would no longer receive SLRP, but would not have to repay previous payments. 2) accept your commission at a later time and continue to receive SLRP.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

                          In Texas OCS, we belong to the ARNG and there is no way to go Active after OCS. Especailly since the Guard is bleeding officers like a stuck piggy....

                          Might be some special situation that varies state to state, however, I would check with your OSM to see what your officer stregnth is at. I know TX is at like 58% or so (last time I inquired) and for us to go Active, well, it's just not going to happen unless you have photos of your OSM in a comprimising position....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

                            Originally posted by EOrsini
                            My buddy is in State OCS now and they were talking to them about going to active duty instead of going back guard... But they had to request it and a process began.

                            -He was talking to me about it so I'm not sure.. maybe it was something for their class or a special circumstance!-
                            Hey is there any more info on this? How is he going AD what was the deal?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Commissioning to Active Duty

                              Originally posted by Guard dog 777
                              Hey is there any more info on this? How is he going AD what was the deal?
                              I'll ask him and get back to you on this... i'll PM you the info when I find out

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X