X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State WOCS

Which states have their own WOCS? I've seen that Minnesota does and read a PDF on the California CCWO site that states:

Beginning in January 2006, 13 test States (including California) received authorization to
    conduct Phases 1 (Distance Learning) and 2A (5-MUTA 5 IDT periods). California’s
    program is being held at the RTI located at Camp San Luis Obispo, California. Phase 2B
    (2 week AT period) is scheduled to commence at Camp Atterbury, Indiana in September
    2006. All 13 test States will send their Warrant Officer Candidates (WOCs) to that site
    for FY 06.
    In October 2006 (FY 07) all States will be authorized to conduct Phases 1and 2A while
    Phase 2 B will be conducted on a Regional basis. For FY 07, the DL Phase 1will be
    begin in October (registration in July 2006) and end in December while the 5-MUTA 5
    IDT periods will be conducted January through May 2007. It is anticipated that the 2B
    Phase will be conducted regionally in June 2007.
    http://www.calguard.ca.gov/ccwo/Docu...TIWOCSinfo.pdf

So can anyone verify that CA ARNG is running a full WOCS program at SLO?

Re: State WOCS

Just talked to a Warrant in my Brigade, he says its a fairly new program and we have run about 4 classes. It runs February to August.

Comment

Interesting. I wonder if they'll keep the program around long enough for me to get my application package through. I'm hoping to start around May 2011, so that would work. Thanks, sir.

Comment

It's a permanent fixture. It's cheaper than sending people to Rucker, and no need to fight big army for slots. Same as the traditional OCS program.

I assume your wait till 2011 is to gain required experience & leader time. The packet doesn't take long if you're motivated. If you're not on the ball, it can take a year or so.

Comment

Couple reasons. I want to be in the best shape I possibly can be and I need to settle some things with my civ job before I drop the Guard bombshell on them. I honestly don't expect them to take it well that I'm going to be gone about 6 months over the next two years or less between WOCS and WOBC.
          My wife is not too pleased, either.

Comment

I think there are some Warrant recruiting events coming up. Keep an eye out.

Comment

Are those open to civlians? I'm prior but not currently in.

Comment

Speaking of Warrant Recruiting Events...

CALIFORNIA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD
                RECRUITING AND RETENTION COMMAND
                WARRANT OFFICER WORKSHOP

WHO: E5-E8’s who meet minimum qualifications for feeder MOS
                WHEN: 1– 2 MAY 2010
                WHERE: 4411 Yorktown Ave, Bldg 6, CA Los Alamitos 90720
                WHY: California has critical shortages in our Warrant Officer Ranks
                MISSION: To complete WOC predetermination packets for prequalified, leader oriented, physically fit Soldiers, who have been recommended by their Unit Commander’s and can pass a Chapter II physical IAW AR 40-501

Benefits of the Workshop

Undivided attention from Warrant Officer Recruiter
                Dedicated time to complete your Warrant Officer packet
                Gain knowledge on packet process
                Review timeline for WOC Appointment, WOCS and promotions

Interview with Unit Commander and obtain written recommendation and DA 705 certification.

Registration can be done through the CA Portal by your Readiness NCO.

POC: Soldiers and Unit Commanders are encourage to obtain qualification and selection answers through: CW3 Jenniffer Rice, (916) 710-2195, jenniffer.rice@us.army.mil
                Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I assume you meet the qualifications based on your prior service. The state WOCS program is drill/AT just like being in a unit. It's a bit more intensive, but the same amount of time away from home. The WOBC after that... I'm not the foremost expert here, but... the one's I've seen are all in the reserve component format. Which correspondence in conjunction with drill & then a two weeks session... again, same as drill/AT.

I don't see where the big deal is. Clearly you need to get your wife & job on board with this, but at least initially you're not talking about anything other than a wknd a month & couple weeks a year. Not till you deploy anyway. I don't know much about the WOAC & if that's offered in the RC format also or what.

I guess what I'm saying is you do need to square away your personal business & get that support, but if you're qualified I don't see why you aren't driving at this sooner rather than later. I promise you when you're hitting retirement you'd rather have those couple extra years of time in grade, and possibly that next promotion before you're out of time.

Comment

My understanding is whether WOCS is at Rucker or held at a RTI, it's 6 weeks (4 if you have WLC). Then for my MOS, there is a 26 week WOBC. If I'm wrong here, I'm glad. That'd be great because it would solve all my problems I think. But everything I've read seems to point to these as facts.

Comment

Going to follow this thread. This is the first I've heard of the state WOCS. I heard of the symposiums, but didn't realize the training is in state. The 2nd parts of WOCS (branch) is still at the AIT training school I assume....

Will probably put in a packet in 2013. I believe you must have 2 yrs in the unit

Comment

Originally posted by KMANinTX
                        Going to follow this thread. This is the first I've heard of the state WOCS. I heard of the symposiums, but didn't realize the training is in state. The 2nd parts of WOCS (branch) is still at the AIT training school I assume....

Will probably put in a packet in 2013. I believe you must have 2 yrs in the unit
                        Have you contacted your proponent?

The only real advantage of the state WOC vs Ft Rucker is if you've got a profile. State WOC will probably be easier on you physically. Or at least this is what the commendant of the WOC school at Ft Rucker says.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
                          Have you contacted your proponent?

The only real advantage of the state WOC vs Ft Rucker is if you've got a profile. State WOC will probably be easier on you physically. Or at least this is what the commendant of the WOC school at Ft Rucker says.
                          No, I'm years out so I didn't get into detail. I talked to the stregnth manager in Austin to get the general scoop on what I need to do in the next couple years to prepare. As I get closer, I'll worry about the other stuff. TOO much other stuff to worry about now.

I "plan" on being Ranger qualified by then. If I haven't gone by then, I sure will be ready physically.

From what I've heard about WOCS, the deal is in the "details."

Comment

Federal WOCS at Rucker is 6wks (4wks plus correspondence for E-5 w/ WLC).

The state program is only open for the folks that could do the 4wk version. The correspondence is done as a group together during drills, the middle two weeks of the 6wk version is done through drill (5mos of 2-day drills = 10 days... same as 2wks active duty = 10-12.5 training days). Then the final 2wks of the 6wk program is conducted during a 2wk AT.

In other words, (just like the traditional OCS program) it is the same number of training hours taught to the same standard by instructors certified by the same folks. The difference is it's done over a 6mo period with drill/AT versus a month of active duty away from home/work.

The follow on branch training is nothing like AIT. It probably is conducted at the same place as commissioned OBC. That WOBC will have an active duty version that may be 26wks or whatever. It most likely also has a reserve component course... which again is taught in a drill/AT/correspondence format.

I sent one of our highspeed NCOs through this process to FA WOBC. His is correspondence in between two 2wk AT sessions along with some on the job training type stuff - best I remember anyway.

Comment

That would really be great if that is the case for Signal, too. I spoke to an AD guy on a forum that is currently going through and he said there are RC soldiers going through the same course but some go home between phases. How it plays out for each individual may just be an indication of how their units work ATRRS. Dunno. I'm going to just have to keep poking at this issue until I find out definitively.

As for the state WOCS being easier physically, I've read the WOC SOP from '07 which mentions RTIs and how the training differs from Rucker. Nothing from the SOP indicates that the PT or physical requirements are any different. That's theory. In practice it may be another story. The SOP does give the individual RTIs wiggle room in how they achieve the same end result of a WO1.

For me, I'm not sure which is better since SLO is still about a 5 hour drive, which I'd be required to do 7 times over 6 months. It's almost more torturous that way. Add the distractions of life to that and I'm sure it makes for a tougher course, mentally.

Comment

Working...
                              X