Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prior Enlisted Service Completed - Now What Is My Commissioned Obligation?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Enlisted Service Completed - Now What Is My Commissioned Obligation?

I served 5 years active duty and 3 years IRR enlisted Marine Corps. I've been back in the Guard for two years, currently deployed to Iraq. I commissioned in August 2009.

What is my obligation? If I chose to do so, when could I get out? And how does that process work exactly - do you resign your commission? Just change to a non-drilling status?

I read this thread but can't find the answer I'm looking for:

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13470

Several fellow officers have been debating the question but nobody has paperwork to document the answer. When enlisted, I always knew exactly what my obligation was; now I really have no idea.

So in simple terms, for someone who has already completed their full 8-year service obligation, and then commissions - with NO bonus or ROTC scholarship - what is the basic obligation?

Re: Prior Enlisted Service Completed - Now What Is My Commissioned Obligation?

Initially after you accept your commission you must serve 6 years, enlisted time does not count towards this time. After that I believe you just change over to a non-drilling status with the possibility to be recalled. If you resign your commission you can't be recalled but I was told that you forfeit your benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel
      I read this thread but can't find the answer I'm looking for:

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13470

So in simple terms, for someone who has already completed their full 8-year service obligation, and then commissions - with NO bonus or ROTC scholarship - what is the basic obligation?
      In the post you referenced, Common Case #3 applies to you. You completed your statutory MSO of eight years with your prior service time. Since you have no ROTC scholarship, upon commissioning you have a contractual obligation of six years of service. Ref: AR 135-100 Table 2-1.

Does this resolve your question?

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
        Since you have no ROTC scholarship, upon commissioning you have a contractual obligation of six years of service. Ref: AR 135-100 Table 2-1.
        I was told the contractual obligation upon commission for OCS is 2 years or the rest of the initial enlistment (whichever is longer) unless the officer accession bonus is accepted. Only then is the obligation 6 more years. Was I misled? I can't find table 2-1 in the AR referenced.

Comment

Originally posted by speed_of_dark
          I was told the contractual obligation upon commission for OCS is 2 years or the rest of the initial enlistment (whichever is longer) unless the officer accession bonus is accepted. Only then is the obligation 6 more years. Was I misled? I can't find table 2-1 in the AR referenced.
          If you can't find the table in the reg that I linked, then I'm not sure I know what more I can do for you at this point. I don't mean to be pedantic, but the "2" in Table 2-1 means that it's in Chapter Two of the regulation. The "1" means that it's the first table in that reg. Does that help?

If you have received conflicting guidance from your chain of command on this topic, then I recommend that you ask for a regulatory reference for that answer, and post it here for the rest of us. If someone else has a more updated reference that addresses this issue, then I'm eager to see it.

What you may find are provisions by which the TAG can waive drilling service to IRR time, but that's a command decision, and one can't make life plans based on someone else's future decision.
          Last edited by matthew.ritchie; April 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I don't see any tables in chapter 2 of AR 135-100. Only paragraphs and figures. I'm going to try to get clarification tomorrow from the person who said it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by speed_of_dark
              I don't see any tables in chapter 2 of AR 135-100. Only paragraphs and figures. I'm going to try to get clarification tomorrow from the person who said it to me.
              OK, now I'm worried. Can anyone else see this table? Am I like Russel Crowe in that movie about the mathematician?

Comment

OK, now I'm worried. Can anyone else see this table? Am I like Russel Crowe in that movie about the mathematician?
                LOL.....It's been awhile I needed that.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                  LOL.....It's been awhile I needed that.
                  BUT CAN YOU SEE THE TABLE?

Comment

Looks fine to me...my imaginary roommate says so.

Comment

BUT CAN YOU SEE THE TABLE?
                      Sir,
                      In AR 135-91 in the in the forum link included I DO see the table designating that the MSO is a 6 year contractual obligation. But AR 135-100 , Chapter 2 is "Processing" and Paragraph 1 is "Applications and allied papers". I tried my best to find anything relating to service obligations incurred by Officers, but didn't see anything.

Might just be dumb private illness going around.

I do see the tables in BOTH documents, though

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
                        Sir,
                        In AR 135-91 in the in the forum link included I DO see the table designating that the MSO is a 6 year contractual obligation. But AR 135-100 , Chapter 2 is "Processing" and Paragraph 1 is "Applications and allied papers". I tried my best to find anything relating to service obligations incurred by Officers, but didn't see anything.

Might just be dumb private illness going around.

I do see the tables in BOTH documents, though
                        OK, so I linked correctly in the FAQ post, but in the text I mentioned the wrong reg. At least I'm not completely nuts.

That's why I tell people don't rely on memory, go to the source document every time.

Comment

The NGR has a table in it too with the same info.

Short version is the bonus doesn't change anything. There is not a contract & your prior enlisted contract is completely void. You have a six year drilling obligation under the law because you accepted a commission. It can be an 8yr obligation under certain scholarships. You can do other things to add to that obligation, but really nothing to take away from it.

Comment

Working...
                          X