Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First official phase zero drill

Hey all,

I'm back from the first official phase zero drill at OCS. What a weekend. We showed up on friday at 1900 for formation in PT's. I was in ACU's because I havent been issued PT's yet and I will have to buy some on my own for next drill because I am NOT borrowing more PT's off anybody.

We did the class 54 work out which is:

54 burpees
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dq_NCzj8M
    54 pushups
    54 situps
    54 squat lifts

We had 15 minutes to accomplish it, with the goal to beat our Senior TAC Officers time of 6 minutes (yea right!)

We then went for a 2 mile formation run, and then off to the class room.

Lights out at 00:00

Wake up 0500 for PT.

PT consisted of a 10 minute intense cross fit program
    We were paired up by size and I somehow got teamed up on a team that needed a 45lb weight, when I'm clearly not a muscle man, but I was teamed up with them. The next highest was 55lbs and one guy on that actually played in the NFL once.

We basically squatted, and threw the weight up and over our heads then let it back down. We did 14 reps of that, then 10 pushups to make a set, and did as many sets as we could in 10 minutes.

I was in a team of 3. First guy did 5 sets, and 7 reps into his next set, next guy did 9 sets even, and I did 6 sets with 8 reps into the next set.

By then a few of us were puking, I was about to collapse.

We also did some running around, taking the long way to places. A few hours after that work out my lower back started tightening up, as did everyone elses and by nightfall most of us couldnt even bend over.

We were in class most of the day, at night we did land nav, finding hidden easter eggs all over Sea Girt with coordinates to our next egg. My team came in about mid-way but we found everything quickly, we just didnt plot points in the right order so we ended up zig zagging around.

Lights out at 23:30 and 0500 wake up for a PT test. we were RAN to the pt test area, the test was a diagnostic. I've had a SEVERE problem with shin splints the last 4 weeks and this jsut made it worse. More than half of our class failed it, including me, because we just couldnt perform. We were later told it was more of a baseline to see if we could pass under this kind of stress and that kind of stuff wouldnt be happening again. Next PT test we would be rested, etc.

Normally I dont have a problem. I'm not a super star but I pass at least. I failed this miserably. We had one girl fall out and had to see a medic, and we lost about 3 candidates along the way for various reasons.

Then it was more classes until we were released.

Now as for me, as of right now. I struggle to walk up or down stairs, bend over, take off clothes, shoes, socks, or just generally to move. My back is as stiff as a board. It's not an injury stiffness, its a WE JUST WORKED OUT THAT MUSCLE BIG TIME stiffness.

My ham strings are just as hard to move and painful, from the squatting with weight, my shins are feeling a little better but i need to take time off running otherwise they're going to turn to stress fractures if they havent already.

For today, I am BROKE. I almost needed help getting off the couch. My house smells like icy hot.

Let me just say that if you're considering OCS, it is physically demanding. Even beyond what people tell you. Doesnt mean its bad. I mean honestly, like any school that is designed to be hard, its rough, i admit, but I'm not giving up.
    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 25th, 2011, 12:15 AM.

Re: First official phase zero drill

ALSO: please know your stuff a bit before you show up.

When I was in the USAF I was always given tasks like fire guard because I seemed to be the only person that could get set of instructions and follow them like a robot.

This seems to be the case here too. I was told to read a portion of the handbook outloud to the class on greeting officers and NCO's. Not a hard task. But I cant count the number of times we were dropped because some fool stood at parade rest when address a TAC Officer, or at attention to a TAC NCO.

I finally just picked up the ball and made sure to call the Platoon to attention or parade rest before anyone else could speak up so we didnt do it.

There's no reason to get nervous or put too much thought into it. Basic customs and courtesies go along way

Comment

Sounds about right, can't remember are you doing accelerated or traditional? Either way keep up the good work, your body will catch up.

Comment

Traditional. They are being really tight about sending people to federal or accelerated right now. They require a second board AND told us we'd better have a good reason.

All in all, traditional is better for me for a few reasons, although its just prolonging it. You never realize how much of an undertaking it us until you're there. I have so much more respect for Officers now.

I knew it would be hard, I had no dreams about it being easy, but this is an entirely different situation than any basic training. There's no much yelling, just a lot of high expectations from the TACs and being given general instructions like "hold a PT test" and organizing it ourselves. Makes perfect sense, but its hard to grasp for some.
        Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 25th, 2011, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999

but I'm not giving up.
          and thats the most important thing

Comment

That's literal too. We have one candidate who played defense for a short time for the Packers. I forgot his name. When I get it, I might post it.

Comment

God...sounds like my day yesterday. PT from 0800-1200. 6 miles, smoked every 1.5 or so....... .......I hurt today
              Glad to see you too are fairing well.....hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by KMANinTX
                God...sounds like my day yesterday. PT from 0800-1200. 6 miles, smoked every 1.5 or so....... .......I hurt today
                Glad to see you too are fairing well.....hehehe
                Was that ruck march?

Comment

Originally posted by JonTheBaptist
                  Was that ruck march?
                  No, that was the new 1st Sgt saying "Hello, you are mine now"

Comment

Ummm... i think i need a doctor. I just went pee and it looked like i dumped a gallon of coca cola in the toilet. Not sure if that's blood or what. I've taken lots of tylenol and stuff today (8 tablets spread out through out the day)

If it isnt clearned up by the morning I'll see a doc

Comment

If you think something is wrong, it probably is. Don't chance it.

Comment

I called the nurses advice line and she told me to double time it to the ER. So I did. I have rhabdomyalosis. Basically I over exerted myself, causing muscles to break down too fast, which flooded my body with pottasium and what not, the tea colored urine is a result of my kidneys being all jacked up.

Ekg was normal and I'll be fine after a few IVs. I was told its realtively common. Its just important I. Get IVs in me so my kidneys don't fail, which they probably wouldn't have anyways.

I'll be good as new in a day or two

Comment

I'll just have to keep my PT hard so I'm prepped better for next drill once this stops

Comment

Definately take care of yourself. One of things the TACs use to tell us, "If you don't take care of yourself then who is going to take care of your troops?"

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard
                              Definately take care of yourself. One of things the TACs use to tell us, "If you don't take care of yourself then who is going to take care of your troops?"
                              Thats when you sound off and say NCO's Hooah!

Comment

Working...
                              X