X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC ARNG -AVIATION specific

I am an E-4 in the Hawaii ARNG. My unit is deploying in August and I'm considering going ROTC instead of deploying with them. I want to alert my unit ASAP so they can plan without me. If you guys can answer a few questions I'd really appreciate it.

1- I want to remain in aviation. I had spoken to an ROTC recruiter here in Hawaii and he said there are no guarantees that I will be placed in an aviation unit upon getting my commission. Can anyone help me understand how you get placed in a unit? In a perfect world...I would like to return to my current unit.

2- Do I get the choice of which unit I drill with each month? If so, once my unit returns from their deployment, can I change (sponsor?) units? Do cadets usually get slots in the units that sponsor them while they're in ROTC?

4- Say I do get an aviation unit (whether its my current unit or another) - all officers in an aviation unit are sent to flight school, right? This is my goal.

5- While in school, can I change degree plans? The recruiter I spoke to wanted me to fill out an entire degree plan for the next 3 years. Can I deviate from that plan at all??

6- When I complete my education and receive my commission will I be committed for 6 or 8 years? I've heard officers do not have an ETS date, instead their contract says "0000" so how can they be "committed for 8 years?" I'm confused as to the contract details and how long and when someone could get out if they wanted to.

Basically...the reason I am joining ROTC is because I want to be a pilot. I have already gone in front of the warrant officer board as an E-3, but did not get selected. I have an AFAST score of 120, and I assume that once I have a 4-year degree, along with a civilian pilot license I should be a better candidate. Knowing my ambition, is there any other advice you guys can give me on how to make this a reality?

Re: ROTC ARNG -AVIATION specific

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that as a sophomore, with no military experience other than basic and AIT, you're basically in the same boat as everybody else who wants to be aviation. IOW, nothing to make you really stand out.

How about this. What if you were to deploy with your unit, wouldn't that look great on your resume? Join ROTC after you get back. Especially when you get to a board, you can say even though you knew you wanted to be an Aviation Officer, you were loyal and committed to your unit, wanted to get the mission done? I'm saying this assuming your AFAST score is good for a while.

Deployment is one year + correct?

Now think about the other things; ++ $- save a ton of dough during the year.
    experience in a hostile environment.

-- you might come back disabled or die, same chance you take as a pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiBound
      I am an E-4 in the Hawaii ARNG. My unit is deploying in August and I'm considering going ROTC instead of deploying with them. I want to alert my unit ASAP so they can plan without me. If you guys can answer a few questions I'd really appreciate it.

5- While in school, can I change degree plans? The recruiter I spoke to wanted me to fill out an entire degree plan for the next 3 years. Can I deviate from that plan at all??

6- When I complete my education and receive my commission will I be committed for 6 or 8 years? I've heard officers do not have an ETS date, instead their contract says "0000" so how can they be "committed for 8 years?" I'm confused as to the contract details and how long and when someone could get out if they wanted to.
      5- Your 104-R or academic plan is used to keep your degree progress and ROTC classes aligned so you graduate and commission at the same time. Once you contract you will have to get permission from your PMS for significant deviation from the plan.

6- Commissioning enatails an eight year commitment. The specifics can vary. You might serve part of it AC and some RC, or you can do it all one or the other. Once your military obligation is done you are free to leave the army. How are you confused by this?

Comment

thanks for your responses.

cyall - I've just heard that the army makes life miserable for officers who try to get out. One story that it took a guy almost 20 years to finally get released. Many have told me that you're pretty much locked in for a career? the only reason id want out of the guard after 8 years would be because i didnt get branched aviation and was unhappy with where i ended up.

Comment

Your unit is leaving in Aug & you're wanting to pull out on them now. That's not going to engender a positive feeling with them down the road. I know you're in college & don't want to interrupt your progress, but honestly, it'll be better for your rep and qualifications at branching time to make this deployment, and better for your career to have a combat patch.

There are virtually no available commissioned slots in aviation. There are normally 10 SMP cadets stacked up, plus a few enlisted soldiers from the unit going OCS, all of whom want one of about 7 LT slots in a BN. We currently have almost 20 LTs stacked up against those 7 slots. Some of whom will be forced to revert to WO after they get back from flight school. Some will be forced to other units. All will face a logjam at CPT. We take 1-2 new LTs from ROTC a year, and it's a competition between the cadets we have to get one of those slots. We do not take SMP cadets from other units - they aren't there in the competition with our folks to win a slot.

To get branched & assigned to a particular unit, you need to get an LOA from that chain of command accepting you to a projected vacant slot (if there's 20 folks in 7 slots, none of them are projected vacant for a long time). Whatever the unit standard is before they'll give you that LOA is what you need to do. Again, this is where I would talk over my ROTC situation with my chain of command & then make this deployment versus not. You will have sacrificed for the unit at that point where others have not.

You should be able to pick within reason where you drill as SMP. You should be able to stay at your current unit.

All aviation officers are pilots. There's a couple non-AV staff officers in HHC, and the forward support company is non-AV officers. Other than that, everyone else is a pilot. Your starting point though is a line company PL.

Officers don't have contracts. We have obligations under the law that you agree to by accepting your commission. For everyone that's 6-8 yrs. Once you go to flight school, that goes away & you start a 5yr clock from when you start flying. You will get your flight school quota from HRC if you're coming from ROTC, and it'll be 18-24mos after you commission before you report to Rucker. Part way into Rucker before you get your aviation service orders (flight pay starts), which is when the 5yr clock starts.

It's not hard to get out of the Army as an officer. You can resign anytime you like. If you have remaining service obligation, you'll do that as enlisted, if not, you'll be out of the Army. If you want to retain your commission, say for retirement purposes, then you can't resign. Instead, you are transferred to the IRR or you retire to the retired reserve. None of that is hard to do as long as you've served out your obligation.
          Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 26th, 2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dnall
            Your unit is leaving in Aug & you're wanting to pull out on them now. That's not going to engender a positive feeling with them down the road. I know you're in college & don't want to interrupt your progress, but honestly, it'll be better for your rep and qualifications at branching time to make this deployment, and better for your career to have a combat patch.

There are virtually no available commissioned slots in aviation. There are normally 10 SMP cadets stacked up, plus a few enlisted soldiers from the unit going OCS, all of whom want one of about 7 LT slots in a BN. We currently have almost 20 LTs stacked up against those 7 slots. Some of whom will be forced to revert to WO after they get back from flight school. Some will be forced to other units. All will face a logjam at CPT. We take 1-2 new LTs from ROTC a year, and it's a competition between the cadets we have to get one of those slots. We do not take SMP cadets from other units - they aren't there in the competition with our folks to win a slot.

To get branched & assigned to a particular unit, you need to get an LOA from that chain of command accepting you to a projected vacant slot (if there's 20 folks in 7 slots, none of them are projected vacant for a long time). Whatever the unit standard is before they'll give you that LOA is what you need to do. Again, this is where I would talk over my ROTC situation with my chain of command & then make this deployment versus not. You will have sacrificed for the unit at that point where others have not.

You should be able to pick within reason where you drill as SMP. You should be able to stay at your current unit.

All aviation officers are pilots. There's a couple non-AV staff officers in HHC, and the forward support company is non-AV officers. Other than that, everyone else is a pilot. Your starting point though is a line company PL.

Officers don't have contracts. We have obligations under the law that you agree to by accepting your commission. For everyone that's 6-8yrs. Once you go to flight school, that goes away & you start a 5yr clock from when you start flying. You will get your flight school quota from HRC if you're coming from ROTC, and it'll be 18-24mos after you commission before you report to Rucker. Part way into Rucker before you get your aviation service orders (flight pay starts), which is when the 5yr clock starts.

It's not hard to get out of the Army as an officer. You can resign anytime you like. If you have remaining service obligation, you'll do that as enlisted, if not, you'll be out of the Army. If you want to retain your commission, say for retirement purposes, then you can't resign. Instead, you are transferred to the IRR or you retire to the retired reserve. None of that is hard to do as long as you've served out your obligation.
            thanks a lot sir. that cleared up a lot of my quesstions
            Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X