X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First OCS Phase 0 drill this weekend

I'm pretty excited about getting OCS started. First drill down at Camp Swift, Tx Friday-Sunday. Anyone done the program in Texas that can let me know what to expect? When I talked to the NCOIC, he put me down for accellerated in the summer, but I know I've got three weekend phase 0 drills until then.

Re: First OCS Phase 0 drill this weekend

I am right there with ya. Myself and a couple others are heading down Friday morning for Swift for Phase 0. PM me and I can send you what they gave us as far as Activities and what to bring, etc.

Comment

I have my in IL this weekend also. I'm really looking forward to getting this started! Good luck to you all.

Comment

Paperwork and kick in the junk. That about cover it for ya?

No, actually they were pretty soft the first two drills for my ph0 a couple years ago. I heard last year they turned it on the first drill. No big deal, but it'll wake you up to what ph1 is all about. Just pass your PT test strong & get your packet square soon as you can.

Comment

That's about what I figured, sir, thanks! You did AOCS, correct? Where did you go?

Comment

SD AOCS in summer 08.

My experience... I was very impressed with the TACs and overall operation (logistics, etc) back in TX. That's not state pride. I don't know if it's us having a larger state structure to draw from, or just a very high quality/standard organization, but it's a solid professional competent place to make new officers. There's a few weak points, but it'll start you off on the right track.

The folks in SD were from all over. Some were good, some were very not good. The support was average. I was not overly impressed, but I wasn't pissed about the quality either.

I've been off to active duty TRADOC since then, and the staff/logistics/etc there was/is a complete disaster. You'll be certain it would get everyone killed if it were running an actual combat operation. Which is probably why those folks are in TRADOC instead of an operational command. That process made me very mad, but you get over it as soon as you can clear the place & get back to your unit.

Comment

Roger that, sir, thanks for the insight. My preference is for SD this summer. Do you commission at the end of that course, or come back and commission with the state? I've heard both.

Comment

Dnall, you struck a chord in me that I have to relate. My old baseball coach was the first commandant of the Academy in Texas. Colonel John C. L. Scribner set the standard high from the beginning. I knew Col Scribner as my little league baseball coach and one of my dad's fellow officers in the Texas Army National Guard.

About seven years later or so, I was drilling at Camp Mabry on Muster Day, and I saw him. After my salute, he was very excited to see me and the first words out of his mouth were "there's my pitcher!"

Colonel Scribner's son and I were a pretty imposing set of pitchers as 10 and 11 year olds.

And you could see his discipline even in working with kids. Some coaches would have their teams practice every other day for 2 or 3 hours, something like that. With Col. Scribner, it was different, it was every day for 1.5 hours, Monday through Friday, extremely consistent.

What a great leader and officer he was. After retiring from the Texas Army Guard, he became a state employee, organizing the Museum that is named for him.

I believe he died last year or the year before. I can't find his obit right this second.

Here is his military bio

http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum...r/scribner.htm

Comment

Originally posted by knelson
                  Roger that, sir, thanks for the insight. My preference is for SD this summer. Do you commission at the end of that course, or come back and commission with the state? I've heard both.
                  You'll do a graduation/bn de-activation formation up at Sturgis at the end. Then you'll come home, and little over a month later you'll do a graduation/swear-in (probably at Mabry) followed by a dining out (downtown hotel somewhere). It'll be all the two accelerated classes & traditional all together. Should be about 50-60 folks.

Comment

Originally posted by dnall
                    You'll do a graduation/bn de-activation formation up at Sturgis at the end. Then you'll come home, and little over a month later you'll do a graduation/swear-in (probably at Mabry) followed by a dining out (downtown hotel somewhere). It'll be all the two accelerated classes & traditional all together. Should be about 50-60 folks.
                    Thanks, sir. That's about what I figured, but its always good hearing it from someone who actually went through it.

Comment

Working...
                    X