Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

70A/70B Health Care Administrator

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 70A/70B Health Care Administrator

    I have a MS Health Car Management. I am interested in becoming a Health Care Administrator. 70A or 70B I believe is the correct career field. I will be 38 in Apr 2010. I have 19 years in the medical career field as a leader. I am also prior Air Force with 10 years active duty enlisted time. I am anxious and wondering if I can still be commissioned in the Army National Guard?
    Where do I start?

    Is it OCS or Direct Appointment? I have heard conflicting guidance.

    I have requested information, but have not received anything yet from the Vriginia Guard. I live in the Northern Virginia area. So I am willing to serve in Virginia, DC or Maryland.

    Thanks for the help.

  • #2
    Re: 70A/70B Health Care Administrator

    I know in California there is a special recruitment command for medical services for officers. You may need to contact the OSM for Virginia and see.


    • #3
      Re: 70A/70B Health Care Administrator

      There is usually at least a special OSM for medical.


      • #4
        Re: 70A/70B Health Care Administrator

        It's not unheard of to commission into the AMEDD from OCS, but the majority of AMEDD is direct commission. 70A/B is where the platoon leader track starts. You progress through the 70 series designators as you go throughout your career, and you can't promote to Major unless you get another 70 series designator (AOC, or area of concentration.)

        The 70 series go through Officer Basic long course, active duty and reserve which is about 9 weeks long, with three in the field. I was just there in the short course, 27 days.

        Your active duty time will lower your age for purposes of eligibility, but to be honest with you, the direct commission process is a long process for some people, or a lot of people . It took me almost a year to get in.

        If you want to get into the medical field, you pretty much have to direct commission, although there needs to be an opening for 70B somewhere for you in the state. You have to commission into a vacancy to direct commission. If you try to get into the MED via OCS, there may not be a place for you to go, in which case, you could end up something else.

        All of this information is based on my experience. Yours may be different. As stated, get a hold of your states Officer Strength Manager for the special branches. They will set you straight. Good luck. If you have any questions on the DCA process, if you go down that path, let me know.


        • #5
          Re: 70A/70B Health Care Administrator

          Originally posted by rat4spd
          If you have any questions on the DCA process, if you go down that path, let me know.
          Rat, Do you accept PMs? I dropped you a line some time ago regarding AMEDD and hadn't heard back. I saw that email was blocked as well. Please let me know.


          • #6
            Re: 70A/70B Health Care Administrator

            Sorry, I have been negligent in checking my pm's. I fixed the email issue.
            Last edited by rat4spd; March 22nd, 2010, 08:20 PM.