X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrant of Commissioned?

right now i am currently enrolled into ROTC but its not really appealing me. i wanted to be a warrant officer originally but my MOS 63/91B (wheeled vehicle mechanic) needs at least 6 years of experience before you can opted for it. when i found out about that i figured i could commission as a 2nd LT before id reach my 6 year mark and continue my career from there. However as i said before ROTC is making me think twice about it and is changing my direction in life back to wanting to be a Warrant officer. If i could get some feedback on what its like to be either let me know. I am gonna go talk to a warrant officer recruiter soon and hopefully see what information i can find out and if i can switch my MOS to hopefully aviation.

Re: Warrant of Commissioned?

If you're wanting to go WO under your prior MOS, you still need the six years. ROTC doesn't mean anything in that regard. You could commission as a LT & complete your branch training & you still would not be qualified to revert to WO1.

You don't need a feeder MOS to be a pilot. So, no need to change to an AV MOS. You need to talk to AV units & see what slots they have. Most likely they are short WOs. very heavily over strength on the commissioned side, and don't get enough seats at flight school per year to remotely address the problem. See what they say. Move over there as an SMP cadet. Talk to them about reverting to WO1 after flight school. They'll know the whole deal on HRC versus state quotas.

Comment

Originally posted by dnall
      If you're wanting to go WO under your prior MOS, you still need the six years. ROTC doesn't mean anything in that regard. You could commission as a LT & complete your branch training & you still would not be qualified to revert to WO1.

You don't need a feeder MOS to be a pilot. So, no need to change to an AV MOS. You need to talk to AV units & see what slots they have. Most likely they are short WOs. very heavily over strength on the commissioned side, and don't get enough seats at flight school per year to remotely address the problem. See what they say. Move over there as an SMP cadet. Talk to them about reverting to WO1 after flight school. They'll know the whole deal on HRC versus state quotas.
      what I meant was that I didnt want to do R.O.T.C. anymore because it does not appeal to me. I was looking at State OCS when I get 60 credits but I also was looking at trying to get a packet up for WOCS. I will contact other units and try to find out if they have any slots open. I just remember when i was in basic having someone contracted to go to WOCS and aviation school in my platoon... he was like one out of three that were going to WOCS or OCS.

Comment

Aviation WO is a whole different deal than walking warrants. AV you're in for a year long application process, followed by a 1-2year wait, then two years of hard work at Rucker. That's if there's a slot available & you can get through interviews with the whole state's aviation chain of command. It's very doable, but you need to be intensely committed, self-motivated, very intelligent, personable, and both extremely persistent and patient.

Walking WO, you need the pre-reqs to be approved by the proponent. There's little way around those.

If you want to go OCS, then that's fine. It's many orders of magnitude harder than ROTC. It is mentally and physically challenging - much moreso than basic training. Ultimately it leads to the same place ROTC does.

Regardless which of those paths you choose, they're going to ask you why you turned around on ROTC. You say it's not for you? Okay, in what way? Cause, all of these other options are more difficult with less benefits. All of them lead to the same position as an officer, which is much harder than any commissioning program. If you're telling me ROTC isn't for you, and asking to come to my program instead, you're going to have to convince me your logic is sound & that you have what it takes to be an officer.

Comment

Working...
        X