X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I need A slot to get going

I am prior service SGT E-5 (7 years active army honorable discharge). I started the process about 1 year ago to enlist in the NC Guard and then begin a warrant officer packet ASAP. It has been very frustrating with all the waiting and changes along the way. Long story short I have some very slight hearing loss and need a waiver, from what I understand would be no problem just need to go through the process. I waited for months for the waiver to come back only to find out that there was some miscommunication between recruiter and waiver NCO. Now it must be resubmitted but apparently there is no E-5 maintenance slot anywhere in western NC. I need a slot soon as I am 44 years young and running out of time for becoming a warrant officer. Please, anyone with any info that might help find an E-5 maintenance slot in the Western NC area let me know.

Re: Help I need A slot to get going

If it means that much to you to get in so you can work on a warrant slot, why not look for an e-4 slot?

Comment

Did you check other states? I wouldn't take a reduction in grade, most warrant packets will not waiver an e4, most require e5/e6.

Also, why can't you apply straight into the warrant, contact a warrant recruiter.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info, I have considered E-4 as an option but am very reluctant to do so (don't want to get stuck there for a long time if warrant does not work out). Looking into another state is a great idea, I am only about 15 miles from SC state line, I will check into that option soon. Also I did not know that going straight to warrant was even an option, I have been told that I need to be enlisted again for at least a few months before I turn in a packet. I do have phone# and E-mail for state WO strength manager and will call him first of next week with that question. Thanks again for all the great info.

Comment

Anyone heard of this, can I go straight to W/O candidate for prior service?

Comment

Originally posted by blazerM1009
            Anyone heard of this, can I go straight to W/O candidate for prior service?
            Good luck on that one. You better have A TON of civilian experience IN MANAGEMENT in your field (MOS).

I have 6 years active duty in electronics and 7 years civilian experience....I will be going in ENLISTED because what I have is NOT enough....as per the Warrant strength manager. She said maybe a couple more years and start putting in packages.

Comment

A Warrant Recruiter would be able to answer that. Of course that wouldn't help the enlisted recruiter.
              Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 26th, 2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I think I will call the NC state W/O strength manager this week, to see what he says about it. As for my current recruiter I think he will be cool about it, probably be happy for me to stop bugging him.

Comment

Good news, after being advised to speak with my recruiters supervisor turns out that there was an E-5 slot for me right at our local armory (within an hour of my call). Waiver request was signed by C/O last friday (only 2 days after the slot appeared) waiver has been sent to wherever it goes to be approved. Hopefully in about 1 more week I will be all set to be sworn in.

Comment

Nice. stuff happens for a reason.
                    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 26th, 2011, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

Originally posted by KMANinTX
                        Good luck on that one. You better have A TON of civilian experience IN MANAGEMENT in your field (MOS).

I have 6 years active duty in electronics and 7 years civilian experience....I will be going in ENLISTED because what I have is NOT enough....as per the Warrant strength manager. She said maybe a couple more years and start putting in packages.
                        Really? That doesn't sound right. Who did you talk to? Would you please PM me with a brief of your story & your contact info. I'll get back with you offline.

Comment

Great news, this morning I got a message from my recruiter saying that my waiver has been approved I am set to go to MEPS on this wed. mar. 10th. Finally after a little over a year it looks like the time is here.

Comment

Working...
                          X