X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC Scholarship???

I am currently in the ROTC program Jr. year, I've only been in it about a month now, my first semester. I am SMP at my unit, what do I do to get a ROTC scholarship, and what is it. I heard you get money everymonth, my recruiter said if you get a scholarship your more likely to go active because they want their money back out of you. I think I'm getting a good deal now, Heck I have my tuition paid for by GI bill also I get my drill money, Post 911 money which is the BAH for my area. Also I get a 600 dollar book stipend. Thats pretty good. I love to get the Scholarship money if I could, then I could quit my job and just be a student.

Re: ROTC Scholarship???

You should be getting a $450 monthly stipend as a contracted cadet in junior year scholarship or not (tax free). ROTC scholarships are competitive, and you are unlikely to be able to get one this late in the game. Likely, your only hope is a campus based scholarship resulting form funds left over after Cadet Command awarded your school's national scholarships. Those funds are sent to the school, and the PMS can award them as he sees fit. I doubt your PMS will award it to you without you proving yourself in the program first. In fact, I would be surprised if the funds aren't already awarded. Ask your ROO or MSL instructor.
    Last edited by cyall; January 31st, 2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your answer, that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by batman
        I am currently in the ROTC program Jr. year, I've only been in it about a month now, my first semester. I am SMP at my unit, what do I do to get a ROTC scholarship, and what is it. I heard you get money everymonth, my recruiter said if you get a scholarship your more likely to go active because they want their money back out of you. I think I'm getting a good deal now, Heck I have my tuition paid for by GI bill also I get my drill money, Post 911 money which is the BAH for my area. Also I get a 600 dollar book stipend. Thats pretty good. I love to get the Scholarship money if I could, then I could quit my job and just be a student.
        If you're already a junior, then I'm wondering how you could still be eligible for an ROTC scholarship.

Comment

There are still two year scholarships, but this late he likely has to hope for a campus based one since those have been awarded.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall
            There are still two year scholarships, but this late he likely has to hope for a campus based one since those have been awarded.
            If he's in his junior year, then wouldn't he have contracted already? The year's second semester is about to start.

Comment

Yes, he must be contracted, but I think the PMS can give the campus based scholarship to any cadet he believes is worthy.

Comment

I came into the program with 60 credit hours, and started Jan 13 of this year. That puts me going to LDAC in the summer of 2011, and graduating in Dec of 2011. My first two years were waived because of prior service, I talked to the cadre today about the rotc contract and they said once the DodMerbs physical came back squared away I contract. It will be after this summer that I contract. Thats the guidance Im getting.

Comment

Working...
                X