X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about becoming Warrant Officer w/ pilot's license

A friend of mine is contemplating joining Army and has his pilot's license. He attended a private flight school for helicopters and has flight hours logged (I'm not sure how many at this point). Is it possible for him to become a warrant officer and fly for the Army?

Re: Question about becoming Warrant Officer w/ pilot's license

Originally posted by mheathershaw
    A friend of mine is contemplating joining Army and has his pilot's license. He attended a private flight school for helicopters and has flight hours logged (I'm not sure how many at this point). Is it possible for him to become a warrant officer and fly for the Army?
    His private pilot qualifications certainly don't hurt him.

Comment

There's a lot of posts out (several from me) with information on how to become an Army WO pilot. Please review some of that with your friend & let us know your questions.

A private pilot's license is nice, but not a big deal. We routinely see CFIs up to airline pilots, and we see plenty of people with no flight experience. We really don't care. It's more about the person and their commitment. It's nice to know the guy is capable of learning, but beyond that it's not a factor. ie - it's cool, but we're not that easily impressed.

Comment

A CFI with a few hundred hours instructing would impress me more than an airline pilot. We have a couple of those guys (airline pilots) that have underwelmed me as helicopter pilots. On the other hand, getting my CFI or CFII wasn't as easy as getting through flight school or AQC. Personally I would take CFI/CFII experience over airline experience any day.

Private pilot license? Having it doesn't say as much about you as how you got it. Did you work your way through, paying your own way or did mummy and daddy pay for it while you sluffed off?

Having a license can't hurt, but don't be surprised if it doesn't carry as much weight as you think it should.

Comment

Working...
        X