X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion Process for ARNG Officers?

I was wondering if someone can give me an idea of how promotion boards work for officers in the guard. I've heard, but dont know the details, that being a two time non-select for promotion basically spells the end of your career, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.

From what I've read 2LT- > 1LT are basically time in grade only, 1LT-> CPT is becoming more time in grade only, but that's all just generalizations that i've read and heard from others.

Can anyone fill me in?

Re: Promotion Process for ARNG Officers?

Through CPT is TIG/TIS. After that promotions are competitive, and you will need a slot to promote into. No slot = no promotion. Expect to move and reclass to promote. Two non-selections does pretty much end a career.

Comment

It's more complicated then that.

You can be DA select, then moved to a position and promoted, or you can meet the requirements and be moved to a position and then be sent forward for FedRec.

2LT to 1LT requires TIG & OBC. Packet sent up for FedRec.

1LT to CPT requires completed degree, TIG, and a CPT slot. You may change locations at this point or during your time as a CPT moving between staff and a rotation as a CO.

CPT to MAJ is TIG/TIS plus CCC, then a board. That is something like 80% selection on the DA side. The bigger issue in the guard is getting hold of a MAJ slot. You most likely will change locations by this point, and may do so a couple times as a MAJ.

MAJ to LTC is ILE & TIG then board. That's like 25% selection, again the slot is the hard part. You really should have a master's degree at this point.

Beyond that it's still time plus OES plus board.

The biggest issue at every level is people not completing their OES or civilian education, and not having their records up to date & board packets prepared through officer records. If you don't take care of yourself, no one is going to do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dnall
        It's barely more complicated then that.

You can be DA select, then moved to a position and promoted, or you can meet the requirements and be moved to a position and then be sent forward for FedRec.

2LT to 1LT requires TIG & OBC. Packet sent up for FedRec.

1LT to CPT requires completed degree, TIG, and a CPT slot. You may change locations at this point or during your time as a CPT moving between staff and a rotation as a CO.

CPT to MAJ is TIG/TIS plus CCC, then a board. That is something like 80% selection on the DA side. The bigger issue in the guard is getting hold of a MAJ slot. You most likely will change locations by this point, and may do so a couple times as a MAJ.

MAJ to LTC is ILE & TIG then board. That's like 25% selection, again the slot is the hard part. You really should have a master's degree at this point.

Beyond that it's still time plus OES plus board.

The biggest issue at every level is people not completing their OES or civilian education, and not having their records up to date & board packets prepared through officer records. If you don't take care of yourself, no one is going to do it for you.
        Hmmm. So, through CPT it is basically TIG/TIS, and beyond that slot + board (competitive).

Comment

Originally posted by cyall
          Hmmm. So, through CPT it is basically TIG/TIS, and beyond that slot + board (competitive).
          Alright, gah!

Yes, that's basically it. But OES, education, paperwork (timely fedrec & DA packets) and working hard so you get slotted in front of peers is all really more important than TIG.

I guess it depends if you're talking to someone that it doesn't really matter if they know the answer, or if you're talking to an officer (or soon to be one) that can easily screw up their career if they don't know what they're doing. I don't know who all's reading this, so I went with the more thorough approach. Sorry. Not trying to one up you or anything.

Comment

Promotion to CPT and above requires a board, TIG, completion of OES and a slot.

Slots and completing the required OES is usually what screws up officers.

Comment

My waiver is approved and I'm just waiting on the mail for my meps files to transfer to Fort Hamilton to go physical and swear in as 09S. The NJ OSM told me that if I wanted infantry he will guarantee me infantry in writing, and I'm thinking I will go IN or FA. He also said quartermaster is available but that seems a little less interesting.

My phone is ringing off the hook with LT's calling to get me ready for OCS and I have an Infantry 1LT(p) that has agreed to be my mentor, but he just finished up airborne school and I'm not sure if he's back yet, and I'm just trying to absorb as much as possible about how the system works.

Looks like I'm going the traditional route starting this spring, which is fine by me. Initially I need to minimize time away from home, until I'm a bit more settled, after that I can take time for BOLC or other schools as needed.

Comment

Common issues for ARNG officer promotions
                1. Civilian education. Bachelor's degree required by law for promotion to captain. While a master's degree is not formally required for basic branch officers, so many field grade officers have higher degrees that one should consider an advanced degree in order to remain competitive.
                2. Military education. As soon as you are eligible, complete required military education. It never gets any easier.
                3. Geography. How far are you willing to drive to drill? Be realistic.
                4. Availability of positions. There are only so many slots.
                5. Qualifications. You must be qualified in your position in order to get promoted. Having more qualifications makes you more marketable.
                6. Performance. If you don't do a good job as a lieutenant, why would anyone trust you as a captain?

Comment

So if one is up for a DA Promotion... what is needed in the packet for O2-O3?

Comment

Originally posted by jason.lawrence.king View Post
                    So if one is up for a DA Promotion... what is needed in the packet for O2-O3?
                    If your commander is doing his job, he'll review your board file with you.

Make sure all of your OERs, 1059s from OBC/other schools, awards (especially if they are on your DA photo), transcripts showing your degree, are all permed in your file. Get your DA photo done. Read the announcement carefully that is sent to you about your pending board.

Once your board file opens, you don't have long to make any corrections. If you don't have a lot of OERs, you want to talk to your rater/senior rater about doing a complete the record eval, especially if you've done a great job.

Comment

Would someone mind covering the same thing for WO and Enlisted please?

Comment

Working...
                      X