Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrant Officer Questions

Hi,

First of all I'm a newly promoted SPC.
    My MOS is 25B Information Systems Analyst.
    I enlisted in October 2007, shipped basic on July 2008, due to the fact of the long waiting list for 25B AIT.
    So anyways I'm currently studying a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science.
    I'm thinking of MOS's 251A, 254A and 250N.
    I've got all 7 admin requirements ok, GT Score over 110, APFT, citizenship....

Pertaining to the MOS's I saw that SPC waivers are possible, but how are the chances of getting it?? Should I tal with my RDNCO to get on WLC so I can at least have that leadership school??

I know that I'm still "new" in the guard but I want to have my career under control meaning that if I can't apply yet to know what I need to work with...

I'm going to talk with my RDNCO to get more info about this, but first I thought about asking here so I can know what questions to ask him....

Thanks in Advance,

Re: Warrant Officer Questions

Sorry to not really have an answer for you, but I have a question about 25B AIT.

I ship out in 11 days and have heard people are having to wait 4-5 weeks for a slot. I know you went a bit ago, but how long did you have to wait once you got to AIT? What did you do while waiting?

Thanks! Best of luck with the WO stuff. I have heard it is a VERY competitive thing to get into, but I have also heard it is easy. I guess it depends who you are? My best suggestion would be to try to get some years & schools (WLC, BNOC, etc) under your belt since you will be competing against senior NCOs for the slots as well.

Comment

Well if your BCT date wasn't changed at RSP, you'll probably start classes the week after you graduate. If you don't get into it you'll probably have to do some beautification, duty driver and other details around post. Just make sure to listen to those instructurs specially, because if you fail it can take over a month to start with another class, best of luck at AIT. 25 Beasts!!!

Remeber Army Signal Corps, You can talk about us but you can't talk without us......

Comment

Good luck with that. Not sure if you saw my post on warrant stuff. I have 6yrs (E-5) under my belt active and the WO strength manager said for the next few years for me to work on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING leadership related.
        Last edited by KMANinTX; January 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruz.orlando
          Well if your BCT date wasn't changed at RSP, you'll probably start classes the week after you graduate. If you don't get into it you'll probably have to do some beautification, duty driver and other details around post. Just make sure to listen to those instructurs specially, because if you fail it can take over a month to start with another class, best of luck at AIT. 25 Beasts!!!

Remeber Army Signal Corps, You can talk about us but you can't talk without us......
          I did BCT back in 2004, I am a glossary non-prior re-enlistment. My ship date hasn't changed since the day I re-enlisted this summer. I am just hearing reports of soldiers getting to Gordon for 25B AIT, and being told they have to wait to get into a class.

Eh, I don't mind the wait if I do have to have one, just curious if anyone else had to experience it on here.

Thanks! Keep us posted with what your CoC says about WO.

Comment

Originally posted by cruz.orlando
            Hi,

First of all I'm a newly promoted SPC.
            My MOS is 25B Information Systems Analyst.
            I enlisted in October 2007, shipped basic on July 2008, due to the fact of the long waiting list for 25B AIT.
            So anyways I'm currently studying a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science.
            I'm thinking of MOS's 251A, 254A and 250N.
            I've got all 7 admin requirements ok, GT Score over 110, APFT, citizenship....

Pertaining to the MOS's I saw that SPC waivers are possible, but how are the chances of getting it?? Should I tal with my RDNCO to get on WLC so I can at least have that leadership school??

I know that I'm still "new" in the guard but I want to have my career under control meaning that if I can't apply yet to know what I need to work with...

I'm going to talk with my RDNCO to get more info about this, but first I thought about asking here so I can know what questions to ask him....

Thanks in Advance,
            Speak with your State WO Strength Manager, or Command Chief WO. You are welcome to apply for WO. Getting a rejection doesn't carry any negative effects, and the Proponent will tell you where you're lacking -- education, performance, leadership, etc.

I've seen an E4 or two get approved as a technical WO, but those guys had extensive civilian experience. Your civilian job performance and leadership have a great impact.
            Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Sir, as always you point soldiers in the right direction....

Thanks, that's what I was looking for I'll call my unit to find out who's the WO Strength Manager and his/her phone number.

As I said I'm studying BSCS and also working on getting CCNA Certified, and any info about what I should be working on is what I need. I enlisted young, I'm just 20 and already got 2 years of service. So I can get working on it to make it possible.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Comment

Of course continue to develop your technical expertise, but leadership and experience are the other legs of that chair.

At 20, regardless of what you've done, that's going to hurt you with a WO board. They expect to see people with many years of experience & documented leadership roles at the SL/Section Sgt level &/or higher level leader/manager positions in the civilian world.

I would say you need to complete that degree, get WLC at minimum, and get some additional leadership positions in your unit that will be documented heavily in letters of recommendation with your packet.

I think WO is a great route for a lot of people, but honestly, I have to wonder why at 20 with only two years in & working on a bachelors you're looking at WO rather than ROTC or OCS in order to branch signal?

The people we normally see going tech WO are outstanding NCOs that are topped out just because the structure above doesn't have a slot, and they're thinking forward to retirement. We do have a shortage, and we do try to target down a little more, but that's still junior NCOs that aren't going anywhere if they stay put, and that maybe don't have a lot of college.

At your point in life, I really think you should consider ROTC/OCS to branch signal. Just contracting ROTC right now would get you E-5 pay for drill.

Comment

Working...
                X