X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas Service Ribbon

This is FYI for you combat vets out there.

https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/Active...wards/faqs.pdf

Overseas Service Ribbon

References:
    o AR 600-8-22, Military Awards, Paragraph 5-4.
    o AR 614-30, Overseas Service, Table 3-2 and Table 3-3.
    o AR 670-1, Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia, Paragraph 29-6.
    o Joint Federal Travel Regulation, Volume 1 (Uniformed), Appendix Q (Overseas Tour Lengths) http://dodtravelregs.hqda.pentagon.m....htm?view=main

Background: The Army Overseas Service Ribbon was established by the Secretary of the Army on April 10, 1981. Effective August 1, 1981, the Army Overseas Service Ribbon is awarded to all members of the Active Army, Army National Guard, and Army Reserve in an active Reserve status for successful completion of overseas tours. The ribbon may be awarded retroactively to personnel who were credited with a normal overseas tour completion before August 1, 1981, provided they had an Active Army status on or after August 1, 1981. To receive the OSR, Soldiers must be credited with a normal overseas tour completion in accordance with AR 614-30 (see table 3-2). Soldiers who have overseas service with another branch of service (AF, Navy, Marines) must be credited with normal overseas tour completion by that service to qualify for award of the OSR.

Questions and Answers

Question 1: Can I be awarded the OSR for being in Iraq?
    Answer 1: Soldiers are authorized to be awarded the OSR upon completion of a “normal overseas tour as IAW AR 614-30.” If a Soldier is credited with tour completion for serving in Iraq, yes they can receive the OSR.

Question 2: I was awarded the Iraq Campaign Medal (ICM) during my deployment to Iraq. I was credited with a normal overseas tour when I redeployed to my home station. Am authorized the ICM and the OSR?
    Answer 2: A Soldier who receives another campaign/service medal for participating in a designated operation may still receive the OSR if they receive overseas tour credit IAW AR 614-30.

Question 3: Just noticed the change to the OSR criteria where the rule which prohibited the OSR being awarded if another campaign/service medal was given was rescinded. Is this change retroactive?
    Answer 3: Since the policy was eliminated, Soldiers who have received “normal overseas tour credit” for past deployments to designated areas IAW AR 614-30 may now have their records updated with the OSR.

Question 4: How long do I have to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan to be awarded the OSR?
    Answer 4: Overseas tour credit is outlined in AR 614-30. Provided below is a clarification statement the proponent to AR 614-30 has provided our office:

“Soldiers who serve a minimum of 11 cumulative months or 9 continuous months in a TCS/TDY status get credit for a completed short tour. Your reference is AR 614-30 (23 Sep 04), Table 3-2, rules 5 and 7. Iraq and Afghanistan are considered isolated areas where tour lengths have not been established by DOD; therefore, the Army gives equivalent credit for periods of TCS/TDY. Also, since there is no official established DOD tour length, Soldiers cannot serve in Iraq in PCS status. To determine the overseas tour lengths refer to Table 1, Appendix Q, Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR), Volume 1. You will not find a tour length for Afghanistan or Iraq.”

Question 5: I deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan from an OCONUS duty station. Am I authorized the OSR for my OCONUS tour and for my tour in Iraq or Afghanistan?
    Answer 5: Overseas tour credit is outlined in AR 614-30. Provided below is a clarification statement the proponent to AR 614-30 has provided our office:

“When a Soldier is serving OCONUS on a prescribed tour and is deployed on TDY/TCS the original prescribed tour is not interrupted. Soldier can get credit for two tours.”

Question 6: I am a Reserve Component Soldier mobilized onto active duty. I deployed to Iraq for 12 consecutive months. Am I authorized normal overseas tour credit and award of the OSR?
    Answer 6: Overseas tour credit is outlined in AR 614-30. If you are given credit, yes you are authorized the OSR. Provided below is a clarification statement the proponent to AR 614-30 has provided our office:

“AR 614-30 indicates that various categories of Reserve Component (ARNG and USAR) Soldiers serving on Active Duty (e.g., AGR, Mobilized, Extended Active Duty) are subject to the provisions of the Regulation. Consequently, if subject to the provisions of AR 614-30 these RC Soldiers would be eligible for tour credit if they met the provisions of Table 3-2, AR 614-30. The posting of their records would be in accordance with the provisions of AR 600-8-14.”

Question 7: I have deployed to Afghanistan twice. Both times I served 12 consecutive months. Am I authorized overseas tour credit and two OSRs?
    Answer 7: Overseas tour credit is outlined in AR 614-30. If you are given credit for each deployment, yes you are authorized the OSR for each credited tour.

Question 8: There are service members entering the Army from other services of which some have the OSR from their service. Will they wear that branch of service OSR or will they wear the Army OSR?
    Answer 8: The wear of ribbons on the uniform is determined by AR 670-1. Paragraph 29-6, AR 670-1, does not indicate that another Service overseas service ribbon is authorized to be worn. Paragraph 29-6d states: “U.S. service (campaign) medals, and service and training ribbons. U.S. service (campaign) medals, and service and training ribbons authorized for wear on the uniform are listed below, in their order of precedence.” The only overseas service ribbon listed is the Army OSR. Thus, other service OSRs are not authorized to be worn on the Army uniform.
    As a result, if Soldier was credited with overseas tours by the other service, the Soldier should be awarded the appropriate number of Army OSRs.

Question 9: 2/3 Tour Rule: I have been told that you are authorized your OSR at the completion of 2/3 of your tour. Is this true?
    Answer 9: The 2/3 rule you refer to does not exist. The OSR is only authorized if the Soldier is awarded “normal overseas tour credit” IAW AR 614-30. You should refer to Table 3-2 and Table 3-3, AR 614-30 for rules on granting completion of a successful overseas tour.

Question 10: IPCOT: If a Soldiers does an In-Place Consecutive Overseas Tour (IPCOT), when does the Soldier get to wear the OSR for completion of the first tour?
    Answer 10: If a Soldier will serve an in-place consecutive overseas tours (IPCOT), the Soldier may be awarded their first OSR upon completion of their first tour IAW AR 614-30. The Soldier may be awarded the second OSR upon completion of an additional normal overseas tour IAW AR 614-30.

Question 11: KDSM: Does the change to the OSR policy also apply to personnel who have been awarded the Korean Defense Service Medal...that is, are those personnel now authorized to wear both the OSR and the KDSM?
    Answer 11: Yes, if they received credit for the completion of an overseas tour in Korea.

Question 12: Wear of Numerals on the OSR. If a Soldier has served/completed 6 overseas assignments...would he use the numeral 6 on the OSR?
    Answer 12: Yes. IAW paragraph 6-4, AR 600-8-22, the ribbon denotes the first award and numerals starting with the numeral “2” denote the number of additional awards.

Question 12: I was on a 6 month deployment to Bosnia, am I eligible for the OSR?
    Answer 12: Refer to the answer to question 4, above. The same rules apply. A six month deployment to Bosnia does not meet the requirement. The bottom line is overseas tour credit must be credited, IAW AR 614-30.

Question 13: It appears that in every situation, the OSR is only authorized if a Soldier is credited with completion of an overseas tour. Who determines if an overseas tour was completed and ensures the Soldier’s records is posted to reflect the completion of the tour?
    Answer 13: The custodian of a Soldier’s personnel records makes the determination, IAW the rules established in AR 614-30, and posts the completed overseas tours to the Soldier’s record. If you are unsure who your records custodian is, check with your S1, they will know.

Question 14: I have two soldiers that where deployed to Vietnam in 1970. They are now deployed for OIF/OEF. Are they authorized an OSR for their time in Vietnam? It appears the award is retroactive before 1981, as long as they have Active Duty time after 1981. They were both credited with normal tour completions for Vietnam.
    Answer 14: IAW paragraph 5-4b, AR 600-8-22, the OSR may be awarded retroactively to Soldiers who were credited with a normal overseas tour completion before 1 Aug 81 provided they had an Active Army status as defined above on or after 1 Aug 81. You must find out from AR 614-30 whether service in Vietnam during the Vietnam War was given “overseas tour credit.” The current JFTR states that Vietnam without dependents is 12 months. If the Soldier served at least 12 months in the AO under the current criteria, he is authorized to be retroactively awarded the OSR for Vietnam. If Soldier served less than 12 months, there are two courses of action. 1) The Soldier can submit a written request to HRC MAB for the veteran’s authorization section to determine if the Soldier is eligible for the medal. 2) Your command may contact the proponent of AR 614-30 to verify tour length requirements during the Vietnam War and then determine authorization for the medal at your level.

Re: Overseas Service Ribbon

Re: Question 8.

AR 600-8-22, Chapter 5, paragraph 2
    5–2. Service medals and ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services
    Service medals and ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services may be worn on the Army uniform except the Air Force
    Longevity Service Award Ribbon and Air Force and Navy Marksmanship ribbons. Service and training ribbons
    awarded by other U.S. Services will be worn after U.S. Army service and training ribbons and before foreign awards.

Wouldn't this counter the order of precedence from 670-1?

Comment

This is a good post, thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
        Re: Question 8.

AR 600-8-22, Chapter 5, paragraph 2
        5–2. Service medals and ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services
        Service medals and ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services may be worn on the Army uniform except the Air Force
        Longevity Service Award Ribbon and Air Force and Navy Marksmanship ribbons. Service and training ribbons
        awarded by other U.S. Services will be worn after U.S. Army service and training ribbons and before foreign awards.

Wouldn't this counter the order of precedence from 670-1?
        First of all, thank you Phantom for your comment.

Since you are a Marine and probably served overseas; you are not supposed to wear your Marine Corps/Navy overseas ribbon but should have that added to your ERB and then get the appropriate numeral on the Army OSR.

Also, I know you are probably aware the your unit citations awards that you use to wear on your left-side; needs to be placed on your right side and without the gold frame.

If you are confused about the order of precedence, you can always use the ribbon builder from within AKO and it should order it correctly. I know with other branches, the system might not have the ribbon or incorrectly place it but there are other websites that have rackbuilders that know how to merge the ribbons from other services. Now and days with thousands serving in numerous branches; AR 670-1 can be confusing. I have seen senior enlisted and officers with wrong ribbon placement.

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

tl;dr

dumb it down.

okay I read it.
            Last edited by Mr_Loki; March 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X