X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E4 to NCO during drill?

While I was on base I talked to two Air Force sergeants, one being former Army, that said I could take an NCO course while going to drills and become an E5 before I even make it to BCT. Is this true? By the way, I've already done research on this discussion board. I came up on a sticky that said "It ain't happenin". If it isn't, then are the Air Force personnel lying or just blowing hot air up my skirt?

Re: E4 to NCO during drill?

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
    While I was on base I talked to two Air Force sergeants, one being former Army, that said I could take an NCO course while going to drills and become an E5 before I even make it to BCT. Is this true? By the way, I've already done research on this discussion board. I came up on a sticky that said "It ain't happenin". If it isn't, then are the Air Force personnel lying or just blowing hot air up my skirt?
    Not possible...either the AF guy is just trying to get you going, or else just doesnt know how the army works.

I mean, just think about it, how can you be a leader of soldiers before you even know how to be a soldier?

Comment

Dumbest thing from the "Joe Line" I've read in a while. (Meaning, what they told you....not you specifically.)
      Last edited by SteveLord; December 30th, 2010, 09:50 AM.

Comment

A man that wears a skirt? Sorry, I thought you were a man.

You can take the online distant learning NCO course and yes, you can attend the WLC (warrior's leaders course) but you have to be recommended by your chain of command for that.

When I was an NCO, I attended the BNCOC (basic NCO course) common core in the Guard and I attended that in lieu of going to my drill but like any other school, you are temporarily assigned by orders to attend. That is how you get paid.

On active duty, we have high speed E-3s going to 15-day WLC but its mostly an E-4/E-5 course. Currently, you do not need this NCO development course to become a sergeant.

But as other said, you need to have the minimum time-in-grade and time-in-service and have the necessary points (and this is competing with your peers) to be recommended and promoted to E5.

Hope this helps.

edit: my post pertains to a soldier that has already completed BCT/AIT.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; December 30th, 2010, 09:47 AM.

Comment

And I forgot to mention that there are no such thing as an E-5 that attends BCT. Its only an E-4 and below thing. Yea, an E-5 drill sergeant (do not know if that currently exists due to the past scandals. Usually its an E-6 to be a male drill sergeant) yelling at an E-5 recruit. Probably happens at the hooah schools (an E-5 that is part of the cadre) but not at IET.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; December 30th, 2010, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            And I forgot to mention that there are no such thing as an E-5 that attends BCT. Its only an E-4 and below thing. Yea, an E-5 drill sergeant (do not know if that currently exists due to the past scandals. Usually its an E-6 to be a male drill sergeant) yelling at an E-5 recruit. Probably happens at the hooah schools (an E-5 that is part of the cadre) but not at IET.
            You know though, with the recent changes in getting rid of WTC, there actually can be prior service E5s going to basic. It will be interesting to see how all of that plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
              You know though, with the recent changes in getting rid of WTC, there actually can be prior service E5s going to basic. It will be interesting to see how all of that plays out.
              Excellent observation sergeant but I believe if the Army will take an NCO from another service; they will probably waive the BCT and send him to his MOS/re-class school.

Since you are in the front lines of witnessing these changes; please do inform us if this does happen.

Comment

if the Army will take an NCO from another service; they will probably waive the BCT and send him to his MOS/re-class school.
                I hope not. When **** will hit the fan i don't want to be under the command of some former AF dude who has never seen real BCT in his life...i mean common i think in AF they still are allowed to drive bike instead of running on their PT's...

Comment

I'm going to have to agree. Nothing against AF or any other branch. but everything is different when you switch branches. I would expect the same from them if one of us switched. You need to go to BCT since there's no more WTC. Point blank. We do things differently and we need to know we can depend on you to do it the right way, not "well in the navy we did it like this..."(not ragging on anyone, just stating a fact)

Comment

Excellent observation sergeant but I believe if the Army will take an NCO from another service; they will probably waive the BCT and send him to his MOS/re-class school.

Since you are in the front lines of witnessing these changes; please do inform us if this does happen.
                    From what we are being told, they are coming to the RSP and then through basic just like the E4 and below. We haven't had any enlist since the new policy was put in place but I'll let everyone know when I see one actually do it.

Comment

Well I just enlisted in the guard as an E5 from the Navy, and although I haven't been yet, I am told that I will be attending BCT. Also, I am not attending RSP and I'm drilling with my unit.
                      Last edited by Killjoysux; December 30th, 2010, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killjoysux View Post
                        Well I just enlisted in the guard as an E5 from the Navy, and although I haven't been yet, I am told that I will be attending BCT. Also, I am not attending RSP and I'm drilling with my unit.
                        That should be changing shortly, it was just within the past month they put out that all prior service should quit drilling with unit and start drilling with RSP. If you're in VA then I know for a fact that you will probably end up at the RSP before going to basic.

Comment

That would make a lot of sense. I figured I should be prepared for abrupt changes.

Comment

... I believe if the Army will take an NCO from another service; they will probably waive the BCT and send him to his MOS/re-class school.
                            Actually, all prior service except Army and Marines will have to attend Army BCT...and even prior Army and Marines too if they're more than 3 years past their ETS date. I know cause I leave in two months and I'm prior Navy.

Comment

Originally posted by tfritz28 View Post
                              Actually, all prior service except Army and Marines will have to attend Army BCT...and even prior Army and Marines too if they're more than 3 years past their ETS date. I know cause I leave in two months and I'm prior Navy.
                              This is confusing. You say, all....and then say even prior Army/Marines too...and then say you know because you're Navy????

Anyway, the 3 year thing is for those getting into the ACTIVE ARMY.

6. For all PS personnel accessing into the Active Army with a break in service of more than 3 years
                              past their MSO, regardless of prior service affiliation, will attend BCT. (# 6 does not apply to the ARNG
                              or USAR).
                              Last edited by SteveLord; December 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X