Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for AAS School (Camp Rilea, OR)

So...

I'm slotted to go to AAS at one of the ARNG WTC posts which I mentioned above.

I'm very excited but somewhat worried at the same time... My APFT score is above average but in my mind, comparatively mediocre to some of the people that will be going there? and although I consider myself in good shape, I'm not incredibly fit.

Although I love being bagged on for getting a slot like this, I would really like to make the most of my time there and my state's money.. haha.

Any advice?

Re: Tips for AAS School (Camp Rilea, OR)

I went there. Good thing about it is that for the ruck marches the road/unimproved surfaces you take aren't very hilly like Ft. Benning GA. The course is the same as any AA course, you will run everywhere, or walk with a rucksack on your back. You will have the same phases and everything. Just make sure you work out before, pullups, push ups, situps, and rucking. You go in shape, you won't have a problem. Practice ruck marching with your pack full, don't jip yourself on the training!

Comment

Hey Brother, do a little research on the AAS training program. Info can be found on the Ft Benning site, here: https://www.benning.army.mil/wtc/wtc/b/aaslt/index.htm . They even have a physical fitness training plan for you, here: https://www.benning.army.mil/wtc/wtc...ING%20PLAN.xls .

Comment

Keep yourself hydrated and motivated. Listen and follow direction, ATTENTION TO DETAIL during phase 2 Sling Load. Lots of ppl get sent home for not passing phase 2 of AAS.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
          I went there. Good thing about it is that for the ruck marches the road/unimproved surfaces you take aren't very hilly like Ft. Benning GA. The course is the same as any AA course, you will run everywhere, or walk with a rucksack on your back. You will have the same phases and everything. Just make sure you work out before, pullups, push ups, situps, and rucking. You go in shape, you won't have a problem. Practice ruck marching with your pack full, don't jip yourself on the training!
          Agree. Practice ruck marching alot before you go. The ruck isn't that difficult in all honesty, but if you go unprepared then you could really hurt yourself. Practice with a good amount of weight, about 50lbs, and toughen up you feet. Blisters can stop you dead in your tracks even if you are an exceptional rucking machine. Go to Air Assault with a good pair of boots that are well broken in and not worn out. Prepare your feet before the march by putting on mole skin in your usual hot spot areas(you will know where if you ruck enough), secure the mole skin with tape and bring an extra pair of socks with you in your cargo pocket.

I thought that AAS was physically not that difficult. I am in very good shape but it wasn't anything that really pushed me to my limits. The hardest day was zero day. The hardest part of the course is mental, sling loads and attention to detail! Attention to detail in all the packing lists ESPECIALLY the final packing list for the ruck march!

Also you may want to practice climbing rope. At the very least practice technique. There were several people that failed on the first obstacle because they couldn't climb the rope on The Tough One. If you can't muscle it up then learn to use your legs to lock onto the rope and push yourself up. I also recommend doing alot of calistenics to the point of muscle failure then immediately after run 2 miles in ACU's in 18 minutes or less.

Comment

If your already SLICC certed do you need to do that week over if attending AAS?

(I feel like this one is going to bite me, LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by teddy13bu6 View Post
              If your already SLICC certed do you need to do that week over if attending AAS?

(I feel like this one is going to bite me, LOL)
              Yes you still need to complete this phase even if you are slick or Pathfinder qualified. It's not too difficult IMO. Pay attention to the sequence the AAS instructors teach you and practice that sequence to memory. At the end of the duty day they give you the opportunity to practice, take advantage of that time. The instructors will also be there to assist you further. During these after hours the instructors are very approachable, they want you to succeed.

Most of the people that failed this phase did not practice after the duty day or did not have a set sequence to look for deficiencies.

Comment

Def. Pay attention, they do it a little differently than you did in SLICC. Don't be cocky, just study and stay after to be sure you know what's going on. Never too much practice!

Comment

Working...
                X