X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen identity

So I was going through my OMPF and saw that someone used my SSN when they were arrested.

What is the best route for me to correct this?

Re: Stolen identity

Everyone uses your SSN when they get in trouble, sir.

Is it something you can correct? Is it just a notification that someone used your SSN when they were arrested? I would tell your bank and all that good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
      So I was going through my OMPF and saw that someone used my SSN when they were arrested.

The first thing you should do is contact the SSA; using someone’s SSN is a federal crime Under certain circumstances, SSA may assign you a new SSN if, after making all efforts to resolve the problems caused by someone else’s misuse of your SSN, you are still being disadvantaged by the misuse.

Although, a new number can actually create new problems. If the old credit information is not associated with the new number, the absence of any credit history under the new number may make it more difficult for you to get credit.

If you can document that you are being disadvantaged because of the misuse of your SSN, visit your local SSA field office to request a new SSN, or contact SSA directly at:

• Phone: 1-800-772-1213, or
      • Online: www.ssa.gov/reach.htm.

In addition to using the Social Security website, you can call toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. They can answer specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Comment

I would also request credit reports from the 3 major credit reporting agencies as soon as possible to make sure it hasn't also been used for other things (i.e. employment, credit, etc...)

Comment

I keep on eye on my credit, which that's not what they used it for. My credit is all good.

They gave my SSN to the police when they were arrested.

Which this happened before I got my clearance and enlisted, by several years.

It just looks bad when people do background checks and someone has used your SSN, to be arrested.

I know where the person lives and where they were arrested and how old they are. I called their PD today.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post

Which document in the OMPF was that? The background checks?

Good posts on the information. I am assuming that this happened years ago or it happened recently?

Since you know the individual you are a leg ahead than most. Recently, my military star had unauthorized charges (on the internet) and had to get it cancelled and reissue new cards. Crazy new world we live in.

Comment

Sounds like you are the victim of what is called "False Personation" or "False Impersonation". You could contact your local Police Department and file a report with them as it is a crime. They would probably contact the PD where your info was used and hopefully that will square it away.

If you haven't done so already...

Comment

It's possible that the arrestee made up a SSN on the spot when they were asked. Definitely not the likeliest of scenarios, but it's possible nonetheless. And Chris36 is giving some good advice. Have you been an identity theft victim before?

Comment

Negative first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rokovak View Post
                    It's possible that the arrestee made up a SSN on the spot when they were asked. Definitely not the likeliest of scenarios, but it's possible nonetheless. And Chris36 is giving some good advice. Have you been an identity theft victim before?
                    Yes sir, someone used my SSN for employment, on a hospital ER form and received a credit card in which they charged over $5,000. It was a huge legal nightmare; nip it in the bud and MAKE SURE with the SSA that it is only being used by you (whoever is reading this)... they can run an earnings report.

When I didn't receive an expected tax credit because they (IRS) said I made too much money I found out it was being used by someone else and the IRS has BOTH of our incomes listed...

Just because your credit report is clean doesn't mean it's not being used for other things; I'd make sure, just to be safe.

BTW - all is fine now, done and dusted and credit is back to where it once was

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      Which document in the OMPF was that? The background checks?

Good posts on the information. I am assuming that this happened years ago or it happened recently?

Since you know the individual you are a leg ahead than most. Recently, my military star had unauthorized charges (on the internet) and had to get it cancelled and reissue new cards. Crazy new world we live in.
                      Correct background checks.

Comment

I know that they haven't used my SSN for tax or employment purposes in that state.

Comment

The person didn't technically steal your identity and won't look bad on you. He just used your SSN at the time of booking and now will be an AKA for him, you’d see the same thing if you shared the same name and DOB. What you're seeing on your paperwork actually happens on all the time. This why when you apply for a security clearance, you're asked for your full name, DOB, height/weight, hair/eye color as these are also used in matching you to a NCIC print out.

The only time you really need to be concerned is if you’re identity had truly been stolen and a criminal was using your true ID it could cause problems as now all of your info will be an AKA for the criminal. In my experience, this doesn’t happen a lot as it takes some work to do.

A couple of things you can do to protect yourself:

-Don’t use the blue drop boxes for your mail. ID thieves target these boxes as it’s hard to find the victims. Go into the post office.

-Don’t leave your wallet/purse in a gym locker or visible in your car. Most thieves will just run your credit cards up.

-Monitor your credit and statements. Make a police report if you feel there is fraud on your account. The companies will want this information to excuse the debt (keep in mind once they do excuse the debt, they become the victim and not you).

Comment

Working...
                          X