X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying with HHC

I'm currently with a Signal Company in a Support Battalion. It's a good possibility that I'll be changing units and deploying with an Infantry Regiment, as a member of their Headquarters & Headquarters Company doing 25U work.

Can anyone with experience or knowledge tell me what to expect working in an Infantry Regiment's HHC as a signal soldier during a deployment? What jobs or responsibilities might I have? Will I mostly be going outside the wire or stuck on the FOB?

Re: Deploying with HHC

Originally posted by Mom's Mistake View Post
    I'm currently with a Signal Company in a Support Battalion. It's a good possibility that I'll be changing units and deploying with an Infantry Regiment, as a member of their Headquarters & Headquarters Company doing 25U work.

Can anyone with experience or knowledge tell me what to expect working in an Infantry Regiment's HHC as a signal soldier during a deployment? What jobs or responsibilities might I have? Will I mostly be going outside the wire or stuck on the FOB?
    Mistake,

Have you checked out this website?

http://www.armynerd.com/

You will work in the commo shop but if a squad or platoon might need a backup to drive a vehicle or man a gun, perhaps your leadership might give the OK for you to do that. Also, it might depend if you go to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Comment

Hey that's a pretty nice website. I wish more 25 series soldiers would use it though.

So basically the commo shop is like my current whole company, but on a smaller scale. Looks like being a 25U for them I'll be doing a lot of work with radioes and maybe some desktop support if they're lacking in 25Bs. I thought maybe they'd be using me as an RTO for convoys or something...which sounds like they can if they want as well.

Thanks for the info. If anyone else out there has any experience, feel welcome to share it.

Comment

Anytime. You did not mention to what theater you might be deployed. Anyway, you can train any soldier to be an RTO. Does not take much to place a radio in a manpack, change freqs in a vehicle mount or fill it with an ANCD. I do not miss the SINCGARS/ASIPs. Perhaps you will man the radio at the TOC/CP.

If you go to an austere FOB in Afghanistan, there usually have a JNN or CPN which is ran by Signaleers that are part of a ESB. Also, if your users will require accounts on the network, they have to go to the Fort Gordon website to take the IA test so they will submit that with their other forms so the helpdesk can get their accounts created. If you are going to support their desktops, you will be designated as an IMO in which you have to take required training (while downrange) to receive elevated privileges.

Good luck.

Comment

Yeah sorry, I cannot say which theater since I've been told that the information of where I'm going and with whom is not for public knowledge yet. But you can pretty much guess where most likely I'm heading to.

Thanks for the information though. It's been pretty insightful as to what can possibly become of my role in all this considering the 25U slot I'm filling and my real MOS are two different things. Like anything else in the Guard, anything can happen...but I'm glad to be going.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom's Mistake View Post
            Yeah sorry, I cannot say which theater since I've been told that the information of where I'm going and with whom is not for public knowledge yet. But you can pretty much guess where most likely I'm heading to.
            Holland? Gotcha...your secret is safe with me.

Comment

I was going to say South Korea.

Comment

Yes, Holland! How'd you know?!!! Who told you?! I smell a rat....

Comment

Working...
                X