X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Schools/Courses

How would one get into schools such as airborne school, air assault school, pathfinder school, sniper school, mountain school, Javelin Course, jump masters school, etc.. ?

Re: Army Schools/Courses

JGAR, tell us a little about yourself?

To get into some schools; you can get them in an enlistment contract (e.g. airborne, ranger) or get them along the way depending on MOS and/or assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by JGar View Post
      How would one get into schools such as airborne school, air assault school, pathfinder school, sniper school, mountain school, Javelin Course, jump masters school, etc.. ?
      lol, you know your schools! But yea, as the slicker said, you can sometimes get them in your contract. If you aren't one of the lucky ones to get them that way, you have to request to get them through your unit. Kepp your PT scores high(270 and above), and be a good Soldier at drills(don't show up late, or be a problem child) and you shouldn't have a problem as long as the state has funding and slots to send you.

Comment

Well I have always been on time and have had 300 PT score since Ive joined. All I have to do is request this training through my unit?

Comment

Originally posted by JGar View Post
          Well I have always been on time and have had 300 PT score since Ive joined. All I have to do is request this training through my unit?
          Yea, there should be a form in your training office that yuo fill out and give to the training NCO. Then you play the waiting game...

Comment

Commanders will want to send troops that are most likely to pass. This is why fitness and health are very important. On top of that, have solid references from your chain of command.

Comment

So you wanna be a Patchfinder?

The Guard typically has a limited budget, so the first priority goes to MOSQ and OES/NCOES required courses.

With the leftovers...(sorry, I had to pause long enough to quit laughing)...You typically have to occupy such a slot, AND have approval from the state Hq. I know troops who moved from an Engineer unit to an Air Assault unit so they could compete for a AA School slot. But if the commander required them to be MOSQ first, then, well, he would have had to go to get his Infantry MOS first, then compete for AA.

We have a Sapper Company...but no luck getting people to Sapper School because it is not a "required" school...

Now, if you are a Major and scheduling ILE...I highly recommend the one in Hawaii....but that is another story....

Comment

Yeap, Schools in the ARNG is very uncommon unless you have good PT, Get recognized by a SGM or LTC lol. I've been in the NYARNG for 4yrs now, only got 1 school and thats because they needed to fill a slot that someone canceled at the last minute on. They didnt want to lose that slot next year so they sent me, even after 3 months of begging answer was no. I wonder if when they decided to let me go to save there slots next time around I said no, how would the Battery feel? Well Good Luck my friend, I wish you luck and I know what you mean Cause I sure am a Patch/Qual hunter myself. SF Support is my next step, ABN achool, new MOS, cant get no better then that

Comment

Originally posted by teddy13bu6 View Post
                  SF Support is my next step, ABN achool, new MOS, cant get no better then that
                  Good Luck with this, you need to find that unit you keep talking about first. Live the pipe dream, but you have a lot of research to do first.. SF Support is not just a sign on the dotted line unit. Even the turds that the recruiter slips by with are "wanting" to find another home. You will be expected to be the SME in your field and have a great working knowledge of the one related to your section.

Going to Schools is great, and I encourage all of you to go to schools. Remember there are also online schools and classes you can get in within a few minutes online.. Look on AKO under my training.. Always learn as much as you can, no matter what the resource, it might be relevant down the road.

Comment

I want to go to Special Forces Combat Underwater Mess Kit repair. Wait, do they still have mess kits? Maybe I have to find a new school goal... back in the day this was the pinnacle of schools... I think you got to wear its coverted badge - a crossed fork and knife... or was it a crossed fork and spoon over a butter knife... I forget... and I digress...

I luv the term PatchFinder - it fits so many. Schools and training are just that - education and knowledge - and you may get a lickey-chewey to stick on your uniform to denote qualification. But keep in mind, these schools and training are not just some "get out of the way" or "I want that shiney thing" - it is a skill that you will have mastered (to pass the course) so that you can not only apply it to your job, but help train other soldiers in your Team, section and unit to improve thier knowledge and abilities to complete the mission, whenever and whatever that may be.

Some of the most schooled and trained soldiers I ever worked with barely wore anything on thier duty uniform - but in reality had all the uniform candy and shiney objects anyone could dream about.
                    Last edited by LRSU_Dog; January 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                      Good Luck with this, you need to find that unit you keep talking about first. Live the pipe dream, but you have a lot of research to do first.. SF Support is not just a sign on the dotted line unit. Even the turds that the recruiter slips by with are "wanting" to find another home. You will be expected to be the SME in your field and have a great working knowledge of the one related to your section.

Going to Schools is great, and I encourage all of you to go to schools. Remember there are also online schools and classes you can get in within a few minutes online.. Look on AKO under my training.. Always learn as much as you can, no matter what the resource, it might be relevant down the road.
                      Roger Phantom, I'm working on that. I found the unit, now I need to figure out how to get there and show them what I can do to support there mission and what I can bring to the table. I agree on the Training part you mentioned. I have over 200 Courses, My ATTRS, AARTS, ACCP, ARKP, FEMA transcripts are fairly long in courses. As I've stated in my other post, I'm not looking for a easy path, I want to work with the best, be the best and get the best training... I'm not in for the pay check, I'm in to support the Mission and Serve. I will gladly trade my check in for schools and training. Never know what you will need when the time comes. Better to know it then be lost in the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy13bu6 View Post
                        Roger Phantom, I'm working on that. I found the unit, now I need to figure out how to get there and show them what I can do to support there mission and what I can bring to the table. I agree on the Training part you mentioned. I have over 200 Courses, My ATTRS, AARTS, ACCP, ARKP, FEMA transcripts are fairly long in courses. As I've stated in my other post, I'm not looking for a easy path, I want to work with the best, be the best and get the best training... I'm not in for the pay check, I'm in to support the Mission and Serve. I will gladly trade my check in for schools and training. Never know what you will need when the time comes. Better to know it then be lost in the situation.
                        Very true. Just be careful and make sure that you help others with your knowledge, and don't hold it over them. Some people that go to all the schools(Not all, but some!) walk around like they are better than others or get cocky due to it. That's not why they were sent. Help out your battles with your newfound knowledge, a unit is only as good as its most inexperienced Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
                          Very true. Just be careful and make sure that you help others with your knowledge, and don't hold it over them. Some people that go to all the schools(Not all, but some!) walk around like they are better than others or get cocky due to it. That's not why they were sent. Help out your battles with your newfound knowledge, a unit is only as good as its most inexperienced Soldier
                          Agreed, I def share everything I know with soldiers. I know what you mean, Most get jealous over promotions, info etc... I believe whats good for one is good for the other. The more that know it the better the Team can operate. I always send out links, info and everything to the guys in my unit, no matter E1-E8's. Most of the time I get AKO emails returned on stuff I forwarded to my 1SG and T-NCO as if they are the ones doing it J/K, Unit mailing list I guess.
                          Last edited by teddy13bu6; February 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X