X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-classing

I want to re-class after my deployment. When I get back I will have 3 of my 6 year enlistment. I do not want to wait till I re-enlist. I have two MOSes because I re-classed for the needs of our deployment. What is the best way to do this?

Re: Re-classing

I think the breakdown is you need to finds slots, someone to pay for it and your CO's blessing.

Comment

Re: Re-classing

Originally posted by Goose View Post
      I want to re-class after my deployment. When I get back I will have 3 of my 6 year enlistment. I do not want to wait till I re-enlist. I have two MOSes because I re-classed for the needs of our deployment. What is the best way to do this?
      You really need to work with your chain of command on this. First, get your own head together. Decide what is important to you, and how much you're willing to sacrifice. What is the MOS you want is at a unit three hours away? What if you don't have the ASVAB scores for that MOS, are you willing to study and re-take it? What if the school for that MOS is six months long? Determine what your parameters are now. Your recruiter can give you that guidance. Second, make an appointment to talk to your chain of command (ideally not on drill weekend, when everything is crazy busy), and submit a formal letter of request to change MOS/transfer. In the letter acknowledge your willingness to drive x hours from home, and confirm that you have the ASVAB scores and any other qualifications for that MOS (e.g., color vision, physical standards), and that you're willing to attend the AIT of whatever length. With your recruiter's help, you can determine in advance where a vacancy exists, so identify that in the letter. Do as much of the nuisance work as possible. Make it easy for your chain of command to tell you YES.

Comment

Working...
      X