X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asthma

I apologize, as I'm sure this question is asked so often. However, in my case, it is a bit different so I felt like a new thread was warranted.

About a year ago, I was experiencing some asthma like symptoms when I got very stressed - ie, tightness in my chest and having slight difficulty breathing. Exercise also occasionally appeared to induce it. I told my doctor about the symptoms, and he said I probably had exercise/stress induced bronchospasm, and gave me an inhaler.

However, I don't think I ever had asthma or bronchospasm... I simply needed to learn how to handle stress better, and I was also physically out of shape. I don't have any trouble with either issue now, and do not use the inhaler. My question is, does his diagnosis based solely on symptoms that I described to him disqualify me? If I went to MEPS and they tested me and saw that I was in fine shape, would I be able to join?

(just to give you an idea of where I am physically, I can run 3 miles in about 20-21 minutes, do about 50 pushups in a row and 12 pull ups)

Thanks

Re: Asthma

MEPS did not test me for asthma, they did automatically DQ me for asthma. I was able to join with a waiver. I understand that a Pulmonary Functions Test is given sometimes.

Comment

Asthma is caused by allergens, something triggers the attack. If stress alone is causing your breathing difficulty you would NOT have asthma. And as per your post, your doctor did not diagnose you as having asthma. Furthermore, you stated your Dr. gave you an inhaler, but you didn' state that you had ever used it. Question number 1 on the medical pre-screen is "Have you ever had, or do you have now asthma, wheezing or inhaler use?" So the asthma is out, you never said you had wheezing, and you never said if you actually used an inhaler. Only you can determine what the appropriate answer is. Your recruiter may be able to help you with this issue, ask him/her.
      Last edited by Sgt Nelson; December 11th, 2010, 09:22 AM. Reason: Add additional information

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Nelson View Post
        Asthma is caused by allergens, something triggers the attack. If stress alone is causing your breathing difficulty you would NOT have asthma.
        Ouch, not true. Asthma is not always caused by environmental triggers. Stress or exertional induced asthma is very common.

Comment

Working...
        X