Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it me, or after joining the military civilian life seems extremely annoying??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it me, or after joining the military civilian life seems extremely annoying??

Originally posted by xxjayygrl View Post
    dumb question.....is a veteran any soldier in the army?
    Depends on the context.

Comment

Re: Is it me, or after joining the military civilian life seems extremely annoying??

Technically, no.

Comment

the entertainment factor was #1 in my first unit I was in. I guarantee you've never heard so many jokes, people picking on other people regardless of rank, didn't matter if you were E-1 all the way up to E-6. When I first got in there were rarely E7s around and one crusty old E8, but everybody else was fair game. A lot of the teasing was driven by age, the college guys made fun of the old baldies, back and forth. You kind of got a crash course in learning to get along with all ages, the age range was from 18 to 55.

But when it came down to brass tacks, when we had to perform, we all worked together, did our job as a team. We had one serious slacker. When he came to drill everybody razzed him about getting away from his wife, running from the law, etc. And seriously there were some guys who really loved drill because they were able to get away from their wives for a weekend.

Now that other unit down the road, that was a totally different deal. Those guys had basically nothing to do, so a bunch of them spent all weekend trying to hide from their NCOs. kind of made sense, it was an AG company that had way too many soldiers, but they weren't organized enough to have anything for that many people to do.

Can you imagine being a full-timer in that unit? Having to put up with a bunch of slackers and a bunch of Officers running around trying to look important? Of course this was long before any kind of war.

Comment

xxjaygrl, recently your question was answered at these websites 1) http://www.ngaus.org/tier2.asp?bid=17553 and 2) http://www.stripes.com/news/military...ervists-1.7515

LEGISLATIVE ALERT #10-23 October 20, 2010

The Issue: Authorizing Veteran Status for National Guard and Reserve Members Entitled to Reserve Retirement Pay

Immediate Action Required: Contact your Senators and ask them to expeditiously pass H.R. 3787, previously passed by the House of Representatives and now before the Senate. This bill would authorize National Guard and Reserve members entitled to Reserve retirement pay the honor of claiming Veteran status

The House of Representatives passed H.R.3787 - The Honor America’s Guard-Reserve Retirees Act, September 28, 2010 and sent the bill to the Senate for its approval. This cost-neutral bill provides an opportunity for a divided Congress to come together post election in support of our Reserve Component members.

Many members of Congress may not know that a Reserve Component member can complete a full Guard or Reserve career but not earn the title of “Veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States” - unless the member has served on Title 10 active duty for other than training purposes.

Today, National Guard member’s performing Operation Noble Eagle duty or protecting our Southwestern border in a Title 32 status may one day retire from the Guard but not qualify to be classified as a Veteran of our Armed Forces.

Title 38 (Veteran’s Benefits) excludes career reservists from the definition of “veteran” who have not served on Title 10 (active duty) for other than training purposes. Drill training, annual training, active duty for training and Title 32 duty are currently not qualifying service to earn veteran status.

This cost neutral bill would not bestow any benefits other than the honor of claiming “veteran” status for Reserve Component members who completed a 20 year career but were never ordered to Title 10 active service.

TAKE THE FOLLOWING ACTION:

By using the “Write to Congress” feature provided below, you can IMMEDIATELY e-mail your elected representatives. A sample letter is included in our “Write to Congress” feature. You can e-mail the pre-written message or edit the sample letter as you desire. This is the quickest and most effective method of expressing your views to Congress. Also, contact your friends and family and urge them to “Write to Congress” as well. For more in-depth information and background visit our web site at http://www.ngaus.org/.

Comment

I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses saluting their Sergeant and going to parade rest for a while while DS yells at you...I miss it exponentially.
            Why were you saluting a sergeant?

Anyway, this is not an unheard of phenomenon, it's called "Munchausen Syndrom"

Comment

Originally posted by Vox View Post

Anyway, this is not an unheard of phenomenon, it's called "Munchausen Syndrom"
              I think you're thinking of Stockholm Syndrome

Comment

Originally posted by 11Bang View Post
                I think you're thinking of Stockholm Syndrome
                lol yeah that one.

Wit failure.

Comment

Im 16 and cant wait to join the ARMY. I hate being a civie. Saying im in the military will be the best. Civilians are whinny annoying and flabby. And i look forward to putting my self in the status of the worlds best warriors and being something 1 in a 1000 would have the guts to be. GO ARMY AND HOOAH

Comment

Originally posted by Vox View Post
                    I can't believe that was not brought up in the last 53 posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rokovak View Post
                      Not surprising to hear really. I'm told that the weekend warrior routine will present some unique challenges as opposed to the work life of civilians or military (generally speaking). At least active duty people have only one career to deal with.
                      Not surprisingly, the suicide rate amongst Guard/Reservists is higher than amongst active duty: National Guard/Reservist higher suicide rate

Comment

Originally posted by 0844 View Post
                        Anyone ever notice that civilians walk really slow, especially when they're in front of you at the mall and completely obstructing the entire width of the walkway?
                        Ever notice how civilians, particularly, the co-workers that know you, try to offer you more fatty, salty, sugary foods throughout the course of the day?

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                          I can't believe that was not brought up in the last 53 posts.
                          perhaps she assumed the role of platoon sergeant and enjoyed saluting her first sergeant while giving the report.

Comment

Before I speak on ARNG life let me just say I gave up on civilian life 5 years ago. If it wasn't for bills, the wife and family I would have disappeared in the Bahamas a long, long time ago. Besides being deployed on the other side of the planet (which I will be next year) military life is a dream. Just think: You get paid to do nothing but focus on staying in tip top physical condition, push a little paperwork, and on occassion, GET SOME while your career is safe and sound back in the world.

Finally, a legitimate excuse to get away from the wife. And I mean that in all seriousness even though I love her dearly.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                              Before I speak on ARNG life let me just say I gave up on civilian life 5 years ago. If it wasn't for bills, the wife and family I would have disappeared in the Bahamas a long, long time ago. Besides being deployed on the other side of the planet (which I will be next year) military life is a dream. Just think: You get paid to do nothing but focus on staying in tip top physical condition, push a little paperwork, and on occassion, GET SOME while your career is safe and sound back in the world.

Finally, a legitimate excuse to get away from the wife. And I mean that in all seriousness even though I love her dearly.
                              Wisdom beyond years; Your gonna make a good NCO someday.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
                                Wisdom beyond years; Your gonna make a good NCO someday.
                                Did I forget to mention I also don't want to leave my Jeep JK alone for too long?

Comment

Working...
                                X