X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airborne School - In Process

Well we just completed our first week of airborne school last week. Very easy so far. Lots of information, but nothing difficult. Jumping out of the 34 ft towers seems like a Disney ride. We did PLFs all day Wednesday and part of Thursday. Body was a little sore from that, but nothing too difficult.

We've had a 3.2 and 4 mile run so far. Very slow. Might as well be walking. Fine with me though. I didn't come to airborne school to get in shape. 4 months on Sand Hill and I'm ready to take it easy. The PT is a joke, more like a warmup. Once again fine with me. You hear some guys/gals who are hoping to lose weight or build muscle while they are here. They are the ones really out of shape.

We've already had quite a few people get dropped from failing the PT test, falling out of both runs, etc. You just need to be relatively in shape, stay awake and pay attention and you should be fine.

This week we are supposed to use the 250ft towers. But that all depends on the weather. SGT Airborne actually doesn't want to do them... Says if you really want to do that go to Disney World. They can't use them in Heat Cat 5 or if it's too windy. It's been Heat Cat 5 since day 1 and will be the rest of summer.

Can't wait to get to jump week. We only jump Mon-Wed. Thursday turn in gear and Friday graduate....

Re: Airborne School - In Process

Yea, If you're in shape, arborne is a joke. Pretty much comes down to not getting hurt on your jumps and you'll get your wings. I had a BUDs guy there that broke his ankle on the 3rd jump and didn't tell anyone so he could finish. Landed on his 5th jump and then was like- "did I pass? I earned my wings? Ok, by the way, I need an LOD, I think I hurt my ankle." Come to find out he shattered it in like 3 different places. Maybe not so smart, but Bad *** dudes I tell ya.

Comment

Nice to know, good information.

I was kind of wondering about Airborne, alot of non combat MOS want to do it and complain about the physicality of it.

I suppose immediately after 11b OSUT it shouldn't be a big deal.

Comment

Good Deal, hang in there, thats why its nicknamed the Run and Fall Down school. I have a guy from my unit in your class.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo
          I suppose immediately after 11b OSUT it shouldn't be a big deal.
          When I was there way back in the dark ages, there were about a dozen of us coming straight over from 11B OSUT, another twenty or so coming in from regular army or other AIT (I remember a few MP OSUTs in particular), about a half dozen SEALs and a handful of Marines. Since I was in a summer class, the vast majority of our company was ROTC.

For anyone coming straight out of IET, the physical part was an absolute joke. I remember a few of those coming in from regular army had some trouble. The SEALs were having fun mocking the Black Hats; I don't remember the Marines having any problems.

The ROTC, though - we actually had a couple quit the very first time we did Break Area Procedures. I was stunned. More so because some college kid had actually taken a seat away from someone else, just so that he / she could come all the way to Benning and quit at the very first sign of any duress.

btw - the 250 foot towers were not working when I was there. I guess it's not unusual at all to skip that portion.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisco
            btw - the 250 foot towers were not working when I was there. I guess it's not unusual at all to skip that portion.

I second that one too.. It was too "windy" to do the 250ft towers when I was there 5 yrs ago... but I specifically remember there being NO wind whatsoever lol

Comment

i remeber when i was doing IMLC, my lunches I would ***** to jump tower to watch soliders fall. Good eating and a show I tell you for 3 weeks

Comment

Another week down... We jump Monday!

This past week was he!!. SLT is a pain in the butt... literally.. Forget proper PLFs. All you really do is land Feet, Head, butt. My back, neck, head, and right butt cheek are sore as he!!. It was in the 100's all week and we were in the sun 90% of the time. That and the humidity just takes the life out of you. Plus the days were longer then week 1. Thank God that's over!

Now, on to jump week!. I guess we run to the airfield. Not really looking forward to that in ACU's. But, oh well.... we finally get to jump!

Comment

We had our first jump today... Frickin awesome!!! What a rush. We jumped with the T11's so we get about 2 seconds more free fall then the T10's. Risers were twisted a couple of times so I was falling faster then the others. Fixed that problem and landed **** near perfect.

I was second at the door... Was cool watching everything below before the jump. Wasn't nervous at all. Really wasn't even anxious besides when we first loaded the plane, like pre-game for a football game.. By the time we jumped I was just calm and thinking this is why I came here. It was a great jump. Hopefully the next four go as well... We'll see.

We have a hollywood and combat jump tomorrow.

Comment

Awesome bro, keep it up. Will be seeing ya soon enough at the unit.

Comment

Thanks man... We'll see ya there... got some info from my recruiter on a deployment in 2011 for 1/143...

Comment

Yeah I looked it up on the internet, theres info about it, not much but some and a facebook page for it too. Do you know when in 2011?

Comment

According to my recruiter, winter '11. It's so far out though, who knows if it will change.

Comment

That's not the time frame we've been told. We still need to fill the bn.

Comment

Regarding in-processing, I've been told where and when to show, but what next? Do you simply report to your room and wait until Monday's PT test?
                              Also, do they do a showdown inspection to make sure you have your military-issue eyeglasses and such? I hear mixed reviews on wearing contacts such as "not at all" and "don't get caught" etc.

Fantastic thread, I love this forum for all of its information. And congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X