X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to a different base

I was looking at my papers and I noticed that my base was two hours away from my place of residence. How do I go about changing to a base that is closer to my location?

Thanks,

Re: Switching to a different base

Come on now...you have to agree to join a unit that is over 50 miles when you join. How did you not know this when you were joining?

Comment

My recruiter didnt tell me that.

Comment

The recruiter should tell you that, but when you sign the contract the person going over it step by step is required to inform you of this, you even have to sign it, I am pretty sure, you need to pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
          The recruiter should tell you that, but when you sign the contract the person going over it step by step is required to inform you of this, you even have to sign it, I am pretty sure, you need to pay attention.
          This happens every day...people not paying attention to what they're enlisting in to. 9 out 10 Privates that come to me dont even know what unit they are assigned to when I ask them. Most of them tell me their MOS when I ask what unit they will be going to.

Comment

The unit I am assigned to after OSUT is 80 miles away from me. When I signed my contract, they told me it is in Austin. Thats fine, a little driving not much. But what they left out (after I got home and researched it), the unit is moving soon to another base (Ft Hood, TX) and only at Austin temporarily. The future base is 200+ miles away from me. Even with texan driving is 3 hours plus away.

So like the OP asked, How would one potentially get it switched to a closer unit? Talk to the recruiter? Contact someone at the unit after OSUT?

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo
              The unit I am assigned to after OSUT is 80 miles away from me. When I signed my contract, they told me it is in Austin. Thats fine, a little driving not much. But what they left out (after I got home and researched it), the unit is moving soon to another base (Ft Hood, TX) and only at Austin temporarily. The future base is 200+ miles away from me. Even with texan driving is 3 hours plus away.

So like the OP asked, How would one potentially get it switched to a closer unit? Talk to the recruiter? Contact someone at the unit after OSUT?
              Theres a difference between enlisting in a unit near by and then it moving and enlisting in a unit that is far away from the get go.

If you enlist in a near by unit and then the unit is moved then you have a couple of choices. You can either A. agree to move with your unit knowing that it is outside 50 miles, or B. Choose to find another unit within 50 miles and possibly reclass into a new job.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                This happens every day...people not paying attention to what they're enlisting in to. 9 out 10 Privates that come to me dont even know what unit they are assigned to when I ask them. Most of them tell me their MOS when I ask what unit they will be going to.
                I can beat that, this past AT we had a Private not show up, his excuse. "My recruiter only told me I had to show up one weekend a month."

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard
                  I can beat that, this past AT we had a Private not show up, his excuse. "My recruiter only told me I had to show up one weekend a month."
                  See that grass is greener on the other side!

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard
                    private excuses are the BEST! The ones that crack me up are when you call them, and they dont have one excuse of why they can't make, but around 3 or 4 excuses of why they can't make it. Best is i'm sick, I can't get a ride, and family is coming from out of town. Great! Have your family drop you off to sign your counseling statement and our medics can see you....(sees private few hours later) LOL

edit: One thing my 1sgt use to say was no excuse for being late to drill next month, what is the dates for next drill: we'd sound off. He said you have 28 days to get here, START WALKING!
                    Last edited by SGT Bart; July 29th, 2010, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bdshipley
                      My recruiter didnt tell me that.
                      Welcome to real life Private. Read what you are signing, BEFORE YOU SIGN IT.

Comment

Come on guys...if we don't attack this issue head on right now...who knows how many more privates will be saying their recruiter didn't tell them or lied to them?!?! We definitely don't want that ever happening.....

Comment

I think Im going to suggest that the military change the way we enlist people. It is becoming a serious issue. If I ran things, I would make things available for people to read before they sign instead of the way they do it now...blindfolding them and having them sign with one arm twisted behind their back.

Comment

You guys are harsh!! I thought I had a black heart.

Ok, my private story, happened about a year ago. Had a PV1 report in, I asked him why he wasnt Airborne Qualified yet. He said he didnt have too. I asked him why? and he said it was just a Option his Recruiter told him. I asked if he knew his Recruiters name and phone number? Yes he replies, its in my cell... Priat, call your recruiter right now... Yes he replies and dials the phone... (understand this kid is standing in the middle of the drill hall and is now the center of attention, because I am not being quiet)... Hello Recruiter, this is Private Snuffy, someone wants to talk to you.... (hands me the phone).. Good morning SGT, I have Pvt Snuffy here, and he informs me that you told him Airborne was a Option in this unit, is that correct?... Yes it is, he signed a contract with a "Option 4"... SGT, did you explain to him that Opt4, is a Airborne Contract?... Uh Uh.. He shook his head, like he knew what I was saying, so I dont really know if he knows.... Well SGT, PVT Snuffy, is learning right now, dont you worry, we will fix your mess (click)... Comes to find out the kid No Showed at Benning, because he thought it was Optional. Freaking Privates!!!

Comment

You guys are harsh!! I thought I had a black heart.

Ok, my private story, happened about a year ago. Had a PV1 report in, I asked him why he wasnt Airborne Qualified yet. He said he didnt have too. I asked him why? and he said it was just a Option his Recruiter told him. I asked if he knew his Recruiters name and phone number? Yes he replies, its in my cell... Priat, call your recruiter right now... Yes he replies and dials the phone... (understand this kid is standing in the middle of the drill hall and is now the center of attention, because I am not being quiet)... Hello Recruiter, this is Private Snuffy, someone wants to talk to you.... (hands me the phone).. Good morning SGT, I have Pvt Snuffy here, and he informs me that you told him Airborne was a Option in this unit, is that correct?... Yes it is, he signed a contract with a "Option 4"... SGT, did you explain to him that Opt4, is a Airborne Contract?... Uh Uh.. He shook his head, like he knew what I was saying, so I dont really know if he knows.... Well SGT, PVT Snuffy, is learning right now, dont you worry, we will fix your mess (click)... Comes to find out the kid No Showed at Benning, because he thought it was Optional. Freaking Privates!!!
                              CLASSIC! Thats funny.

Freaking Privates!!!
                              Thats probably my most used phrase...at least 20 times a day. But...alas...they keep me gainfully employed and I love training them. But stilll....freeking privates.

Comment

Working...
                              X