X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning languages

Just curious what you would need to do get "credit" in the ng for knowing another language. I'm currently studying Arabic in college and I'm also using the Rosetta Stone online for it through elearning. Just curious after I get comfortable enough with the language what channels do I need to go through to tell they Army hey I can speak that.

Re: Learning languages

Run into the room and SHOUT ALLAH AKBAR! That will definitely get there attention.

Comment

There's a proficiency test. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure someone on here can let you know more about it. You obviously need a certain score for the Army to deem you 'proficient' enough to be a linguist or whatever you feel like doing with that skill.

If you join and don't go the linguist route, you can complete the Rosetta Stone course and turn in the certificate for promotion points, which I would highly suggest to start stockpiling now for when E5 comes around and they start counting.

Comment

You can request to take a DLPT V. Defense Language Proficiency Test version 5. I am in a company that has language required MOSs and our soldiers are given FLPP (Foreign Language Profeciency Pay) when they score above a 2/2 on the DLPT. I don't know if you can draw FLPP or not if you are in a non language MOS. I am sure with a little research I, read you, can find out.

Comment

Yea I'm a 74d (NBC), definitely no languages required for that LOL. So I should just get with my FLL and ask to take the DLPT? Does anyone know how proficient one needs to be to pass the test?

Comment

Originally posted by defscarlett
            Yea I'm a 74d (NBC), definitely no languages required for that LOL. So I should just get with my FLL and ask to take the DLPT? Does anyone know how proficient one needs to be to pass the test?
            Let's put it this way.. we have soldiers who have graduated from DLI @ Monetrey after spending 16 months out there and not gotten a passing score. Never hurts to try!

Your people may not have a clue about where to send you to take the test because you don't have linguists. They should be able to figure the info out though!

Comment

You will only receive pay for knowing another language IF you are fulfilling a language required slot in a unit.

For example, you could be in an all 35M unit (Hah...sure) but there are only 2 authorized slots for Arabic, and everybody knows Arabic. Only 2 Joe's are going to get language pay for Arabic.

Comment

Originally posted by SGTHess
                You can request to take a DLPT V. Defense Language Proficiency Test version 5. I am in a company that has language required MOSs and our soldiers are given FLPP (Foreign Language Profeciency Pay) when they score above a 2/2 on the DLPT. I don't know if you can draw FLPP or not if you are in a non language MOS. I am sure with a little research I, read you, can find out.
                Yes, if you have a good score on a critical language, you'll get some language pay.

This is only realistic for people who basically already speak the language (i.e., a Vietnamese immigrant who came to the US at age 12). If you think you're going to load up Rosetta Stone and start drawing language pay for Kiswahili, you may be disappointed.

Do a search on the forum, we've been down this road before. All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
                  Do a search on the forum, we've been down this road before. All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

يا سيدي ، أنا مع أن وجعلها بفضل توقيعي! = Sir, thanks for the new Sig Line, I am stealing it, just had to keep it on topic

Comment

I like the fad me and showstopper did with signatures now, it's entertaining LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
                      You will only receive pay for knowing another language IF you are fulfilling a language required slot in a unit.

For example, you could be in an all 35M unit (Hah...sure) but there are only 2 authorized slots for Arabic, and everybody knows Arabic. Only 2 Joe's are going to get language pay for Arabic.
                      Becareful not to give out info if you dont know its accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                        Becareful not to give out info if you dont know its accurate.
                        As I am in a language required MOS, and am quoting verbatim information that was given to me in regards to receiving language pay.

Apologies, my information was made inaccurate by adding the word "only" (As there are 4 ways to gain FLPP). There, I hope this clarifies so that there is no mistake that I would simply just throw up information on the boards.

An officer or enlisted member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is entitled to basic pay, that has been certified within the past 12 months (or 12 months plus 180 days when called or recalled to active duty in support of a contingency operation) to be proficient in a foreign language, and meets one of the following conditions:

*Be qualified in a career military linguist specialty (career linguist) as defined by the Secretary of the Military Department concerned.
                        * Have received training under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of the Military Department concerned designated to develop such proficiency.
                        * Be assigned to military duties requiring such proficiency.
                        * Be proficient in a foreign language for which the Secretary of the Military Department concerned has identified a critical need.

Note that written AND spoken ability must be certified. Also, usually your language must be "critical." Members in a non-career linguist MOS may receive FLPP, but at reduced rates.

Reserve members called to active duty, active duty for training, and inactive duty training who are entitled to basic pay and meet the qualifications above, may receive a FLPP. The Secretary of the Military Department shall:

* Annually certify member's level of proficiency, and
                        * During the 180-day waiver of the proficiency certification requirement, authorize continuing payment of FLPP to eligible members assigned to duty in connection with a contingency operation.

Members are not authorized to receive both FLPP I (Career Linguist) and FLPP II (Non-Career) simultaneously, although members may receive FLPP for multiple languages as long as the maximum monthly FLPP does not exceed $1000.00 for Active and $500.00 for Guard and Reserve.

This information comes from DFAS.MIL, and further information can be referenced in:

MILPER MESSAGE NUMBER : 08-114
                        AHRC-OPI-I
                        FOREIGN LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY BONUS (FLPB) REVISION

As well as AR 11-6.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard

Apologies, my information was made inaccurate by adding the word "only" (As there are 4 ways to gain FLPP). There, I hope this clarifies so that there is no mistake that I would simply just throw up information on the boards.

And that is what RSP NCO was getting at.

You said Only a MOS requring a language gets paid, which was wrong. Which now you provided the correct information.

But the bottom line was it was wrong information. RSP NCO was trying to give you a heads up.

You made it seem that you can only get paid in a MOS that requires a language, when you can get paid for speaking Korean as a 42A in Iraq... Because its a Critical Language.

So all the 35 M can get the language pay, if it is critical.

The word "only" changes a lot. Just like the words never and always they can change the entire context of a message.

Comment

Is FLPP pro-rated for M-day soldiers? I've spoken to one soldier (non-linguist MOS) who claimed to be getting full FLPP pay for Korean after getting a 3/3.

Is FLPP for critical languages only, or can a non-liguist soldier get FLPP for a category B language too (specifically Thai)?

Comment

Working...
                            X