Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E3 -> E4 Promotion Waiver Questions

Originally posted by 7011USMC
    So your saying a that a PFC that isn't "flagged", passes APFT, and is otherwised qualified for promotion wont get it "automatic" cause your not working hard.

Furthermore, the soldier has no No art. 15s, get average to above average ERB, qualified at least marksman still will not get promoted after 24 months TIG.

Too me something just doesn't add up.
    sounds like chain of command (squad lead's) just dropping the ball with keeping squad accountable for everything (including promotions) Just talk to you squad leader. You can sometime get promoted and back dated pay for example: It's March now, but your promotion dates back to Jan when you deserved it. You'll get retro pay, and if your not in a jacked up unit, get your new rank punched into your chest. velcro! Where's the pins at....
    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; March 15th, 2011, 11:02 PM. Reason: Profane

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
      So your saying a that a PFC that isn't "flagged", passes APFT, and is otherwised qualified for promotion wont get it "automatic" cause your not working hard.

Furthermore, the soldier has no No art. 15s, get average to above average ERB, qualified at least marksman still will not get promoted after 24 months TIG.

Too me something just doesn't add up.
      I'm not saying that. If he's all those things, then yes, he should be an E-4

Comment

Are you in an E-4 slot first of all? If not, is there one they can even move you to?

You will be promoted when your commander signs the promotion list with you on it. If you're on it & he's declined to sign, then there's something going on. If you're not on it, then that's something you need to take up with your readiness.

Waiver at the 18mo mark is limited to a percentage of the command. Some commanders try to limit it to the folks they see as the next crop of NCOs. Don't take it personally that you weren't promoted early.

Comment

Originally posted by dnall
          Are you in an E-4 slot first of all? If not, is there one they can even move you to?

You will be promoted when your commander signs the promotion list with you on it. If you're on it & he's declined to sign, then there's something going on. If you're not on it, then that's something you need to take up with your readiness.

Waiver at the 18mo mark is limited to a percentage of the command. Some commanders try to limit it to the folks they see as the next crop of NCOs. Don't take it personally that you weren't promoted early.
          Correct me if I'm wrong sir, but are there such things as E-3 slots? Or are they all E-4 slots until you reach NCO-hood? I've never heard of an E-3 slot, but I don't know because I wasn't an E-3 too long.

Comment

Yes there's slots on the UMR that are listed for E3, E4, etc. Otherwise you'd have a unit of all SPCs.

Generally this kind of thing isn't a problem. We can put an E-4 in an E-3 slot. So, we can just swap a couple people around to accomplish the promotion, then swap them back where we want them. It's all happening at the Company level anyway, so not a big deal.

Comment

Where's that "The More You Know" pic when I need it?

Thank you, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel.gambino
                Where's that "The More You Know" pic when I need it?

Thank you, sir.
                No need. Just takes a quick look at your UMR to see what's supposed to be there.

Comment

The UMR has nothing to do with a PFC not being promoted. You could have all SPC's sitting in PFC slots.

Probably the issue is, the unit simply doesn't realize he's up for a promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
                    The UMR has nothing to do with a PFC not being promoted. You could have all SPC's sitting in PFC slots.

Sorry, got off topic there. He probably just slipped through the cracks. I know when I got E-4, no one really realized it, it just showed up in MyPay.

But TS, squeaky wheel gets the grease. Let them know in a professional manner that you may have been overlooked. Without a doubt, they're not just keeping you there on purpose and like someone else said, you could even get backpay out of it (Just got my E-5 backpay )

Comment

Yes...they could be SPC sitting in PFC slots, but you cant promote the PFC while still sittin in the slot. They would still have to do some moving around on the UMR to make this happen. Not hard to do, happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                        Yes...they could be SPC sitting in PFC slots, but you cant promote the PFC while still sittin in the slot. They would still have to do some moving around on the UMR to make this happen. Not hard to do, happens all the time.
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can also double man a slot too, I believe. That is put two people in the same slot.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                          But that doesn't even make sense. The 4187 the commander signs has nothing to do with the UMR, not to mention their both Skill Level 10.

Comment

The commander doesn't sign a 4187 for this. It's a monthly SIDPERS generated promotion list. They cross out who they don't want to promote & sign it. 4187 is for individual actions &/or requested from higher by the commander.

The soldier DOES have to be in an E4 slot. You can have E4s in an E3 slot, but you can't promote an E3 to E4 while in an E3 slot. It is some simple moves at the Co level, and that does happen all the time, but that doesn't mean the commander WANTS to do that. It's his call.

Most likely the problem is the unit didn't know the person was up for promotion. This is a case where the soldier needs to keep up with things and make sure the unit does know. Sounds like the RNCO is tracking, and probably trying to straighten out the dates in SIDPERS (with an IST it's easy to understand that being screwed up).

Comment

As a commander I sign a 4187 to promote my Soldiers, that's the reason I'm questioning it.

I pay attention to my UMR only when it comes to NCO vacancies and double slotting.

Comment

As a commander I sign a 4187 to promote my Soldiers, that's the reason I'm questioning it.

I pay attention to my UMR only when it comes to NCO vacancies and double slotting.
                                You can sign the 4187, however SIDPERS should not process it if the person being promoted is not in the E4 position. I've seen 4187's kicked back to the unit and the unit told to move the person into the proper para/lin.

Comment

Working...
                                X