Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your unit is over 50 miles away

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

    Originally posted by SteveGuard
    My unit is over 50 miles away, I should ask about this as the drive on the New Jersey Parkway is never pleasant - and I hate doing it 4 times over 2 days.
    Jersey? Betting they get you a cot.

    I never heard of any kind of hotel treat when I was there.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

      Sorry if this sounds dumb, but if they put you up in a cot, are you locked into the compound at night? or do you get a set of keys or gate code?

      Just curious.

      I know most Marine Reserve units will pay X amount for hotels if the Marine has to travel more than 50 miles one way IF approved by the chain.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

        We Put You Up In A Hotel

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

          Wow...all these units put people up in hotels and we wonder why we cant get money for equipment or training

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

            Originally posted by Supersquishy
            Sorry if this sounds dumb, but if they put you up in a cot, are you locked into the compound at night? or do you get a set of keys or gate code?
            Someone usually signs out a key for the group.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

              Originally posted by RSP NCO
              Wow...all these units put people up in hotels and we wonder why we cant get money for equipment or training
              Or you could just loose the entire unit as they cannot keep up the manning and then money for training isn't necessary. The cost of the rooms is a drop in the bucket compared to retaining Soldiers.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

                Originally posted by RSP NCO
                Wow...all these units put people up in hotels and we wonder why we cant get money for equipment or training
                It's actually paid for under safety funds for soldier fatigue mitigation or something like that. And that's no joke.

                I drive 56miles each way. During drill I work about 14hr days on average, which is pretty much non-stop other than lunch. I spend some social time on Sat night, but am in bed by a reasonable hour. Still, I've about killed myself a couple dozen times driving back fighting the Z-monster. If I have to do that both days, it doubles the risk. I have people driving hundreds of miles. Before this, when we were doing cots, people would routinely drive back home a hundred miles rather than stay at the armory.

                The whole state has this IDT-lodging program. I think that's a great use of funds in general, but for folks like us especially. We're an AV unit. If I have mechanics or pilots working when they're so tired they aren't on top of their game, then people literally die. That's not cool.

                I'll take some blown funds to gain some real safety. We negotiate a real good deal with the hotel, and they stay on us about managing costs. I think we're being pretty dang responsible. I'll eat whatever criticism people want to level to hang on to that program.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

                  Originally posted by RedLeg
                  Or you could just loose the entire unit as they cannot keep up the manning and then money for training isn't necessary. The cost of the rooms is a drop in the bucket compared to retaining Soldiers.
                  What's your reason for them not keeping up with the manning? Because their soldiers would have to sleep on a cot instead of get a hotel room?

                  What are we? The Airforce?

                  And does no one train/sleep in the field anymore either?
                  Last edited by SteveLord; February 19th, 2010, 11:39 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

                    Originally posted by RedLeg
                    Or you could just loose the entire unit as they cannot keep up the manning and then money for training isn't necessary. The cost of the rooms is a drop in the bucket compared to retaining Soldiers.
                    And why is it that only soldiers that live outside of commuting distance are the ones that can fill the unit. Aren't these people joining these units by choice? Now I know thats not always the case with the restructuring of units that the guard does from time to time. But even when units are moved, generally the soldiers are given the option to transfer to a closer unit even if that does mean they would need to reclass.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

                      Originally posted by dnall
                      It's actually paid for under safety funds for soldier fatigue mitigation or something like that. And that's no joke.

                      I drive 56miles each way. During drill I work about 14hr days on average, which is pretty much non-stop other than lunch. I spend some social time on Sat night, but am in bed by a reasonable hour. Still, I've about killed myself a couple dozen times driving back fighting the Z-monster. If I have to do that both days, it doubles the risk. I have people driving hundreds of miles. Before this, when we were doing cots, people would routinely drive back home a hundred miles rather than stay at the armory.

                      The whole state has this IDT-lodging program. I think that's a great use of funds in general, but for folks like us especially. We're an AV unit. If I have mechanics or pilots working when they're so tired they aren't on top of their game, then people literally die. That's not cool.

                      I'll take some blown funds to gain some real safety. We negotiate a real good deal with the hotel, and they stay on us about managing costs. I think we're being pretty dang responsible. I'll eat whatever criticism people want to level to hang on to that program.
                      Sir, I understand all about long weekends and about safety concerns and I dont fault you for staying in a room if your state is going to pay for it. But still, everyone in the unit made a choice to join that unit regardless of how far they have to travel and I just dont see how we can justify paying for everyones lodging. Even while it may not be costing a lot with getting deals and what not, most likely the cost of one room would cover an RMA for a PVT looking for some extra work (Like the ones who are on this board every day trying to find some extra work at their units). *thats not to say that we should just go thowing RMA's at people who come asking for them. The Guard is not welfare.
                      Last edited by HR NCO; February 19th, 2010, 11:46 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

                        Originally posted by RSP NCO
                        And why is it that only soldiers that live outside of commuting distance are the ones that can fill the unit. Aren't these people joining these units by choice? Now I know thats not always the case with the restructuring of units that the guard does from time to time. But even when units are moved, generally the soldiers are given the option to transfer to a closer unit even if that does mean they would need to reclass.
                        In my particular case, I fall under the restructuring. The original unit that I was suppose to go to was 20 minutes away from my home. But because of my particular MOS, and unit restructure, I now have to drive 4 hours to get to my unit. Even if I was to transfer to another state, the closest units near me that would accept someone of my MOS would be 4 hours away in two other directions (going to Wisconsin or Iowa).
                        The armory I work out of has bunks and cots. The bunks have been reserved for troops that opt to drink after duty since the "beer fund" goes back to paying for other things in our unit so they don't have to drive back to the hotel intoxicated. The cots are used by the RSP folks that stay at the armory during the night. So it makes sense for us to be lodged at hotels. However, I think it would be a money saver if...

                        A. more cots were purchased or
                        B. people were doubled up in rooms (half of my unit travels about 4 hours to drill) or
                        C. the unit was moved to a nearby base that obviously has lodging for troops

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

                          They actually took the huge male locker room in the basement of our armory and split it in half into a male and female locker room. They put in a second latrine for the females right in the locker room. Both male and female latrine has showers and the state funded us for 20 sets of bunkbeds with brand new mattresses. With us being a MICO we have a LOT of soldiers who drive more than 50 miles to drill. Shoot I drive that to work every day. So it's nice to know that our soldiers have a nice place to stay on drill weekends.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

                            Originally posted by RSP NCO
                            Sir, I understand all about long weekends and about safety concerns and I dont fault you for staying in a room if your state is going to pay for it. But still, everyone in the unit made a choice to join that unit regardless of how far they have to travel and I just dont see how we can justify paying for everyones lodging. Even while it may not be costing a lot with getting deals and what not, most likely the cost of one room would cover an RMA for a PVT looking for some extra work (Like the ones who are on this board every day trying to find some extra work at their units). *thats not to say that we should just go thowing RMA's at people who come asking for them. The Guard is not welfare.
                            You wanna talk about people should have considered factors when they made the choice to join a unit? Well they should have had no question that this is not a full-time job.

                            Privates don't need RMAs. They need to use their TA & get some college. RMAs are for the UNIT to accomplish important items that the full-timers are not able to do on their own. That's not shreading a box of paper cause the readiness is busy. It's stuff like running a project cause the readiness is incapable. You can stack up that simple stuff to do when people show for drill. I'm okay with ones & twos, but I don't need or want a bunch of private type help during the week. I need E-6s or 7s. Like right now I have a SSG in working on driver training stuff for an inspection. She's the subject matter expert. I can't have here there if I burn up my money having privates do my busy work.

                            RMAs are no good by the way. They're less than base pay cause there's no wknds & you don't get BAH or benefits.
                            Last edited by SFC_Wilson; March 15th, 2011, 11:43 PM. Reason: Profane

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

                              I think many of you are over estimating the cost. My current battalion spends less than $2 k a month for the whole battalion on lodging. Covert that to RMA's and you're only going to get a handful of Soldiers.

                              Some armories simply don't have enough room to even house Soldiers.

                              Yeah you can go to the field all the time, except it costs more to feed the Soldiers two extra meals then it does for a few rooms.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: If your unit is over 50 miles away

                                I think we spend around 3500/drill for our BN.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X