X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain School

So everyone talks about airborne school, what about Mountain school in Vt? Has anyone on here been or know anyone that has? I see all the Cadre at rsp that are in my unit wearing the mountain tab. I always wondered if they went through the school.

Common sense would say yes, however I've heard that the 1/102nd is now a mountain unit and the tab is issued with the unit patch. It seems like they wouldn't just give those out. Did some googling found nothing. Anyone know?

Re: Mountain School

Im not sure if your allowed to wear the mountain tab unless your in a mountain unit.

Comment

Mountain "Tab"??? Must be a state thing.

I've heard of the Ram's head for passing the mountain courses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram's_Head_Device

Comment

I'm pretty sure Mountain is a tab part of a unit patch like Airborne is with the flying eagle patch for the 101 or on the 82nd patch.

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Lowe
          I'm pretty sure Mountain is a tab part of a unit patch like Airborne is with the flying eagle patch for the 101 or on the 82nd patch.
          That makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Reference the 10th Mountain Division's patch. the tab comes with the patch.

Comment

Originally posted by WV EOD tech
              Reference the 10th Mountain Division's patch. the tab comes with the patch.

Man, Look who came by!! This must be the season for all the alumni to come back around. This is a good Dude, lots of good experience and knowledge to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                Man, Look who came by!! This must be the season for all the alumni to come back around. This is a good Dude, lots of good experience and knowledge to share.

Awww.... shucks....

I've been lurking.

Comment

Mountain Warfare School is in my home state and I drill at the same range as them. The Army Mountain Warfare School (AWMS) is an Army National Guard installation located in Ethan Allen Firing Range, Jericho, Vermont.

The Army Mountain Warfare School curriculum is broken down into four two-week courses with three general type of mountain-specific skills taught in each; individual, small unit and medical. The Basic Military Mountaineer Courses must be completed before the Assault Climber Courses. The training focus is on seeding the Force Structure with warriors capable of assisting their unit to move through and sustain themselves in the harsh mountain environment.

You get the mountain patch if you are attached to a Mountain unit.

Comment

Good info Firefly, welcome aboard.

Comment

I know we have to share our armory with an MI unit that wears a mountain tab and my bro in law was in the 10th Mtn, but he didn't have to go to school to get a mountain tab or anything. It's like airborne, you don't "earn" the tab like a ranger tab or SF tab, at least not officially.

Comment

Regardless of the recognition, it seems like the training would be advantageous to joes heading over to Afghanistan.

Comment

Mountain Warfare looks amazing. Sadly its closed to females. We see them at chow all the time. Even had a few Rsp classes based on some of their stuff. Its a great training opportunity. VT just deployed to Afghanistan. We are mainly Mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by Firefly
                            Mountain Warfare School is in my home state and I drill at the same range as them. The Army Mountain Warfare School (AWMS) is an Army National Guard installation located in Ethan Allen Firing Range, Jericho, Vermont.

The Army Mountain Warfare School curriculum is broken down into four two-week courses with three general type of mountain-specific skills taught in each; individual, small unit and medical. The Basic Military Mountaineer Courses must be completed before the Assault Climber Courses. The training focus is on seeding the Force Structure with warriors capable of assisting their unit to move through and sustain themselves in the harsh mountain environment.

You get the mountain patch if you are attached to a Mountain unit.
                            Added Info for this:
                            The initial 2 stages are Basic military mountaineer summer course and winter course. Both of them are 14-day courses with long training days. Itís all hands on and makes you proficient in surviving in the mountainous terrain. They are brutal and the temperatures cause stress on even the most physically strong candidates. These 2 courses are the prerequisites to wearing the "Boars head Badge", however, it is little known knowledge that this badge is actually NOT authorized for wear. The only place it is actually authorized is in ROTC battalions. This is why the badge seems elusive, and is never worn on a uniform.

The other 2 stages are Assault climbers course (summer) & ACC(winter). These are geared towards leaders, teaching you how to lead small units over hazardous terrain in the summer/winter months. You must complete the first 2 courses to be allowed to get into these courses.

The mountain tab is not a badge like SF or ranger. Itís a tab that goes above the unit patch. 10th mountain is an example unit that has a patch with the tab above it. Just depends on the unit if you will get it or not.

-Hope this is good info for you guys. Itís not a hard course as long as you are fit physically and mentally. I wish you luck if you go!

Comment

Im hoping I get a slot and earn the Rams Head Device

Comment

Working...
                              X