X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Marine Contemplating guard career

I am a 26 y/o former US Marine Electronic Intelligence Intercept Analyst (MOS2631, Naval equivlant rate CTT) and I am contemplating joining the Guard, though I have a few questions.

First off, I was honorably discharged as a PFC, having received an administrative reduction in rank (details availible if you need them, it was nothing conduct related) from E-3. Were I to enlist would I enter as an E-2 again?

The ravages of civilian food and mom's cooking have taken their toll, and I am in the process of 'slimming' as Ive heard it put. How comparable to the USMC's standards are the Guards?

I am interested in the possibillity of becoming a warrant officer (I love helicopters, and can think of few careers I would enjoy more than flying one). I have completed two years of college, and could have my associates degree within a semester or two of hard work. Am I correct in assuming that a bachelors degree is required for being a WO?

Finally, I am not really interested in another 'locked in a secret box' type job. While rewarding, my time in the 'Corps was a voyeristic military experience, putting me in the role of an observer instead of that of affecting the situation. I would like my Guard experience to be that of direct involvement, so I was curious what jobs you would recommend? Infantry and armor crew are obvious choices, but what other roles can I play?

Thank you for your time,
    Semper Fi

HullBreach

Originally posted by HullBreach
    I am a 26 y/o former US Marine Electronic Intelligence Intercept Analyst (MOS2631, Naval equivlant rate CTT) and I am contemplating joining the Guard, though I have a few questions.

First off, I was honorably discharged as a PFC, having received an administrative reduction in rank (details availible if you need them, it was nothing conduct related) from E-3. Were I to enlist would I enter as an E-2 again?

The ravages of civilian food and mom's cooking have taken their toll, and I am in the process of 'slimming' as Ive heard it put. How comparable to the USMC's standards are the Guards?

I am interested in the possibillity of becoming a warrant officer (I love helicopters, and can think of few careers I would enjoy more than flying one). I have completed two years of college, and could have my associates degree within a semester or two of hard work. Am I correct in assuming that a bachelors degree is required for being a WO?

Finally, I am not really interested in another 'locked in a secret box' type job. While rewarding, my time in the 'Corps was a voyeristic military experience, putting me in the role of an observer instead of that of affecting the situation. I would like my Guard experience to be that of direct involvement, so I was curious what jobs you would recommend? Infantry and armor crew are obvious choices, but what other roles can I play?

Thank you for your time,
    Semper Fi

HullBreach
    HullBreach,

Having an honorable discharge should make it easy for you to join the ARNG. Since you've already completed the USMC Basic Training course, you won't have to attend any "boot camp' related training to join the Guard. Talking to a local recruiter (and providing the documentation you have) may help him/her determine if you can come in as an E-3 rather than as an E-2 (it's always good to be able to have the rank along with the experience you bring in). If you want to keep your MOS, it'll be just a matter of using the DoD Occupational Conversion Index to see how it translate to an Army MOS (most likely as a 98J - Electronic Intelligence Interceptor).

I imagine that you're well aware that it'll be all a matter of going through the pain to get back in shape. The minimum Army physical standards are the same across the board for everyone in the ARNG (we have tables to determine the requirements according to *** and age) and should be easy for you to meet. There are, however, units that by the nature of their mission, require higher standards of physical fitness (most infantry, airborne, LRS and Special Forces units). In these units you'll see requirements similar (and even higher) to those required by the Corps. Believe me, you'll be able to handle them. But like I said before, it's just a matter of letting your body know that it's time to "cowboy up".

If you had a break in service longer than 12 months it would be difficult to enlist into the WOC program, but this doesn't by any means puts it out of your reach. It just means that you'll have to work at it while enlisted into another job (preferably a job that has to do with Army aviation) if you decide to go that route.

If you're looking for something that would get you where you can affect and influence the situation to the fullest, then you're looking for a job with a specialized unit such as Long Range Reconnaissance (LRS) and Special Forces (they are somewhat similar to the USMC Force Recon and Navy Seals respectively). You want direct involvement - you'll definately get it there.

I had the opportunity to conduct combat missions with the 22nd MEU Force Recon while deployed in Afghanistan and was impressed (what a bunch of crazy but great guys). Immediately after working with them, I was attached to one of our SF outfits which made my whole entire experience in Afghanistan something that I would probably never see again for the rest of my military career. I can tell you from experience that if you're looking for a challenge, SF first then LRS would be the route I would personally take.

We have other exciting units that could probably fulfill your need to have that close involvement. The only way to find out what's available in your area is by contacting a recruiter there. I know that there are SF units stationed throughout the continental US and some may be close to you. There may are also be LRS units around your area. Give a local recruiter a call and check out what they have.
    Last edited by SSG Beckering; January 13th, 2011, 12:15 PM. Reason: Outdated information correction

Comment

Working...
    X