X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swearing In once or twice?

When I swore into the guard at MEPS am I really in or am I not really in till I swear in at basic? I was told your not in and can drill but are not really obligated or in until I get to basic and swear in again. Is this true?

Re: Swearing In once or twice?

That depends. If you enlisted into the RFP(Recruit Force Pool) then you will have to swear in again, but if you enlisted straight into the Guard then its "one and done". You will not swear in again. Did your enlistment contract say 1 or 6 years? If it is says one then you are in the RFP and will swear in again before you ship out. Also, if you are in the RFP you will not be drilling. If you are drilling then you will not swear in again.

Comment

I swore straight in to the guard with 6 years on my contract. Thats what I thought but it was just hear say from people at work, one who used to be a recruiter in the Marines. Either way I was just curious and appreciate your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by DNL View Post
        I swore straight in to the guard with 6 years on my contract. Thats what I thought but it was just hear say from people at work, one who used to be a recruiter in the Marines. Either way I was just curious and appreciate your reply.
        Thats because the other branches do swear in twice and are just ignorant about the Guard.

Comment

The National Guard is a dual-status component, meaning that we serve both the State and federal governments. That's why we swear an oath to the governor as well as the president. This means that aside from the RFP enlistments, your oath at MEPS makes you a National Guardsman. Your time in service starts ticking immediately.

Your Marine recruiter friend gave you the right answer to the wrong question.

Comment

Its a work thing they want me to get out. They tell me I should use a recent foot sugery to get out and now this. I can atleast with this prove them wrong. They dont understand I joined for a reason and no one held me hostage or put a gun to my head to join!

Comment

Its a work thing they want me to get out. They tell me I should use a recent foot sugery to get out and now this. I can atleast with this prove them wrong. They dont understand I joined for a reason and no one held me hostage or put a gun to my head to join!
              This deserves an "atta boy"! dont let others make you second guess your decision. You made the commitment and Im glad to see you want to follow through.

Comment

Like I said, it was my choice. I appreciate all the help here and the info! Ft. Benning here I come!

Comment

Working...
                X