X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39 years old considering the guard and going through OCS

I'll try to make a long story short. I'm a 39 year old college graduate with no prior militaty experience that is interested in becoming an officer in the Guard, my AFQT score was 88 (took the ASVAB last week), I was told by the recruiter that I could expect to go throgh 9 weeks of basic and then an option of 8 weeks OCS or one weekend for 12 monhs OCS. Then, I'd get training for my job (not sure how long). I have a wife and three kids and want to know my total time away from home and what to expect. I was told that I would be an E4 until completing OCS. Also, what can I expect in basic training....Or any other information/tips....( It seems to me that i need to save a bunch of money to get throgh mortgage, expenses etc while I'm away from home)Thanks a bunch!!

Re: 39 years old considering the guard and going through OCS

First off- power to you for considering the decision to join. At your age(not making fun of you), most people feel too into their personal lives to join the service in a time of war. Anyway:

ASVAB score is good, I got the same 88. You would go through basic training, then go to OCS. The 8 week course is Active duty OCS, you do it everyday for 8 weeks straight. The other course is actually 18 months, not 12. It's one weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer(exactly like the guard). Then you will set up the BOLC course for whatever branch you choose. My officer course(Quartermaster) was 15 weeks long. For me to answer how long that will take you, answer me: What branch do you want to go?
    While at OCS for the Guard, you will be getting paid as an E-6, but you will wear the O.C.S pin, not E-4 rank.
    As for basic training, someone is posting a blog of everything they have been doing at basic here on the forums, check it out.
    No matter what route you choose, you'll be getting paid, so you just have to plan out your savings. How much you will be making compared to what your normal expenses are. If you do the 1 weekend a month OCS, you will still be working at your civilian job the rest of the days, so the guard will be a little extra money a month. Any other questions?

Comment

I will probably select the Army National Guard . As far as jobs go, I'd like to go into broadcasting or human resources. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by alabaman71 View Post
        I will probably select the Army National Guard . As far as jobs go, I'd like to go into broadcasting or human resources. Thanks
        No, when I asked what branch you were planning on going I meant as an officer, such as infantry, quartermaster, cav, signal, etc? There isn't a branch for broadcasting, unless you get the opportunity to be a Public Relations Officer. But not many states have that as a job unless you deploy or are on active. Human resources would be closest to AG, though Quartermaster & Finance could be somewhat related.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what is the age limit to go the OCS route? I am 38 with law enforcement/EMT experience but no prior military. I am in VA if that matters. Thanks.

Comment

Good for you. I am a almost 37 year old female with two kids. I just signed up for TX NG. I leave for BCT March 8. I will attend OCS afterward. If that's what you want, go for it. Don't wait too long. You can have it if you really want it. Hooah!

Comment

Time frames for OCS vary as EOrsini said, but I will add that there are three different variations of OCS. Federal (active duty) 12 weeks, Accelerated (NG) 8 weeks, and Traditional (NG) 18 months.

Comment

Unless the Guard is different (which I don't believe it is) the age cut-off for OCS is 35 with no waivers currently available. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.goarmy.com/ocs.html

Comment

Originally posted by tfritz28 View Post
                  Unless the Guard is different (which I don't believe it is) the age cut-off for OCS is 35 with no waivers currently available. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.goarmy.com/ocs.html
                  In Michigan, you must enlist before 41 years and 364 days prior to commission. *By your 42nd birthday.

https://g1arng.army.pentagon.mil/Sol...s/default.aspx
                  Last edited by Chris36; January 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM. Reason: Added link, if permissable, to National Guard G1 website via Pentagon.mil. citing OCS admission requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                    In Michigan, you must enlist before 34 years and 364 days, commission *By your 42nd birthday.

https://g1arng.army.pentagon.mil/Sol...s/default.aspx
                    Wow, thats weak for me being in the Reserves (as I can only try for a direct commission now), but good for you NG guys.
                    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 26th, 2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X