X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Recruitment Eligibility

I've recently been giving a great amount of very serious thought to joining the National Guard, perhaps a career in Combat Engineering.
    I've been thinking about this for some time, I have several reasons, the bulk of which being that I have little other choice if I ever want to get out of this whole thats slowly been pulling me in over the last year. Things are as bad as they can be, especially financially. I do have other reasons for joining. I figure, It'll help me better myself, help other people and secure a better future as well.

I have some questions regarding this, though, I'm going through some things right now that I need to know for certain if they will disqualify my eligibility. I realize that I'm over the allowed body fat percentage for enlisting (the military seems picky in this regard, considering that the first thing you do is a couple months of grueling physical training), but I've been working on that some.

My questions regard a current legal situation. I have been accused of assault and family violence, a class A misdemeanor in the state of Texas. I've been assured that the case can be dismissed or deferred if the lawyer is even half awake, the problem is that I have been without work for more than two months, I have literally a dime to my name and I couldn't afford an attorney if I sold a kidney. IF, and this is a big if, this goes all wrong and I happen to be convicted due to incompetence in the jury box, will this hinder or extinguish any chances I have of enlisting into a branch of service?
    Likewise, convictions or otherwise, will this whole ordeal even be considered with my application?

A second question; I noticed that you are required a bank account for the "Sure Pay" method of payment. I've been having some trouble with obtaining a bank account lately and was curious if you really and truly needed one or if i could draft the "Sure Pay" into a close relative's account?

I believe this is all for now. If all goes as I hope and against what I fear, anything I need to have handled will be done so within a few months.
    I'm hopeful that I will remain eligible, I could use the help and the work, and it'll be good to give back what I can.
    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 28th, 2011, 03:02 PM.

Re: Questions on Recruitment Eligibility

I can't believe that all this time has passed and I haven't had so much as a "you should ask someone else".

This website has been about the most worthless thing I've seen.

Comment

Well first off your questions can be more accurately answered by a local recruiter. Sure there are experienced people and recruiters on this site, but for a legal situation like yours most likely needs to be addressed locally with a recruiter not over the internet. Put your info on this page http://www.nationalguard.com/car and a local rectuiter will contact you soon. This is actually a very helpul site for many. I'm sorry you feel that it is worthless, but if you continue the process of enlisting and then hang around here awhile after you do, then maybe you might actually learn something.

Comment

Originally posted by Eight View Post
        I can't believe that all this time has passed and I haven't had so much as a "you should ask someone else".

This forum does not exist to rub your head and make you feel better about the host of issues you have going on. The legal, weight and financial problems combined probably make it difficult to provide a clear answer (if the right people even saw it.) Remember, while many professionals and subject matter experts are members here…they’re also not YOUR recruiter, lawyer, banker or personal trainer. Monitoring these forums is also not in their job description.

Someone in your situation should be going straight to their own local resources. I’m not discouraging you from posting here, but do not base your future on a single thread. It’s always best to expand your research.
        Last edited by SteveLord; November 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I've recently been giving a great amount of very serious thought to joining the National Guard, perhaps a career in Combat Engineering.
          I've been thinking about this for some time, I have several reasons, the bulk of which being that I have little other choice if I ever want to get out of this whole thats slowly been pulling me in over the last year. Things are as bad as they can be, especially financially. I do have other reasons for joining. I figure, It'll help me better myself, help other people and secure a better future as well.

I have some questions regarding this, though, I'm going through some things right now that I need to know for certain if they will disqualify my eligibility. I realize that I'm over the allowed body fat percentage for enlisting (the military seems picky in this regard, considering that the first thing you do is a couple months of grueling physical training), but I've been working on that some.No, we are pretty easy on this actualy. And I just recruited someone that lost 90 lbs in 8 months to join. That is called dedication, a do getter, not a whinner saying its to hard.

My questions regard a current legal situation. I have been accused of assault and family violence, a class A misdemeanor in the state of Texas. I've been assured that the case can be dismissed or deferred if the lawyer is even half awake (a simple case of "**** hath no fury"), the problem is that I have been without work for more than two months, I have literally a dime to my name and I couldn't afford an attorney if I sold a kidney. IF, and this is a big if, this goes all wrong and I happen to be convicted due to incompetence in the jury box, will this hinder or extinguish any chances I have of enlisting into a branch of service?
          Likewise, convictions or otherwise, will this whole ordeal even be considered with my application?

Of course it will be considered. Why would it not? What you have been charged with is Domestic Violence. And of course its the incompetence in the jury box....

A second question; I noticed that you are required a bank account for the "Sure Pay" method of payment. I've been having some trouble with obtaining a bank account lately and was curious if you really and truly needed one or if i could draft the "Sure Pay" into a close relative's account?

I do not think you are right for the military if you cannot get a bank account.

I believe this is all for now. If all goes as I hope and against what I fear, anything I need to have handled will be done so within a few months.
          I'm hopeful that I will remain eligible, I could use the help and the work, and it'll be good to give back what I can.

So hey you wanted answers because this was the most useless website ever.

Here are the answers.

Comment

After the 1st day your thread is posted it no longer pops up on the "New threads sections so most of us may not have seen it. If you don't get a response, "bump" the thread again to get it back up for the day. You bumped it with you "This website has been worthless reply and it got answered. But next time you have a question, don't give the people you want help from an attitude. They are less likely to help you.

Comment

Working...
            X