X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Clearance Denied - Psychologial

Personal bio: 22 Year old recent college graduate (Asian American citizen)

My goal: become an ARNG Officer specializing in MP
    Backup plan: Enlist as 31B

Finished my day at MEPS today: passed all physical tests, spotless driving record, no outstanding debts/evictions/bankruptcies/etc, 97 ASVAB, naturalization and citizenship documents provided, no criminal history.

The problem: I was advised by my recruiter that "'no' gets you into the military." after informing him of one time I pondered suicide. On the psych eval, one question read: "have you ever thought about or attempted to committed suicide?" When I was a young and rebellious 15 year old teenager, I "thought" about suicide after a heated argument with my father (that would be 7 years ago). I made no attempts, or any motions and slept the thought away that night. Question reads "ever thought".

I wrote that I had. Because I have honestly (just) thought about it. I also wrote down when I coughed blood, every single fracture, ever had any pain in this part of your body etc. I was honest about with the questions asked of me.

Because of that, I am being denied a security clearance. My recruiter is trying to get a hold of the psych notes, but for now, it seems that I will be ineligible for both of my aspirations (and reasons) for joining the Guard. Any advice?

This was seven years ago and I never made any remote attempts at suicide, but I have been made aware that any suicidal ideation is regarded as a major red flag.

I weighed what my recruiter told me against my conscience and decided to tell the truth. I met many other recruits with far more devious habits and records that lied and were able to enlist with their MOS' today.

My question now is: can I be eligible for OCS without going enlisted in a different MOS and having to wait the 2 years for a re-eval? Thank you for your time

Re: Security Clearance Denied - Psychologial

You either have the entirely wrong terminology or if someone is actually saying security clearance, meaning confidential, secret or top secret, is out of their mind. NOTHING you have said would deny you a security clearance.

I personally would have put a bit more realistic applications to the questions you answered, but it wouldnt have denied you a clearance, nor can you be denied without applying. Being denied a clearance and being denied enlistment at meps due to medical or psych concerns are two entirely different animals. Its comparing apples and quantum physics.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
      You either have the entirely wrong terminology or if someone is actually saying security clearance, meaning confidential, secret or top secret, is out of their mind. NOTHING you have said would deny you a security clearance.

I personally would have put a bit more realistic applications to the questions you answered, but it wouldnt have denied you a clearance, nor can you be denied without applying. Being denied a clearance and being denied enlistment at meps due to medical or psych concerns are two entirely different animals. Its comparing apples and quantum physics.
      Your first paragraph echoes the sentiments of my recruiter when he found out. When I refer to "security clearance", I mean "secret" level security clearance, which I am told is needed to enlist as an MP or to continue as an officer. My recruiter and my National Guard counselor at MEPS are both waiting for a copy of what exactly the psychologist wrote on his report. We've been told by the medical wing that it will be available next week.

Thank you for your time thus far

Comment

I'm strictly talking about the security clearance process. I cant speak about psych waivers, med waivers or medical screening or even MOS requirements.

If the meps security screener is saying you wont get your security security clearance, ie your secret clearance will be denied then they are being a fool and far too strict. You might be denied under the qualifications for the MOS as an MP to enlist, but enlisting 09S shouldnt be a problem.

This is craziness and the old school thinking that Ive preached about before... 90% of is based on the 1970's approach to the security clearance process and not based in any regulation or training. You'd probably have a tough time finding a teenager who hasnt had a fight with their parents and at one point wished they were dead and suicide crossed their mind for a brief moment. That and the fact that you were 15 alone. An adjudicator would see that and if it's the only thing on your background, they'd laugh at it and grant your clearance.

We have civilians I know for a fact (as their security manager) who have TS/SCI clearances and are on anti-depression medication, have therapy regularly, etc. As long as you realize the problem, see a doc and follow his or her treatment and they dont think you're a threat to your self or others, or at risk to get sloppy with security, you're golden.

Comment

That is something I am sadly aware of. I met a good number of recruits who openly confessed to me about their past (and extensive) drug use, traffic citations, and arrest records. However, I was one of the few people that did not leave with an MOS that day. My recruiter and I will return to MEPS next tuesday, if I need to see a psychologist to evaluate and prove that I am mentally fit to serve as an officer, I will gladly.

My goals are still to pursue an MOS as 09s or 31B, if not, I may have to start researching 21M (firefighting)

Comment

Originally posted by JRMang View Post
            I may have to start researching 21M (firefighting)
            Probably not in the National Guard...those positions are feeeeeeeeeeeew and far between. Your state might not even have any.

Comment

Good integrity here, but I honestly wouldn't consider a fleeting teenage angst moment as "thoughts" of suicide. I think we all know what they mean on this question.

Comment

If everyone was as honest and literal as you, we really would have "an Army of one." I keep coming back to this post and shaking my head, pounding my head on my desk and wanting to reach through cyberspace and smack you upside the noggin.

You're probably a swell guy and I hope that they fix it so you can meet your stated goals. That said, hopefully you learned a little something from this experience and, if not, you'll certainly figure it out during your time enlisted.

Comment

Originally posted by chd View Post
                  If everyone was as honest and literal as you, we really would have "an Army of one." I keep coming back to this post and shaking my head, pounding my head on my desk and wanting to reach through cyberspace and smack you upside the noggin.

You're probably a swell guy and I hope that they fix it so you can meet your stated goals. That said, hopefully you learned a little something from this experience and, if not, you'll certainly figure it out during your time enlisted.
                  Believe me sir, I have learned harshly that I must protect my own interests so long that I do not harm others or place them in peril. While I stood at my NG career counselor's office, I could not help but continue to wonder if "integrity" was truly a value instilled by the Army or simply a word that must be memorized prior to inspection. While browsing through more MOS', I've found that every occupation I was interested in required "secret" level clearance, from 27D (paralegal), 31E (internment/resettlement), to most intelligence/legal MOS'. I will find out tuesday if 21M is available for IL NG when I return to MEPS.

Comment

Question - after submitting the SF 86 on eQuip I discoverd I left out somethings - how do I make corrections?

Comment

Working...
                    X