X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External rhabdomyolysis waiver??

I had a question regarding external rhabdomyolysis. July of 09 I was put in the hospital for 2 days for external rhabdomyolysis due to dehydration. I had ran a road race and the next day had some aches and pains that lasted to long so I got checked out and they discovered the external rhabdo... I took some IV fluids and was monitored for the two days. I was discharged with no long term effects and was cleared to run and workout as I pleased (just to stay hydrated) I am currently 23 years old and have been a full time firefighter for 3 years and completing college online. I am currently in Iraq working on an Army base as a firefighter contractor/when my contract ends in May I hope to enlist in the Guard. However I do not know how my episode will effect my ability to get in. Does anyone have any experience of this and trying to enlist? Any info would be great. Like I said.. no long term effects and was cleared to full duty and activities after 2 days. Thanks for any info..

Re: External rhabdomyolysis waiver??

I had Rhabdo and was in the hospital for 5.5 days. my CPK levels were >83,000 when I checked in. I'm going to send you a pm regarding this issue.
    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; August 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter06
      However I do not know how my episode will effect my ability to get in. Does anyone have any experience of this and trying to enlist? Any info would be great. Like I said.. no long term effects and was cleared to full duty and activities after 2 days. Thanks for any info..
      Rhabdomyolysis is disqualifying. Given that yours had a clear cause and was exertional in nature, and given that you haven't had any long term effects or any apparent organ damage, you might have a good chance at a waiver.

Go ahead and speak to a recruiter. You'll definitely need a waiver, but I doubt your recruiter would see a single episode of this type of rhabod as unwaiverable.

Comment

if you are already in is this something that would get you medically discharged or retired?

Comment

I looked this up way back when it happened to me and what I remember finding was it was fine provided that it was injury or event related (there are two types. Chronic and injury/event related), a single episode, there was no organ damage and you didnt miss a certain % of duty or length of duty were expected to make a full recovery.

Mine was event related. Some people get the stuff and it is constantly recurring. I was fine.

Comment

if you are already in is this something that would get you medically discharged or retired?

Comment

this is something that has been happening over and over again i also am wondering what the following means on my profile it say RECOMMEND NON DUTY PEB, AR 40-501 3-40 U1

Comment

Working...
              X