X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for a friend re combat arms MOS and desire for deployment

I have a friend (it's not me, honest, I'm already in): 34-35 years old non-prior service, some LEO training, and lots of experience as a weapons instructor. What he wants is a combat arms MOS, probably 11B, and he wants to get deployed to Afghanistan (not Iraq) in a unit that WILL see some action. I told him I would try to see what I can find out... He knows what he is asking for will be challenging (one of many reasons why he wants it) and that it might take the better part of 2 years to get there.

He's not against joining regular Army and I told him that might be his best option. I the ArNG can give him what he wants, what would be the advantages/disadvantages over RA?

I'm sure I have some more question but hopefully some basic info will get most of them knocked out.

If it makes any difference he and I are both in Kansas.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

also... I believe this is my first post on the forum but I think I signed up almost 2 years ago. I learned a lot from this resource back then and gained some invaluable insight/help directly (emails, phone calls) that were initiated by PM's on this site. Hopefully I can give back some of what I was given by helping others when they ask.

Re: Questions for a friend re combat arms MOS and desire for deployment

Originally posted by Aaron D
    I have a friend (it's not me, honest, I'm already in): 34-35 years old non-prior service, some LEO training, and lots of experience as a weapons instructor. What he wants is a combat arms MOS, probably 11B, and he wants to get deployed to Afghanistan (not Iraq) in a unit that WILL see some action. I told him I would try to see what I can find out... He knows what he is asking for will be challenging (one of many reasons why he wants it) and that it might take the better part of 2 years to get there.

He's not against joining regular Army and I told him that might be his best option. I the ArNG can give him what he wants, what would be the advantages/disadvantages over RA?

I'm sure I have some more question but hopefully some basic info will get most of them knocked out.

If it makes any difference he and I are both in Kansas.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

also... I believe this is my first post on the forum but I think I signed up almost 2 years ago. I learned a lot from this resource back then and gained some invaluable insight/help directly (emails, phone calls) that were initiated by PM's on this site. Hopefully I can give back some of what I was given by helping others when they ask.
    If he enlists in a combat arms unit, he'll eventually get his chance to deploy. No one can promise a precise timeframe, and no one can promise what he'll actually experience when he gets there.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
      If he enlists in a combat arms unit, he'll eventually get his chance to deploy. No one can promise a precise timeframe, and no one can promise what he'll actually experience when he gets there.
      Thank you for the reply. I think he understands he cannot be guaranteed anything in a contract per se. Are there any steps he can try to take to help increase the chances of getting what he wants? Such as... going ArNG and then transferring to a state/unit that is has an activation notice to OEF. Or on the flipside, try to avoid a unit that just got back from a deployment. Assuming deployment to a similar region, do Guard and RA units typically get similar assignments?

I did tell him that RA would probably be the best guarantee of getting deployed but he would likely have less say in when or where he goes than if he were to play the state transfer card in the Guard. I really couldn't say how a Guard deployment may or may not be different from an RA deployment.

Thanks again,
      Aaron

Comment

You're on the right track already. Enlist in a combat arms MOS, in a unit that hasn't deployed recently, and ensure that his chain of command knows his desire to serve overseas. National Guard and active component Soldiers and units serve side-by-side overseas in all theaters and situations.

Comment

Working...
        X